Advice for rehab of horse trailer for minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dottj

Reaction score
Hi all, I have bought a double straight load horse trailer that we are going to refit for our minis and thier cart (the work will be done by an engineer)

My question is, should the dividers go all the way across like the 2nd photo or would doing them there quarters the width be better/easier to work around? For the partial divider I am thinking that as my trailer is 1600mm wide I would do the divider 1200mm, which would leave a wee gap to move between them. In either option the partitions would be hinged so fold back for loading/unloading and the horses would be tied. I would appreciate your thoughts.

20200721_152451.jpg

Screenshot_20200721-151951_Samsung Internet.jpg

You're converting a straight load into a slant? I would think leaving a bit of room would be great! The biggest problem with slant loads is you have to unload everyone to get to a horse who needs something. If you have a bit of room you can get in to the front horse if you need to.

You're converting a straight load into a slant? I would think leaving a bit of room would be great! The biggest problem with slant loads is you have to unload everyone to get to a horse who needs something. If you have a bit of room you can get in to the front horse if you need to.

Hi, yes thats the idea, its a full sized float and we think that by changing it to a slant we will make the best use of the space. We will still be able to have a tack area, room for the cart up the front with the two little guys loaded behind. And that was my thinking too, having a gap to be able to get to the front horse would not only be convenient but would give me peace of mind knowing that I can get to them both individually relatively easily.

I like the first option (with the gap) and I REALLY like that the front of the dividers are made so the horses can't reach at each other.

I like that design as well, although I'm thinking that I might go with the same shape but bars for the front taller bit so they can still see each other and to help with air flow.

I have a horse I'm working with on trailer training who is very bad in small spaces. We had to take some of the slats out of the top of the partition(of her band new trailer:oops:) so he didn't feel as closed in before we could even start to close it or he would lose it. I think bars are a great idea for both your reasons.

No advice but can't wait to see what you come up with. I've been wanting to re-do a trailer for my minis for quite a while now. It's on my list of "some day" projects.

I have been thinking of doing the same thing. I would love to see what you ended up with!
Or any wisdom you would like to share!

Very interested in seeing what you come up with. Can you upload pictures of the progress. I just bought a retrofit for minis and love it! My boyfriend is now thinking of overhauling a couple of trailers because there is such a demand for them and it was so hard to get one reasonably priced. Most I saw on line were sold before I even contacted seller. He's a retired welder/sheet metal worker so would do the work himself. He wants some ideas and safe options. The one I ended up buying was local from our little village, so now I have also made a new friend as well!

Very interested in seeing what you come up with. Can you upload pictures of the progress. I just bought a retrofit for minis and love it! My boyfriend is now thinking of overhauling a couple of trailers because there is such a demand for them and it was so hard to get one reasonably priced. Most I saw on line were sold before I even contacted seller. He's a retired welder/sheet metal worker so would do the work himself. He wants some ideas and safe options. The one I ended up buying was local from our little village, so now I have also made a new friend as well!
Hi Pitter Patter, I’m new on this forum and see your home town is not too far from us. We are about 40 miles north of TC. We just bought two minis a few weeks ago and may be looking for a trailer. If your boyfriend builds the trailers you mentioned, we may be interested in buying one. I was happy to find a fellow northern-Michigander on this forum and hope to learn a lot from you and others!

LOL. I'm a newbie too! I work in Bellaire! There's a mini in Ellsworth needing a home. Blind in one eye, sweet but skittish. Going to auction on Nov 7 in Gaylord if there is no interest. I would love to get together sometime!

LOL. I'm a newbie too! I work in Bellaire! There's a mini in Ellsworth needing a home. Blind in one eye, sweet but skittish. Going to auction on Nov 7 in Gaylord if there is no interest. I would love to get together sometime!
We live between Central Lake and Ellsworth! We have our hands full with the two we have or I might consider the mini you mentioned. I hope they are able to find a home for it. I am retired so maybe we could meet for lunch or something while you’re at work. How can I reach you away from this forum so we don’t bother everyone else with our communication?

Latest posts

Back