A gut wrenching day for me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
Today is a rough day for me. I've been holding my AQHA mare for almost a year for some family friends to purchase (long story, they kept pushing it back, and i understood their circumstances) and today was the day we finalized the sale.

This horse is very special to me, she is a 20 year old mare, the been there done that patient kind, that is still very competative, and are nearly impossible to find. I learned to ride on Josie. Heck, she taught me everything I know about horses that cant be learned from books. I was trying to find her the best home possible, and ended up selling her to someone I trust will give her the best care possible. They have boarded their horses at the stable where I board as long as I have been there, and their horses are well cared for, and have the best of everything. I showed with their daughter, and they had been bugging me for years to buy Josie for the mother. They wanted a sane beginner horse that could also do local shows and barrels and poles at a competitive local level. Well, that's my girl, and I hadn't been using her for the past year, so decided to rehome her with them. They just built a house, and a barn, and were planning to take Josie and their horses home this weekend, but due to winter storms, weren't able to get hay and sawdust in time, so Josie will be boarded at the stable where Midas is atleast for the next month, and I will still be able to see her.

When they do take her home she will be about 2 miles down the road from the stable and I will be able to visit, and even ride if I want. Shes going to have her own private 1 acre paddock away from their geldings and once they are all introduced, if everything goes well, she will be turned out with their 2 geldings in their big pasture.

I know its a better situation for her, and she'll be well taken care of, it just breaks my heart, because shes the horse I promised I would never sell. I've had other horses, and sold other horses, but none were like her. She was my once in a lifetime horse.

I know its hard, but at least you know shes going to a loving home, will be well fed, loved on and cared for, will be ridden and shown and you can visit and ride her when you want to, as well shell have other horses to be with and you know the people, although its hard, in the end, both of you will be happy
default_laugh.png

What a great home you have chosen for your friend and the best of situations to be able to see her any time. It sounds wonderful to me.

I know it must be so hard. Will keep in prayers for peace in your heart over her.
default_wub.png

I made the same decision late last year with my Arabian. I'd had him 15 years and he was easily one of the smartest, funniest, and most talented horses I've ever had the pleasure of working with. He was also a total ham and was not ready to retire from showing. Both his new owners and the trainer that owns the stable he's at have promised me he has a lifetime home, and I'm welcome to come see him any time. I get wonderful updates and have seen firsthand how loved and how happy he is. I really admire you for making such a hard but responsible decision for your horse, and how great that you'll get to see her flourish and compete again with a new rider.

I know how it hurts but you have the best senario for her and you

It's hard to let go of that horse in life who has been your partner, brings tears to my eyes

just remembering. But time will help your heart

But for a great home nearby with someone to love her as you do

it helps alot.

It takes time for your heart to mend as she had been "that horse"

Glad she is so close you can still see her and visit her

Sorry your hurting ((((HUGS))))

Lori

Glad these people came through for you, I assume these were the folks that you'd posted about before?

Yes, same family I mentioned in my post before.

Thanks everyone. Shes not even gone yet and I already miss her and cry over he

Latest posts

Back