A Link for EVERYONE to read

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donna

Reaction score
I wanted everyone to have a look at this article that I found, it is by far the most informative article that I have run across. If you do not have any idea of what I am going through, you will after reading this. I am going to post as soon as my mares start foaling . I can't tell you how hard it is dealing with the fact that I, myself, was feeding my mares POISON and FREE CHOICE

http://forages.oregonstate.edu/is/tfis/boo....cfm?Chapter=17

I'm sure glad I never had any serious thoughts about breeding. Gave up that idea when I moved, as my whole pasture is fescue.

Donna,

You weren't doing it knowingly! Please don't beat yourself up, that man is a monster!

(((HUGS)))

Jodi

Great article. Thanks for sharing. At least now you are forewarned and are taking steps to ensure that the mares have a better chance of foaling without problems. Hang in there and let us know how it's going.

That IS a very informative and thorough article. Have you talkd to your vet about giving your mares Domperidone as the article had mentioned?

This is just such a nightmare.... will be praying for your mares and coming foals...

edited for spelling

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if the hay can be tested to see if it is neophyte free??Does the county extension service do that?? The newer grass mixes ,at least part of them list "certified neophyte free fescue" . Supposed to be some out there thats safe(tho I won't buy seed mix that lists it.)If the hay crop was planted recently it might not be dangerous.

UPDATE AS OF TODAY FEB 12, 2007,

I do have all my mares on EQUITOX which is Don-Peridone. They have all started to make little bags, the key is to have the medication in them at least 15-20 days before foaling. They have been on it since Wed. Feb. 7th.

Here is a copy of an email I received only moments ago from the Extension Agent that tested my hay.

Donna,

This is the message that I received from my colleague at the University of Kentucky. He had their forage group (five individuals) look at the sample.

Message starts here:

"I hope you got my phone message on the hay sample. All agreed (5) mainly fescue. Tim Phillip's picked through and came up with approx 50%fescue and 30% OR and BG and other misc. stuff. So this could have been an OR field at one time and had thinned. "

This means that the subsample that I sent to Kentucky was about half tall fescue, 30% bluegrass and orchardgrass, and 20% other species and material.

I also spoke with my colleague on campus this morning and she reported the following:

"The hay sample you sent me is mainly tall fescue with minimum amount of orchardgrass, foxtail barley and horsenettle seedheads."

Horsenettle (Solanum carolinense) is in the nightshade genus and can be poisonous. However, it tends to cause to nervous system symptoms and I not sure that it would be relevant in your case. Here is a link that describes nightshade poisoning: http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/poison/plants/pphorne.htm.

We will have the results of the alkaloid test back at the end of this week or early next week and they will give us a better idea of what is going on.

I would set aside that hay, but keep it in case we need to look at a more representative sample of the entire lot.

At this point, I think that you have done about all you can by taking the hay out of the mares' diets and starting the Domperidone.

Chris D. Teutsch, Ph.D.

Latest posts

Back