A pedigree wish.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizzie

Reaction score
I do wish, that many Mini owners with websites, would put pedigrees for their horses. This especially for those with stallions at stud. I don't mean just listing the sire and dam, but print out at least a three (and preferably more) generation pedigree of the horses they offer. As much as one might like a stallion, we cannot breed responsibly without knowing the pedigree of the sire we consider. Newcomers don't always know the background of a given horse and must then try to look up his background, or email the owner. I know many here do list pedigrees, but so many don't.

Having been in horses for the last 40 years, I understand fully that pedigrees don't make the horse and especially those further back than in about the first three generations. However, I want to know who those horses are/were. Are there horses relating to my own? Did I like them etc? I wonder what the membership thinking is on this.

Lizzie

I have extensive pedigree charts on each of my horses' individual webpages... even the geldings'
default_wub.png

I'm a pedigree buff but conformation and type, of course, come first with our horses. I feel some bloodlines are prepotent for some characteristics and other bloodlines work well together, so they are a factor that I consider when selecting a new potential breeding horse
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Pedigree is always the last thing I look at, but I do like to see it for the sole purpose of trying to find pictures that I can look up so I know what kind of genes may be lurking. I do believe I have pedigrees listed on a few stallions (if not all? On my phone so can't look) as well as some of the horses I have for sale. I try to get as many as I can into allbreedpedigree.com as that makes things so much easier.

Some people put way too much stock into pedigrees. I want to see the horse and his/her sire and dam and siblings along with foals. I have bought horses without even seeing a pedigree at all until i've gotten the papers. Some of my best stallions have come to me that way.

This is one reason I have subscribed to the AMHA Studbook Online since we first got into minis in 2004. Back then it was $75 a year and then it dropped to a bargain $25 a year. Worth every penny!

I have extended pedigree's on all the horses on our website. Some even include pictures when available. Takes a lot of time and research to gather the information and then get it on the web. Figure it is what people need to know.

I'd actually like to see registration numbers listed; I've visted some sites recently where there were horses listed as being ASPC/AMHR registered...even gives the pedigrees for these horses...yet I know very well that they are not actually registered yet & in some cases are not actually eligible for the ASPC registration for one reason or another. It's very misleading and some newcomers could be very disappointed if they buy the horse after looking at the pedigree and trusting in the "registered" wording without actually doing a studbook lookup to confirm that the horse does have the registration papers the owner claims he has.

I am so happy to hear that others agree with my wishing to see pedigrees and knowing that many of you do indeed list them. I know sometimes it's a bit of a job putting pedigrees on websites, but I'm sure in the long run, it is of interest to most who might visit one's web page. It is the same as listing prices. People are busy and often will not write to the seller or stud owner, to discover the price of a stud fee or ask the price of a horse for sale.

Another thing I'd love to see, is advertisers listing the LWO results on horses. The phenotype doesn't always tell us whether a given horse is positive or not. This is something (I feel) is vitally important to know. I applaud those who do.

Lizzie

I also like to see pedigrees and am working on gradually adding it to our horses on our website as well. Some are done, I just scan both the A and R papers and put the copy on the website so that it has the proof that they are in fact registered, their number, and their immediate pedigree. Takes a lot of time though and that is why it isnt finished yet
default_rolleyes.gif
! But that being said, I have bought several horses without knowing pedigrees and they have turned out to be some of my best horses.

Latest posts

Back