Adequate size for a driving arena

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spots n splashes

Reaction score
What is the adequate size for an arena that will be used primarily for driving practice at home?

For a mini, I have a 90 x 90' arena here. Although it's okay, it's the smallest I would want to use for sure! If you can go bigger than that, DO!

Andrea

Mine's even smaller than that. I've got a 60x100 feet driving ring and I second the opinion that if you can go bigger, you should. Although mine is ok for just going round and round, it is not really big enough to practice barrels and poles. But I love it anyways, as some people dont even have what I have and it was the biggest we could fit in the area we had. It took a ton of fill and gravel and crusherdust to make it and cost me 5000. You have to do what you can and then be happy with what you've got.
default_smile.png

I consider my whole yard my arena actually. I have thought about making a specific arena- but then didn't want to be limited by fencing for when we tired of schooling. So I use my flattest area on the side which is like 120 x 90 for that kind of work and then to break it up, hit the "trail" and go all around the yard, down the hill, past the "deer", along the road- which we do have a fence along the road so that is safe. It is filled with obstacles of all kinds including archery deer targets, kids and dogs, a flagpole w/ a flag.

Do you really need an arena? LOL I was thinking this morning about how much I love my setup. My barn and paddock is right out the back door. My round pen is next to that. Nice little pasture with some hills and enough room to drive and keep my 2 in good shape.

With minis, it is amazing what you can do with not a ton of land. We have a acre and a half here and we have a blast. We have access to fields across the street and woods behind us as well- but mainly I have a blast working them here and it is safe
default_yes.gif

Angie

Latest posts

Back