After gelding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsj

Reaction score
Hi, had my colt Raffles gelded almost four weeks ago - just wondering how long in general they take to lose that stallion behaviour. He is a lot calmer already, it has made a big difference to him. He is going to be 22 months this weekend.

It isn't a problem as such - just something I was wondering about!

Thanks!

I've been glad of the rain for once as it's kept the flies away and he has healed up really well.

Obviously older horses will take longer, usually, than youngsters, and the behaviour before he was gelded is important, too.

An eleven year old stallion I gelded actually took two full breeding seasons before he finally forgot what he was supposed to do. DC, who is three, is still a stallion in his head eight weeks after gelding, yet Misty, who was two and quite "sharp" settled almost immediately.

So, there is no hard and fast rule, really.

So long as you are happy he has been gelded correctly I would just carry on as you are. By autumn he will have settled down anyway, as hormone levels drop around then, and he may well not wake up again next spring.

We've had quite a few "long term" geldings still "breed" mares. Just FYI.
So have we. I haven't seen it with my only mini gelding, and he was pastured with the mares previously; but my husband's saddle gelding is awful when my APHA mare is in.
default_wacko.png
default_rolleyes.gif

So have we. I haven't seen it with my only mini gelding, and he was pastured with the mares previously; but my husband's saddle gelding is awful when my APHA mare is in.
default_wacko.png
default_rolleyes.gif

Is there any chance your husband's horse is proud cut? My sister had a full sized gelding that was and he was horrible with the mares as well.

Hi, that's what my big horse gelding was like! He was a real Romeo.
default_wink.png

I mean other things also, nipping (that stopped immediately) and other dominant behaviours ... droppings all in one place etc

Is there any chance your husband's horse is proud cut? My sister had a full sized gelding that was and he was horrible with the mares as well.
Pretty sure he's not, but he was cut when we got him, so can't be sure. and, he's been around other mares that he's not like this with, just my APHA mare (and her dam before I sold her - both mares are very dominant, so I think that is where his behavior stems from).

I've witnessed the gelding of some of our horses who still "breed" mares if they get a chance, including one gelded as a young foal.

Latest posts

Back