Abby eats poop!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
My 1 yr old Border Collie/ Aussie mix dog Abby eats dog poop...her own and the other 2 dog's poop.....ick!!
default_smileypuke.gif
Is there anything I can do to stop her from doing it? I tell her to "drop" it, but...she just eats it faster...BLEH! If I know she has eaten it, I don't want her near me to lick my hand...ewww!!

default_smileypuke.gif
You're right...it is totally gross...

I am not sure what would help, but have read that this occurs most often in female dogs, and is a result of them being "wired" to clean-up, and is a sign of subservience. This is something that the "lower caste" wild dogs/wolves etc...will do around their dens to keep it clean and safer from preditors. In a way, a much wider version of a mother dog cleaning up after her pups.

default_smileypuke.gif

There are a few products that I know of,

Potty Mouth

Yuck Mouth

Detour(works the best! IMO)

Also my vet said a to give a small amount of pinapple to her and the other dogs. It should stop her from eat hers and the other dogs poo.

Good luck!

Feeding pineapple...cool...maybe that is why I haven't had the problem. I am always eating it, and the dogs love it too.

Feeding pineapple...cool...maybe that is why I haven't had the problem. I am always eating it, and the dogs love it too.
Maybe it is due to lack of sleep but...

LOL sorry Sue but that just struck me as so funny in fact I am crying I am laughing so hard.. I would hope the fact that your eating pinapple is not the only reason you personally do not have that problem ROFL

Last edited by a moderator:
Hee hee hee Lisa... I didn't see it that way till you pointed it out...
default_smile.png

At any rate, there are feed-through supplements you can buy that will deter them.

Andrea

Callie eats her own and other dogs' poo, too. But she goes in cycles. I haven't seen her do it in, maybe, more than six months. Although really nasty to us, it probably doesn't do them any harm (as long as they're on a good worming program
default_wink.png
). It amazes me the things I see go in their mouths; I'm shocked that they don't get really sick (swallowing up decayed frogs, baby birds, dried out raccoon bones with skin on it from the ditch
default_smileypuke.gif
). Katie is the worst for that kind of stuff. Of course, I usually get most of that stuff away from her but I can't watch her all the time and I don't even want to know what other nasty things she has swallowed before daddy has caught her lol

LOL sorry Sue but that just struck me as so funny in fact I am crying I am laughing so hard.. I would hope the fact that your eating pinapple is not the only reason you personally do not have that problem ROFL
EEEWWWW-EEEEWWWW-EEEWWW!!!!!!!!!! You GUYS!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_rolleyes.gif
default_biggrin.png

View PostSue_C., on 20 August 2010 - 07:23 AM, said:Feeding pineapple...cool...maybe that is why I haven't had the problem. I am always eating it, and the dogs love it too.

Lisa I think you are a little warped, I didn't read it that way either til you pointed it out, now I'm laughing out loud here.

default_laugh.png

You can also try meat tenderizer or papaya added to her food.

( same stuff that is in the commercial products)

It works on some dogs, others are near impossible to break. Then you just have to be really quick on the picking up.

Pineapple... I read about that one, for dogs that is,
laugh.gif
Saw that one on the show "its me or the dog" victoria stillwell.

Also, you should put some enzymes and probiotics on the dogs food. I use the one by naturvet, called digestive tract aid ... has lipase, cellulace, protease and lactabacillus in it. good luck\.

I guess I'm as warped as Lisa! I was all, oh good thing Sue eats her pineapple so I don't have to send her some breath mints!

I didn't know dogs ate dog poop! I knew they'll eat out of the cat litter box (Mmmm Almond Roca!)

I would ask what kind of dog food are you feeding? You might want to switch to a more specialized brand?? Sounds like she is lacking in something. Ew, I wouldnt want her licking me either!

Lisa, REO, LOL, I thought I was the only one that warped!! You guys are killing me here!! LOL

Ha Ha. I forgot about the cat poo. All dogs love cat poo...Ewwwww! I truly do not believe the whole "lacking something" thing. My dogs are fed excellent food in addition to some cooked meat and rice. No one else eats poo, except for Callie. She's raised four litters of very fat, healthy puppies and always had tons of milk. So...nope, it's not that she's lacking anything. You can actually do more harm to a dog by adding vitamins to a high protein diet. It's a behaviour. As people, we find it abhorent. Dogs sniff bums to say hello. They LOVE that. Poo does not mean the same thing to them as it does to us. Gorillas vomit in their hands and eat it
default_smileypuke.gif
. It doesn't mean they are lacking anything.

Oh yuck... well thanks for your input Matt, and I got visuals on all that, LOL

So how do you make them quit it? Blech!!!
default_smileypuke.gif

Thanks for the laughs (I thought the same thing you did Lisa....lol) and the suggestions. I will try a few of these things and see if any work. Our other 2 dogs do not eat dog poop; just Abby. I know it is not a lack of something in her diet...we feed very high quality dog food to our dogs (1st ingredient is MEAT...not corn or other fillers).

Picking it up right when our dogs go is not an option, since at the moment anyway, we have a dog door and the dogs have "free run" in and out.

LOL@ Robin and "almond roca" cat poop.....
default_laugh.png

There are many reasons a dog eats his/her own pooh (and other dogs)...sometimes it could be they are lacking something, sometimes it just taste good to them...ex: my lab had never ate pooh in all his 13 years and then I started feeding these peanut butter treats...he ate pooh...as soon as I got rid of the treats, he stopped. Many times a dog that was raised in a cage alot when they were younger (pet store, pound, etc) will eat their pooh simply for housekeeping reasons. Some dogs will do it for a dominance thing, to rid of the "other" dogs pooh. Some dogs just do it because they can.

My rescue rat terrier did/does it...I have almost broken him from it from just watching him and yelling no when he goes for it, but he will occasionally still if he finds a terd and I'm not there...best way to break them...pick it up and dispose of it.

Here's an interesting tidbit of information. If your dogs "wolf" down their feed very quickly, it does not have time to digest properly and it comes out very much in the same condition it went in. So, to the dog, it is another serving of yummy dinner! You can help nature do its thing if instead of feeding a large serving twice a day, you provide smaller servings several times a day. That way the food has time to flow properly thru the dogs' systems and digest better. Just a thought.

Back