A horse's registered name

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will be my first foal in a month or so.. I am still learning and study and make sure that I am doing right and asking several question as much I can.

Which I used to be a rat terrier breeder and learn the hard way...

As in my contract always "You agree to leave "Short's or SRT" in the UKC and AKC registry so we can track all our litters in our past and make the buyer to sign the contract and if don't like it and go look for someone else... I do believe it is important to keep the lineage to be tracking by the breeder as just in case if something happened to the former owner as they will return back to me.. Also the another breeder as might have a lineage out my past breeding and they will be asking me question as generations or temperment or genetic problems (as hip, elbow, heart, lcp and palleta)...

I will have a contract with the buyer as leave the breeder (as like Rockin' S _______) or we get full name and only let them change the "voice" name... as calling name..

So, yes - if someone didn't agree w/ me and took out of the breeder's farm/name out of the registry..

It will be so upsetting...
default_wacko.png

God Bless!

Wow, isn't this a can of worms
default_smile.png

My two penn'orth is that a breeder breeds the horse and deserves credit for it, even if they have not registered it in both registries.

Personally I am always a bit offended by the suggestion that someone "cannot be bothered" to register in both registries, there may be other reasons, especially if the person is only a member of one registry, or only has to do with one registry.

Of course it makes sense, if you can afford it, to register in both and maybe all (we have three, or is it four registries at the movement!!)

Our rules state a horse cannot have it's registered name changed, so I am not asked if a horse is registered into another registry with my prefix, even though it is registered to me alone, as this is not seen as a registration, per se, but more as an "extension" of the original registration.

So long as everything, name, breeder, owner etc is exactly the same it is straightforward, I cannot see the problem.

The original breeders saw fit to breed raise and register the animal, they should get to take the credit when and if it wins, after all, if it turns out to be a cow hocked skew jawed bad tempered so and so the owner would be quick enough to say "I did not breed it, Annie Oakley did!!" wouldn't they????
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm the one registering a horse (as in "hardshipping" into AMHR from AMHA papers or hardshipping from scratch into AMHA), I am very likely to put my prefix on the horse and possibly change the name entirely. I feel if the breeder wanted to name the horse in whichever registry, then they should have gone on and registered the horse (and paid the fees to do so). There are some cases where I may opt not to change the name but my feeling on it is that she who does the papers and pays the fees gets to choose the name
default_yes.gif

Also, if my understanding is correct (pretty sure it is on R at least), a horse who is already registered with AMHR may only have its name changed if 1. the breeder agrees in writing, 2. there are no offspring, 3. there is no show record, AND 4. a fee of $100 is paid. I do not think it is possible to change the name of a horse already registered with AMHA.

You know, big horses don't usually put farm names in their registered names. They use part of the sire and the dam name and usually represents the famous bloodlines. This would truly give credit to the horses, not the people.
Guess it is my "big horse" background that is the reason why I register our foals using a portion of the stallion's name as well as usually trying to add a bit from the dam whenever possible.

I have paid to cross register a few of my horses, and wouldn't think of taking away the breeder's name unless it was a registered prefex, and I wasn't allowed to. IMHO, in cases like that, the registry should be able to take this into consideration, and allow the original breeder's prefex to be used if presented with a letter of permission from the original bereeder to be kept on file.

Just would like to clarify a couple of things. I am only asking would you be willing to allow a person buying a horse from you to change the registered name from your farm name to theirs. You already have the horse registered, but they want it to have their farm prefix.
HECK NO .... no way....unh unh ....
default_no.gif
.... don't even ask.
default_rolleyes.gif
That prefix is MINE and it STAYS on horses that come from my place. And I'm so glad both registries won't do it without my permission. That's like THEFT !!

Just would like to clarify a couple of things. I am only asking would you be willing to allow a person buying a horse from you to change the registered name from your farm name to theirs. You already have the horse registered, but they want it to have their farm prefix.
No way, I would not agree to that situation...
indifferent0014.gif
I would possibly allow them to change part of the name (possibly, as the names I use often recognize one or both parents), but there is not any way I'd allow my prefix to be removed from one of the horses
confused0036.gif

I did once allow someone purchasing a yearling to change her name, they just added their prefix to the end of her name. I allowed it, because they weren't taking off my prefix, and because I understood why they wanted to change it. It was only changed with AMHR, and I had to give them a letter with written permission.

No way would I allow my prefix (farm name) to be changed to theirs, unless the horse was really, really ugly.
default_new_rofl.gif

Latest posts

Back