About miniature horse prices???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkoffaith

Reaction score
I also am having a problem finding a nice AMHR mare to start my herd. I finally was able to purchase a nice 33 inch AMHR stallion to start my herd (thank you Salty Creeks Farm). However as of yet no registered mares. I currently have 3 mares and one filly but all are unregistered. I have had all my minis for years and am familiar with the care and cost of providing for them. I would love to find a nice mare that would compliment my little guy and would love to find a mare that I could buy on payments. Do many farms really do that? How does usually work, does mare stay with seller until fully paid for? amount payments usually are? Would love some advice on this.

Thanks everyone.

I have only used payments once, on a couple of geldings. They way we did it, is we paid a down payment, and were able to take the horses home on that day. We paid payments monthly, but we did not get registration papers until we had paid off all the payments. It seemed to work rather well, and we had no problems with it. I'm not sure if this will help you at all, but i thought i would tell you what i know.
default_rolleyes.gif
: :bgrin

We have done payments in the past. When I am not personally acquainted with the buyer, I have kept the horse until at least 1/2 paid for. If payments were timely and I feel good about the buyer, then I will offer to allow the buyer to take the horse home, but papers stay with me till paid in full. I also put something in writing about them either buying insurance on the horse during payments, or some sort of agreement if something happens while either at my farm or theirs before being paid off. I know that having everything in writing is not always a 'fix all' but it does help to put things into perspective for all concerned. I have been 'bitten' once, but prefer to think there is more good than bad in this horsey world.

Oh, and I live in Illinois, if you ever want to come see some of my mares. I have AMHR mares of all shapes and sizes. :bgrin

Angie

Hi, I thought i would reply to let you know that i also bought all of my minis on payments,

I paid a down payment then i was allowed to take my mini home then, I purchased 5 of my

minis from the same person and she held on to their papers and we had a sign contract also,

It worked out well for me and her, as i went back and purchased others from her the same

way. My first mini was a 37in Amhr mare, I wouldn`t trade her for anything!!

Good Luck in your search,

Tina

Last edited by a moderator:
I have sold several on payments. I usually get one fourth to one half down. Length of payments vary. On one recently, they paid half down ($1,000) with the balance due within 60 days. I have received as little as $300 down and up to 6 months to pay (regular monthly payments) the balance. It just depends on what works out the best for both parties. If I do not know the person/have not done business with them before, I keep the horse here until it is paid in full. On occasion, I have let the horse go with down payment and hold the papers till paid in full.

I have always paid cash when buying, except for one occasion. I bought a stallion, mare, and filly with the filly on application. I paid for the stallion and mare with the agreement to pay for the filly when the papers arrived. I got the bring them all home together and paid the balance on the filly about a month later.

Not to hijack the thread... but...

why do people always start with a stallion? A stallion can breed lots of mares, but each mare (barring embryo or oocyte transfer) can only have one foal per year. So why do people invest in stallions rather than mares? It seems self limiting... after one generation your stallion is useless unless you want to inbreed/linebreed... Is breeding to other people's stallions as rare as it seems? Or is that just a false impression?

It would seem that one could purchase breedings for far less trouble than it is finding, purchasing, owning, and breeding their own stallion. Why is it (and yes, this is a very honest question) that every farm tends to have their own herd stallion rather than search elsewhere for new and high quality genetics?

Actually I have had minis for about 8 years now. I had a stallion that did have AMHR papers but as I wanted to breed a batter quality miniature he is now a gelding. I was lucky enough to find my current stallion a 33 inch appy from great bloodlines at a price I happened to have at the time. I am thrilled with him. I like stallions. I love their presence, attitude, and lol, even laugh at the trouble those determined boys can cause at times. I have breed 2 foals in those 8 years. Lost the first one in the very begiining due to lack of education on fescue (thick sack) and also the foal was not formed properly. The second foal, a beautiful filly, was an accidently breeding, also due to error on my part. Neither of those mares or the once stallion now gelding will be used for breeding anymore. They are here for life as companions and driving horses. I have also learned a great deal due in large part to this forum. I didn't just purchase a stallion just to have one for breeding purposes, I specifically wanted a certain type and was lucky enough to find him. It took my several years but he is here now. I hope to find some mares I would be equally as pleased to have and start, the right way, from there.

I love them too... both of my boys are intact. I certainly understand what you are saying! Its a reoccuring theme that I've noticed lately, I'm not picking on you
default_smile.png

Well, dang it all ........I love the boys! It is their showiness, attitudes and mannerisms. I have seven. :bgrin

Only one of them was used to breed last year. None the year before.......yep, have 35 broodmares. But , you can see that I do not feel I need to have foals just to have them.

I think that the minis are so easy to keep compared to the full-sized, that many people believe it is "easier" to have their own if they want to breed than to spend money to ship/take and retrieve a mare, plus stud fees and the mare care. Now, there are some elegant stallions out there and some can be booked -- others can't. What one desires for their own breeding is a personal selection. Sometimes they find after a few foals that they want to incorporate other bloodlines, get rid of a problem stallion, are not producing what they had hoped, etc. Other times, they are happy and all is well.

No matter the reason.......I LOVE THE BOYS!!! :bgrin (ok, not so much if they get out & into mischief
default_wacko.png
: )

Great post, Bess :)

I love all my boys too! I love my girls too, and hate sending them away! :)

Susan O.

I also am having a problem finding a nice AMHR mare to start my herd. I finally was able to purchase a nice 33 inch AMHR stallion to start my herd (thank you Salty Creeks Farm). However as of yet no registered mares. I currently have 3 mares and one filly but all are unregistered. I have had all my minis for years and am familiar with the care and cost of providing for them. I would love to find a nice mare that would compliment my little guy and would love to find a mare that I could buy on payments. Do many farms really do that? How does usually work, does mare stay with seller until fully paid for? amount payments usually are? Would love some advice on this.

Thanks everyone.

i've never purchased a horse all at once. only ever done payments. the biggest part is usually the downpayment, which can be around half. the horse stays with seller until fully payed for, which means if the horse needs farrier/vet work, it is the buyers responsibility, which usually isnt too bad. i've payed in different chunks. just whatever i had by the end of the week, i'd give them. sometimes that was a few hundred, on other occasions only $25.
default_wub.png
:

good luck finding a nice little mare!
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks everyone.

i've never purchased a horse all at once. only ever done payments. the biggest part is usually the downpayment, which can be around half. the horse stays with seller until fully payed for, which means if the horse needs farrier/vet work, it is the buyers responsibility, which usually isnt too bad. i've payed in different chunks. just whatever i had by the end of the week, i'd give them. sometimes that was a few hundred, on other occasions only $25.
default_wub.png
:

good luck finding a nice little mare!
default_yes.gif
:

this is the fourth time it's repeated it self. now that's not a forum hiccup, that's a burp!!!
default_wacko.png
:

OH HOW ON EARTH DID I DO A QUADRUPLE POST?????????????????????????? :ugh:

I have sold on payments, and the way I've always done it is, the horse stays here till paid in full, unless it's a repeat customer, then I hold the papers till paid in full. Where in MO are you located? We're in the south central part of the state.

Melba

Latest posts

Back