Again, I am confused....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it is just me, but looking at the rear shot you just posted, she seems kind of flatish on her left side and not the other. In other words, she seems asymetrical. A fat horse should be pretty much the same on both sides when it comes to shape. It could very well be the angle of the photo, but just from looking at this one shot, I would have to wonder when her due date is. If she is pregnant, this unballenced looking weight distribution typically changes, especially in the last month.

A question for you, in the third photo it almost seems that she is sunken in above the hip joint in the croup area and all around the tail. Is that photo accurate or is that just the shading of how the sun is hitting her? If it is accurate, then I would suspect she is closer to foaling than we may think.

Compare these two pictures of the general shape of her belly from the front and rear as it is the best that was posted to compare with the balanced look... Maybe it is me, but does it look like there is an uneven weight distribution that has moved from one side to the other? I notice the flat spot on one side in each picture. This all would lead me to think that she may be pregnant.

7-2-08025-1.jpg

7-10-08029.jpg

I don't know, from what I have seen, I would definately be very very suspiscous about her being pregnant, but still am not 100 percent positive. Would be nice if you could get an experienced miniature horse breeder to give you an opinion in person.

I may have asked already, not sure as I am absorbing so much info right now, but can she carry high enough being a maiden that its expanding her ribs causing her to look less pregnant? IDK

Sun, I will take a pic of her tail head fro a different angle to see.

Is her hind end mush to touch?? You'll be able to feel her tailbone pretty good too, most of the fat will drop off there. I think you may have a week or two, but I'd get ready.
default_biggrin.png

I may have asked already, not sure as I am absorbing so much info right now, but can she carry high enough being a maiden that its expanding her ribs causing her to look less pregnant? IDK

Sun, I will take a pic of her tail head fro a different angle to see.
Maidens often seem to carry higher. This is why it is so hard to tell as the muscle tone on maidens is much tighter. Just think of the comparison between a first time pregnant woman and one that has had a few children. They don't call it hip spread for no reason
default_wink.png
LOL.

And even better, I have noticed that sometimes some mares will carry the baby differently for each pregnancy depending if it is a boy or a girl. Each pregnancy is fun to watch and compare with the previous one on the same horse.

Is it just me or does it seem that Bonny has very SMALL nipples...hardly any at all in that last pic. If she is pregnant, is the foal going to have trouble nursing? Sorry, not trying to add to the worrying factor here
default_no.gif
default_sad.png

She has always had small nipples I guess because she is maiden. I am hoping they will grow when she gets fuller and nurses?

Ok and I took a few more pics tonight bonny was doing this weird thing. She was standing on the crate and she was holding her tail out and she was twitching her vulva, not really winking. I got it on video. weird. I walked her by the neighbors horse to see if she would show to him and she didnt.

Pics and video

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479.../7-10-08091.jpg

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479...=7-10-08114.flv

And a new one of the backside

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479.../7-10-08110.jpg

Well sort of winking, but not interested in breeding cause of that tail swishing! The pic from behind sure looks like a foal bulge on one side!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Joyce I will be anxiously awaiting for your news. I sure hope its not fat.
default_yes.gif

Bonny, I think it's fat! She's not very wide, but has the low slung belly. I'll let you know the minute I get back. Bonny is much wider than Cookie is!

I'm so excited for you but I wish these mares were more predictable! Bonny is all I can think of right now!!!!

Joyce, I wouldn't say that Bonny is MUCH wider --maybe a little! Put both their pics up and ask for more opinions!!

Joyce, I wouldn't say that Bonny is MUCH wider --maybe a little! Put both their pics up and ask for more opinions!!
Plus Bonny is much taller and narrower framed -it's hard to judge
default_yes.gif

Nope. I sat there watching but saw nothing. I wish I could then I would feel better. And the last poo I saw was firmer again.
default_blush.png

Some people have said they never see the foal move at all. When the foal is in position to be born, you won't see the wideness from behind from what I have read. I'm sure you are brushing up on everything!

Every bit of reminder helps Joyce!

I guess I will go to sleep. I will update in the am. Night yall!

Joyce, thanks so much for the encouragement!
default_wub.png
Your so sweet!

hhpminis-dont feel bad I think my vet is the most surprised, he swears they wont breed if they are pregnant no matter what, and when he saw the pics this am he was quite surprised and puzzled. I know he is doing everything he can, with his limited experience in minis. Although Bonny is his only mini client and he sure is getting a lesson!
default_whistling.gif
I do think I have time to prepare but with maidens who knows!
default_wacko.png

Well, I can tell you for a fact....many mares WILL show heat and WILL allow the stallion to breed them while they are pregnant! I had a mare once, who did this every year. I would start breeding her in the Spring (on her foal heat), then she would continue to come back "in" every month & allow the stallion to breed her over & over all summer. Then the following spring...she'd have a foal from the very first breeding the previous spring. Some mares are just hussies! :DOH!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back