Afordable show shirts that would match a brown stetson? (and in style =))

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Eowyn

Reaction score
*Affordable

Hello,

As most of you know I'll be showing Lil Éowyn for the first time this year. (shes in my avatar) Someone said it would look cute if I matched with her (like, since my hat is brown, wear a white shirt) But idk. What's your opinion?

I'll be wearing my brown stetson.

Are jeans appropriate or should I wear nice pants? what color?

What color of shirt would go best with a brown stetson?

Is a bling belt appropriate or a leather belt?

A braid or bun (for me)?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks!! =)

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to goodwill!

I bought this whole outfit for $5!

And just got a new top, from a thrift store that is brand new from the 70's and LOVE it for only $15...

post-18407-0-29720600-1322546857_thumb.jpg

Thank you chandab--and MindyLee, wow! thats a good deal! I was just looking at your profile pic yesterday and I really like it! =) I have a goodwill, a salvation army, and a thrift store in my town so I'll go check them out =)

Would regular dress pants work or is the a certain kind I should be looking for? And should I be matching my shirt, pants, boots and hat since I'm doing showmanship and halter in hand? Thanks =)

It took a lil while (few months) to find my outfit, But I dont go but every once in awhile. I just looked through the blouse area and came across it. And the shinny tank top on the inside, I just bought material from Joanne Fabrics and had my MIL make it for me. The hat was clearance at a tack store, ($20) and gloves came from a equine expo and paid $2 per pair. Had slip on dress shoes from when I was 17 (now 33) and it all came togather. Now I just buy under shirts for different colors. My outfit is made of all a stretch polyester material.

My other (thrift store find) is a 70's vintage blouse top that reminds me of window curtons made from polyeseter. Their so ugly BUT so cute and perfect at the same time. It is teal and canary yellow with flower print. If figured anything goes with my black pants that it would work. So I tried it at home and YEP! It dose And I even have a teal beaded show halter to match!

When not useing this outfit for show, I have used it for trainning classes from work, and just reciently a funerial.

I show only halter classes, color, showmanship, model, liberty, & sometimes obstical. I prefure to have matching top/bottems. In liberty, I just wear black jeans with a nice colored top. But otherwise I and just now adding different tops to go with my black slacks.

I know with showmanship, you must wear gloves, hat, boots, and belt.

My halters came from Double Diamond Tack, paid $45 each set.

I cant afford the high priced tack/outfits/gear like most, and also dont show my horses on a seriouse level. 3 fun shows and 1 AMHR show per yr. But I can say, with the lil $$$ I did spend, I look just as good as the folks who did!
default_smile.png

Grooming my horses to look like the others, thats another story! LOL Im still working on that!

I have had to learn the lil that I know on my own and still keep learning more every year.

Thanks alot for the info =) I got brown western gloves for my b-day last year so those should work--I'll try to find brown pants and a brownish show shirt maybe-- I'm also looking for a show halter set for Éowyn. Is Double Diamond tack an online store is it it your local store? I just bought a barrel prospect in sep that I'm still trying to pay off so I'm really cheap right now XD $45 sounds like a good deal though. I like the Arabian style ones. =) I just don't know what size though. Shes a class B mini (34 and a half inches tall) and she has a size B halter. I'm not sure what size as in small medium or large mini show halter to get her. Do you have an idea? Thanks!

Shop your local thrift store. Brown dress pants are fine or black pants will go with all colors ( I know doesn't match your horse). Be careful as all browns are not matching so take whatever you're trying to match, say the hat, with you. If you can sew or know someone who does, you could get a white shirt and put trim or bling on it yourself. Good luck and happy shopping.

It looks like the Double Diamond from Indiana that used to be at Nationals no longer exits or at least their website is gone.

You might look at Star Tack, or Ozark Mountain tack. Do a search in google.

Alrighty thanks! =)

There's going to be a couple of tack swaps this spring so maybe I'll be able to find something cheap there--I'll just keep my eyes peeled. =)

A word of advice... once you get your show outfit together, have someone take some pictures of you in your outfit and with your horse. You'd be surprise at what might look good in your mirror in the house may look totally different outside and next to your horse! Also look for anything about your outfit that draws the eye to you first, instead of to your horse. You should look 'put together' but not detract or take the initial focus off your horse.

I agree with many here - thrift store are absolutely the best to find show clothes on a budget! Good luck and be sure to share the finished product with us here!
default_yes.gif

A bling belt is great locally or at Nationals. I would not get anything that would draw away from your horse except in showmanship. You could wear nice cream jeans, or even hunter green. If not showing in Showmanship, a hat isn't necessary, and most folks don't wear them. Giving the color of your horse, I'd recommend a nice royal blue or dark green outfit. Colored (black cream etc )Jeans, and a jacket with a nice shirt underneath is what most wear. Black or brown boots, whatevver you have or want to get. Getting a blinged shirt is becoming very popular too. But conservative is always in fashion in the ring. I'm with others, Salvation Army and Goodwill are my first stores of choice.

Yes Double Diamond is out of business. Star lake, Ozark Mountain are a couple of the vendors I use.

One thing to keep in mind is that if it's really hot, like this past year, many judges will "relax" the dress code and folks will be showing without their jackets, so a nice shirt, not a chemise, is required.

Actually you're in luck. Go to the mall, JCPenny or Sears and check their sales racks for left over holiday dress blouses. There's always some nice blouses with just the right amount of bling. Pair one up with some nice dress pants and there you go. You do not have to have a "western" shirt or look about you per say and actually I prefer to stay as far away from western wear that I can when possible.

Your links are to the site where the bidding was being done and all that shows now is "bidding on this item is over" and "here's other things like it". Unless you saved a picture to your computer you'll have to wait until they come and take pictures.

Totally agree with shopping the thrift stores........Don't wait til the last minute. Just pop in periodically to each one and you'll be amazed at what you find.

The hunter green idea that was suggested would go well with your brown stetson.....and your horse.

As for your hair......as long as you have it up and off your exhibitor number, that's what's important.

Latest posts

Back