A little help is needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpsellwood

Reaction score
I’m posting on the forum to see if we can get a little help for our dear friends Mike and Nancy Houghton of Woodstock Miniatures. They are having an abundant amount of medical problems which are making it very hard on them to do the many chores that have. So a lot of us have been emailing back and forth and decided to send them a little money, so they can pay someone to do their chores for them. Maybe have enough to pay for all the extra gas they are having to pay out going back and forth to doctors appointments. I know they have to chop wood a lot of it living in Minnesota, maybe some of this can go towards that as they can no longer do it all by themselves. I’m hoping that this will prevent them for being forced to get rid of all of their horses in a hurry. Maybe this little extra will allow them to have the time to place them in deserving homes or be able to make it more chore friendly for them??? I don’t know. All I know is that they are very giving people and if you can, maybe give to them.

Their address is posted right on the front of their website, so Im going to put there website address and you get their address there.

Visit My Website

Here is just one of the emails that I got back,

Hi All!

There are 62 names on Nancy's email list! Do you realize that if we all sent them $ 10.00 a month they would have $ 630.00 extra money a month to to pay someone to clean their home and someone else to come chop their wood! They probably have lots of other expenses we don't know about and this amount of money could help give them something very important.... peace of mind! Because they live so far out in the wilderness, they would need more money than others would to get someone to travel to do these jobs. Even a gift of $5.00 a month from us would help so much. if all gave $5.00 a month they would receive $315.00 a month! If we all just give what we can, it would help so much!

Nancy has always been there for me with any mini questions I have had, no matter how silly they sometimes must have seemed! Not many successful breeders are so gladly willing to help others learn! She is a one of a kind person that truly loves people and animals! I am sending a 10.00 bill once a month(starting today!) to her address. I am going to send cash (folded inside of a Christmas Card or just a piece of paper). They do not have the means to easily go to the bank to cash checks and I don't think any of us live close enough to be the one to deliver moneys donated. I live in CA. Mine first donation is going out today! This will truly be a special Christmas for them knowing they have friends across the US! It will also be a special Christmas for all of us knowing that we truly have the real meaning of Christmas giving in our hearts!

I know you are all special people because you are on Nancy's list of friends! Have a very wonderful Christmas! Health and happiness to you and yours throughout the new year!

I am sorry to hear they are having such a rough time. Maybe there local clubs can get together and see if they can arrange a couple days a month or even one day a month to go up and help out with some of the physical work?

Just a thought I wish they were not so far away

I am sorry to hear they are having such a rough time. Maybe there local clubs can get together and see if they can arrange a couple days a month or even one day a month to go up and help out with some of the physical work?Just a thought I wish they were not so far away
That would be awesome, I too am so far away in colorado, I was telling Mary Lou I tried to get them to move this way about 5 yrs ago, just because the weather is a little easier believe it or not. But they couldnt live their home.

So I hoping whatever anyone can do will help them out just a bit
default_smile.png
At least so they arent in panic and having to get rid of horses.

Heres an email I recieved and I got permission to post it,

hi brenda,my name is penny maxwell.i am nancy's 1st cousin.thanks for organizing

this for mike and nancy.it will bring them some piece of mind. i know nancy gets

so worried when mike goes to the barn and now we have a storm coming on thursday

and friday.i will write a letter to nancy and mike and will enclose some money

for them and send it off tomorrow. i will try and get over to see them after

christmass and will let everyone know how they are doing. if they could find

homes for all the horses that would be ideal but i don't think nancy would be

very happy with out horses but maybe they could keep a couple in the barn that

is closer to the house so it's not so far to walk. also great job at the world

show this year!!! i am the proud owner of wood stock norths dominos dream boat

annie.she is a yearly filly.nancy and mike sure have done a good job with their

breeding program! thanks again penny

I own a Woodstock North Mare and Nancy has been a DREAM helping me with any questions I have with her ( plus she is a dreamboat to deal with....both Red Hott and Nancy!)

I send her the Cape Cod Times every week, since she always told me she wanted to visit here, and will never get to do it now......$20.00 a week from us is so little for all her love and help over the years!

Every little bit helps!

THANK YOU everyone for any help you can provide, either weekly, monthly or one time!

God Bless You ALL!

dru

Are there any 4H members or FFA members of school anywhere near them?I am sure if asked those kids would be glad to help in exchange for some hands on experience and wealth of knowledge about Miniature Horses.there are lots of awesome young people out there willing to help if asked.I know it is sometimes difficult for people to ask for help, but sometimes you just gotta do it as you get older.You have to do what is best for the animals whatever it takes.good luck-wish I were closer.I could get lots of volunteers.

They might try calling a High School. When I went to school I cleaned stalls for a grade. I bet they could get some ag. students.

Would it be worth emailing them? I live in Minnesota and could help do chores.
I think that is a terrific idea do you live close? None of us that know them live close.

They might try calling a High School. When I went to school I cleaned stalls for a grade. I bet they could get some ag. students.
Maybe if someone that is close to them could call nearby schools and see if they could gets to work for grades.
Excellent ideas!

Merry Christmas to everyone!

What a wonderful post, I mean about the support to read on Christmas. All helpers, please give yourselves around of applause. It is good to know their is still this much good in the world.

God Bless them, they will remain in my prayers.

As I said earlier, I send Nancy the Cape Cod Times, Sunday edition, and stuff the envelope full of things she might like ( including the $20.00) today I printed out photos of her mare's two babies in the snow, and will include them, along with some shells I found on our beach. She is ALWAYS so thrilled to get these mailings.....

Nancy is a tree hugger from WAY BACK and would LOVE anything she can read relating to nature and animals, of any and all kinds. PLEASE send her things as well, because I know she reads everything!

She sat and watched a snowstorm throughout the day yesterday and told me how beautiful it was.......

Such a lovely lady...and her husband is SO devoted to her, it is sweet, beyone words!

I'm also starting to bake for her as well. I WISH I lived closer!

Thank you all for doing this! You are one of God's gifts to Nancy and Mike!

dru

Its so hard to hear about how hard things are going, with me being in SoCal about as far away as I can get. Our Woodstock North boy has brought us nothing but joy and good things, and Nancy and Mike are such good people!

I send her pictures all the time of Appy and his babies. She says they always cheer her up!

Very nice of Brenda to do this posting and Mary Lou for allowing it.

Nancy and Mike are WONDERFUL people and I own Painted Sue and promised Nancy a lifetime home for her when I bought her. Sue is now going to be 20 yrs old and is happy out to pasture with several of my other older gals.

As a nurse it has been very hard for me to read her emails knowing both Nancy and Mike are declining very rapidly in health. I know they don't always email back BUT if you are familiar with them I know they would be tickled to read a upbeat email from you!

If you get a chance read their website and all the valuable information about what they have tried to do thru the years!

God Bless!

I just wanted to let everyone know that Nancy cant get access to LB so please dont think she is being rude by not responding. They have web tv and it doesnt pull it up anymore. I have no idea how it works at all.

I agree with Diane, she about disowned me when I sold Dancing Queen.

Oh Yes! If you have a Woodstock North horse it MUST stay for life! (I'm not sure if it's the horse's life or yours!) ;-) ! ....... OR if you'll loose YOUR life if you sell it!

As far as her computer access, she does have Web TV and isn't able to get on every day and her EM's are short as it tires her, but she DOES read it ( Web-TV, I mean) Mike doesn't at all but I KNOW she reads it to him.

I was never able to meet Nancy in person, but I talked to her through e-mail quite a few times and I know she was a very sweet, caring, and loving horse mom.

God bless you Nancy and your wonderful husband

Please keep us updated

You can add my name to the list of forever keepers of a Woodstock North horse. I own Woodstock North Topaz, and if it wasnt for Nancy, I dont think I would of ever have been so interested in the Gold Melody Boy lines. WOW--Nancy sent me countless emails telling me more and more. When I had my first dilute born out of Topaz, Nancy was the first one to see him, and explained everything about color and lines. She really is a walking book of knowledge about her horses.

I was so sorry to hear about there declining health problems. I just wish I lived a few hours closer to her and Mike. Breeders like Mike and Nancy are far and few between, they definitely are a team that cant be beat when it comes to loving not only each other but there horses as well, and not only caring about one another but caring about anyone and everyone who is interested in miniature horses.

Corinne

I wanted to wish everyone here a Happy New Year!!! Thank all of you that pitched in with your generosity and helped these fine people out a bit. They truely needed it and appreciated it!!!

Latest posts

Back