A horse's registered name

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo Acres

Reaction score
I was looking at a show horse that caught my interest. In doing research on this horse I found out that the current owner has changed his registered name to included their farm name. For example say I had a horse named Echo Acres Im Make Believe. Someone bought the horse from me and changed it to Windmill Farms Show Blaster. (THESE ARE TOTALLY MADE UP NAMES) If there is a windmill farms, sorry, I just made it up.

So they totally removed the breeders name from the horse and put their farm name on the horse. I was just wondering how you guys feel about this? Do you feel that it takes credit away from the breeder and gives to someone who shouldn't, do you feel it doesn't matter? Does it make a difference if it is a Mare, Stallion, or Gelding?

I was just looking for opinions. I do have to say that if I wouldn't have done extensive research there would have been no way I would have known where the horse came from. I have heard this horse win at many shows but only knew it as "Windmill Farms Show Blaster" (example only) and that made me think it was one that they had raised.

Okay, fire away...

Having been in the position of having a horses name changed with out permission ticked me off.

Its now my policy if I feel strongly about a horse to show it at least till it gets a point then the name can not be changed.

I have a slightly different scenario here. I bought a mare that is only R registered. I plan to A register/hardship her. I wont be able to use her REAL name (cant register with someone else's prefix, right?) so her name will be different in AMHA.

As far as just out right changing the name, I'm very against it! Also, I would think this would be a very hard thing to do with either registry. Is it not? Oh my!

Viki

I thought they had to have the original breeders permission to change the name? Or is that only in certain registries? I would be very upset if someone took off my farm name on a horse I bred. One of the reasons I give discounts to show homes is because I know it promotes my farm.

At least in AMHR, I know you cannot change the horses' registered names without breeder permission.

So I am guessing you are talking about hardshipping a horse? In that case, if the breeder cared that much they could have done it themselves to ensure the name was there. Otherwise, the owner can pay the money and name it whatever they like.

Personally, I don't like registered names that have a farm name on them, I like short registered names without a farm name because I think it's so much more classy, like the HORSE owns IT'S OWN name, and makes a name for itself. But, to each its own.

I personally drop the farm name off of horses that I hardship. If the breeder wanted to spend the money to get papers on it (AMHA, AMHR, ASPR, PtHA, whatever) they had the opportunity at one time.

Andrea

The horse I had changed was a paint.

AMHA and AMHR are much harder to have changed than PAINT was at the time. I dont know what it is now.

Yes with AMHR, when you allow the new owner to do the paper work.

They give 3 choices of names, and they can add what they want.

If the horse was not born on your property, and you do not have permission, I feel it is so wrong.
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I was not talking about hard-shipping. I think that is a different story. But to change a name on a horse that was already registered. The horse I was talking about is a gelding, and I am assuming they had the original breeders permission. But it wasn't hard to do according to the new owner, just paperwork and permission. Of course this was at least 3 years ago, I don't know if the policy has changed.

On a gelding, of course they can't reproduce, so no offspring would be involved. But the person that owns this horse now is getting all the credit. We are talking a multiple national champion. Only to not be known that they did not breed that colt. Now in that case the breeder must have given permission, so I guess there was no issue between them.

I just wanted to know if you were presented the question from someone who wants to buy a horse from you if they can change its registered name to theirs would you be willing to do it?

No, I was not talking about hard-shipping. I think that is a different story. But to change a name on a horse that was already registered. The horse I was talking about is a gelding, and I am assuming they had the original breeders permission. But it wasn't hard to do according to the new owner, just paperwork and permission. Of course this was at least 3 years ago, I don't know if the policy has changed.On a gelding, of course they can't reproduce, so no offspring would be involved. But the person that owns this horse now is getting all the credit. We are talking a multiple national champion. Only to not be known that they did not breed that colt. Now in that case the breeder must have given permission, so I guess there was no issue between them.

I just wanted to know if you were presented the question from someone who wants to buy a horse from you if they can change its registered name to theirs would you be willing to do it?

Personally if I gave permission for them to change the name I would not go back later and be upset since they could not do it without me saying ok in the first place.

Since the rules are they have to have my permission and the horse could not have accumulated any show points I do not see it as to much of a problem. I am sure there are cases I would have no problem doing so

I also agree with Disney when it comes to hardshipping a horse with a name of my choice.

I had a buyer ask to change a foal's name that I had bred... I agreed as long as I approved of the name.

Andrea

My boy was only registered AMHA and when I sent in for his R papers they wouldn't let me use the farm prefix that was part of his original registered name. So he ended up Fox Squirrel Farm's Sound of Rain. The Sound of Rain part was part of his original name and the Fox Squirrel Farm is my farm name. (My highly productive farm of three geldings)
default_wink.png

I had a buyer ask to change a foal's name that I had bred... I agreed as long as I approved of the name.Andrea
I'd agree to this, too. We sold a foal that THEY could name him but we needed to approve it first. The first name they chose, I refused. It was a mare's name - this was a colt. Poor guy woulda had a complex!
default_laugh.png

I have several horses that I've bought that I love the horse- hate the name. *IF* I would decide to change it I would contact the breeder first and they would keep the breeder's prefix on their new name.

We did hardship several AMHA horses into AMHR (when it was much cheaper!) and yes, we did keep all the original names.

Lucy

When we went to register some mares with AMHR that were not of our breeding, we were told that we could not register them under their names as the prefix was already taken... well, yeah - by the breeder!

But we were not allowed to register them under their correct names - and they already had extensive show records in AMHA. The person on the phone suggested that we merely drop the breeder's farm name and use our own! We explained that was not right - as we did not breed her - and the AMHR person said so what - it does not matter.
default_wacko.png

Well, it does matter. We ended up changing some spelling very slightly to make it "acceptable".

But IMO the idea that you can simply use your prefix on someone else's horse - and thus appear to be passing it off as your own breeding - is just wrong...
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Just would like to clarify a couple of things. I am only asking would you be willing to allow a person buying a horse from you to change the registered name from your farm name to theirs. You already have the horse registered, but they want it to have their farm prefix.

I am not saying would you go back and change your mind once the horse has started winning and say you shouldn't have done so, I don't really think anyone should have that right. They made the decision to approve the name change, done deal.

I really do think this is a individual decision based on the circumstances of the sale, and just wanted your input on if you would consider it and under what circumstances. Such as the horse is a gelding, it is being sold to a friend, and so on.

I for one don't like a horse to have 2 different names under AMHA and AMHR, but that is my personal preference and a whole different topic. But yes if the person was hard-shipping it in to the other registry, then I guess the name would be their choice. The breeder had the right to do so and didn't.

No I would not allow it to drop my farm name.

I might approve something if they wanted to add theirs to it for their hard work and representation but definitely NOT Drop my name.

Gosh I just had to go look at my papers.
default_laugh.png

I have my papers right in front of me here and when I bought a stallion in 2005, he was AMHA registered only. In 2006 I wanted him to be registered with AMHR so that his foals could be double registered. For the name, I put the same name that was on his AMHA papers and sent AMHR a copy of the AMHA papers, the forms filled out along with the money to AMHR and on his AMHR papers, is his same name, same breeders name, everything the same as in AMHA .

So I don't know why they let some keep the same name and not others. I was glad though as both AMHA and AMHR papers match on everything.

I think it would be to confusing to have a horse with 2 different names with 2 different registeries.
default_new_shocked.gif

I wouldn't want him to have my farm prefix as I wasn't the breeder.
default_wink.png

Then also getting to the question in hand.. I wouldn't want anyone to change my horses name.
default_no.gif

So , If i understand this topic correctly...pretty much most of you are against re naming...What if you hate the name because its the name of a place and not a name that fits the personality of the horse? Do you not buy the horse in fear you will upset the breeder? what about keeping the silly name ( and most of them are ) and giving her a nick name ? Some of these names are literaly 5 words long...I am not going to use this name while I am training, or calling her in to eat dinner...are you against re naming at home ? I would love to be able to re name the horses and re register them with a better name...but I thought it wasnt allowed.If you breeders are so adimit about keeping the names ....come up with better , shorter names...not just a publicity act to show off your barn....The spirit of the horse comes from within the horse , not because it was born on your property. and if the horse does well in the classes its because it has a dedicated trainer. I say when you give up the horse and go to the bank ...give up the horse entirely, or agree on a name that is a shorter version, so new owner is happy too. Personally I think its bad luck to change a name , like changing a boats name ...but to tell you the truth i have decided not to buy a nice horse because the name was terrible.
default_unsure.png

What if the seller told you she would buy your horse , but you had to spend the money the way she wanted you to?
default_new_shocked.gif
When you buy a dog do you keep the name ?How many of you change boat names...we even change our name when we get married ...but cant change a horses name ...truth is you want credit for the horse should it perform well in the future....well maybe the trainer should add his name to the horse to get credit too.
default_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back