A question about the Mylar knock off bits...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chamomile

Reaction score
I have a few of these bits and like them very much. I am worried however as I just found out that they are made in China. Do you think they are using lead?
default_unsure.png
: The bits I have I have twisted and pulled and pounded on them and found no weaknesses. I read somewhere that they are made out of pot metal and then coated in stainless steel.

Do you think it's best to go back to a plain old half cheek, non pinching snaffle? (Although now I'm wondering if that bit is also made in China
default_wacko.png
: ) I just cannot afford to buy the true Mylar bits, although I do have one and LOVE it. (I got VERY lucky one time and got three Mylar bits on eBay for $100! The other two had a much higher port than I would ever use however, so I sold them and kept the one with the lower port.) Anyways... What do you guys think?

Test it for lead. You can find the lead tests at stores that are for kids. (Mother-in-law is testing everything in their house for lead due to my new niece...)

What concerns ME... have you been to the Estate Horse Supply website and seen the one that broke in half???

Andrea

Ive never heard of a stainless steel plating. Id do a lead test and leave it at that. its done with a chemical coated wipe. as far as construction if it seems solid Id not worry about it. the Chinese seem to make great COPYS. in everything from guns to bits they make parts that are hard to tell from the originals. they are so good at copying that I can imagine why the dont design there own stuff. DR.

Here is the pictures from Estate Horse Supply in OR (I recommend them as a tack supplier!)

badbit3.jpg

badbit1.jpg

This worries me. I almost bought a non-Myler but changed my mind. Also, my horses go along just fine in regular snaffles so no need yet to graduate to a different bit.

Andrea

I think if you inspect your bits before every drive you're no worse off then you are with your bargain variety no-pinch snaffle. Who knows where they come from either!
default_wacko.png
: I really dislike the action of those knockoff bits compared to a Myler and if I get another horse like Kody who isn't happy in a basic snaffle I will go right to another Myler instead of wasting money on a lot of cheaper bits that don't work as well.

I would never say that with a big horse as there are lots of perfectly good bits available for them without paying for brand names, but for the minis there just aren't enough good bits out there. We're getting there, but not yet.

(Hopefully) Made-in-America Mylers for me!

Leia

After looking at the broken bit in the photo in person, I would NEVER buy that brand of bit! The metal piece that broke is VERY thin! And that is certainly not the only case I have heard of with that happening. :no: I will save my pennies and stick with a Myler.

Latest posts

Back