Again, I am confused....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been following this post for awhile now, but never posted. I hope you survive the storm! And I want to say, I've only had one foal so I am not even close to being able to give advice, but your girl looks very elongated today!!!!!

Hey Bonny,

As far as the vulva and such...i would guess the foal was closer to the bum one day then the other that is why she looked "gappyish" and as far as being very jellyish...Yes she is very soft! The udder hasn't gotten any bigger yet so I still think you have a week or maybe two to go. BUT, just in case, keep watching her like I know you are!!!!!
default_laugh.png
Joyce is right, you are a great horsey mommy
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

Her udder started July 2nd, so 6 weeks make about Aug 13th. That makes us pretty close to ( hopefully) seeing the udder start to develop again.

Her bun is back and she is wide again. I have her on Camera( sorry not internet ) and am watching her.

I think she thinks this is funny!
default_laugh.png

Her udder is still the same and her vulva looks normal this morning.

Ok so I guess I posted before a full cup of coffee. Her vulva is still longer and her bun is still flatter and her vulva is more pink inside!

Still not much change on the udder clear fluid, not much.

BTW I can only tell if I compare to older pics...

April 15:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479...-15-08025-1.jpg

today

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479...e/8-6-08004.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479...e/8-6-08005.jpg

Joyce- I have 3 weeks till I know if we will have piggie babies!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well there just isnt much to tell.
default_sad.png

Bonny was looking very long and relaxed in the vulva - even more pink inside. But now it is tighter and less pink.

She did this same thing around July 17th.

I am starting to think she is closer to 6 months than foaling.

I got the information and will be sending her urine off to New Zealand to have an essay. Lets hope Dr Henderson can shed some light.

Some days she looks huge and then other days she doesnt even look pregnant.

Lisa, could you please post some pics of your mare for me? I would like to see her. If you want you can e mail them to me...

I am no expert in breeding miniatures, my maiden mare did the exact same thing as yours is doing. Seriously it is like reading my notes on her. When she was way to far over due to have been bred when we thought I had another ultrasound done. turned out that she was not pregnant. We had two confirming ultrasounds on her earlier on, but she must have lost the baby at some point, weird how even a maiden mares body will still act pregnant when she is in fact not. Good luck to you hope everything turns out how you want it to.

choclat dreams - I am sorry that happened to you and your mare. How far along was she when you had her confirmed in foal? I just had Bonny US rectally last week and we saw uterus and fetal membranes, we werent able to get in far and did not see the foal. I also recently took a wee foal that was positive, and that would not have been if it was false pregnancy. Not pointing these remarks at you, lol, more reassuring myself!
default_rolleyes.gif

I am tired, checking on her at night, this foal watch is hard! Kudos to yall who do it for months on end! I did have a friend who sent me a camera system, so that helps a lot. We have at least narrowed the choices down to Stally #1 or #2.LOL.

You know, after reading the previous post I was also reminded of Carbons notes from last year. She did everything Bonny is or has done and looked the same. She was not pregnant, she elongated, she pushed against the wall, she had the same bag and , one day she lay down, pushed, looked behind herself and called to a non existant foal and then everything started reversing. vulva and anus went back to normal, gluteal muscles tightened again, bag receded and no more fluid. I even had people tell me that they saw the foal move back! there was only a phantom foal. A mare at 6 months gestation would not look like Bonny unless she was about to abort. They dont look any different than open mares maybe a bit heavier at 6 months.

I have had two mares have false pregnancies that even fooled my vet who said they would deliver in a couple weeks. No baby from either one.

I hope that I am wrong here.

Lyn

Ok,
default_sad.png
I am thinking here.

I havent felt any movement at all.

But, would she have a fluid filled uterus and fetal membranes if there was no foal? Chocolat - did your mare pass anything? like an empty sac?

We did not find anything. But she could have done it before we brought her into a stall. Sadly where we live there are a lot of coyotes and such, you know? I hope your mare is just fooling you and is preggers!! As for the bag, she had absolutely nothing before we bred her, I mean you would have needed a magnifying glass to find her teats! She got a bag about the size of your mares to slightly larger, but then stopped. She got long in the vulva also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bonny, we had an enlarged uterus and fetal membrane in one of the mares. They can resorb thise membranes and not pass them.

She was ultrasounded with a large uterine horn and fluid sac. We had no baby.

Lyn

Well the only hope I have is the positive wee foal. It says it can detect pregnancy and rule out false pregnancy. Since I got a

positive, can I assume that she is in foal? I am glad I have the urine essay to send off to Dr Henderson in New Zealand.

What do yall think? Did you get a positive wee foal on your mare that had just fluid lyn?

I have never used the wee foal. I had heard before that they were not always accurate. I rely on ultrasound and Estrogen sulfate tests. Minis can do weird things, Ive bred them for nearly 30 years and they have fooled me many times! lol

They do it on purpose Im certain.

Lyn

Thanks Lyn. I guess there is still the possibility that she is closer to 6 months not due.

Or maybe she is due soon and just being strange.

I dont know anymore.
default_no.gif

Back