A Disturbing Trend

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaykay

Reaction score
I have been watching this for a couple years. It started slowly. Now it is becoming more common. It needs to be stopped now before it becomes a trend.

Gingering and peppering miniature horses. Its wrong. Dont do it. No ribbon or getting a good picture or video is worth it.

Until the last few years I had not seen it in miniatures (I have seen it in Shetlands and feel just as strongly) but now it seems to be the new "thing" in miniatures.

This issue is very hard to police at shows (as I have been told by the assoc) because unless someone sees it being placed in the horses rectum how do you prove it? Too many are afraid to protest. I have been told they can test manure and verify it, but that probably wont happen.

But if we all ban together and say no and refuse to follow; hopefully it will not become a trend.

Many of my minis/ponies naturally lift their tail when they move. But some don't. When it is natural it is a beautiful thing. A horse lifting its tail due to pain and burning is a horrible thing. Nothing pretty about it.

Just say NO

I agree.....this is a VERY disturbing trend, and I abhor it! But sadly, it is not new, even to the Miniature Breed. I saw this done many times, just to get photos, or before a class when I first started showing back in the early 90s. Of course, I never saw the "deed" actually done....but I can assure you, you can easily tell a horse who has been gingered. They don't lift their tail naturally....they hold it up & act irritated & won't put it down. Unfortunately, there are many people who have no morals or concern for the animal at all!
default_1857272.gif

Lots of inhumane things are done to show animals, some far worse than gingering
default_sad.png
But the logical side of me knows that not one person will read this thread and suddenly conclude that what they've been doing is wrong and stop
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard of this being done in Arabians and a few other breeds.

I went to my first Miniature Horse show this past weekend (to watch) and I didn't see any horses that look uncomfortable or had their tail up unnaturally.

I only watched the halter, showmanship, jumping, and part of the driving and I didn't see anything unnatural.

knows that not one person will read this thread and suddenly conclude that what they've been doing is wrong and stop
default_no.gif
But it may keep one new person from trying it and thinking this is how it is done and that it is acceptable.

I think its always good to bring things out in the open and discuss them verses turning the other way and acting like its not happening.

Dona I used to see it once in a blue moon but now it just seems to be done much more often.

Its also going from the Moderns to classic shetlands now. Sad.
default_no.gif

default_sad.png
But the logical side of me knows that not one person will read this thread and suddenly conclude that what they've been doing is wrong and stop
default_no.gif
We went to a show this past weekend and I saw a 3 month old colt ALONE in a stall with no mare. I was livid just knowing that he was the same exact age (10 days older) than my filly who is still dependent on her dam.

I ranted to my mom about him and she said that some people only care about the money and the ribbons.

I checked the rules and you're able to bring a mare alongside a foal. I know also that with the proper training that the foal will act respectfully in the ring. I should know. I showed my filly at TWO months with her dam outside the arena.

People who show need to think about their horses and the outcome BEFORE the thought of winning. I would NEVER put my horses at risk for anything if it came to showing. That's why I refused to show my filly this July for Reserve Grand Champion or Grand Champion. I wasn't about to stress my filly out for a trophy.

default_sad.png
Could somebody elaborate on some more inhumane showing practices out there in the Miniature/Shetland world? I don't know of too many, and I would like to make sure that I don't indulge in them myself unknowingly. Part of the reason is that I look up to a lot of Miniature Horse showers/breeders, and I wouldn't want to take any bad advice.

But it may keep one new person from trying it and thinking this is how it is done and that it is acceptable.
Of course it's fine to grab a soap box and do a "Public Service" style statement, Kay. I'm just saying that I'm smart enough to know that no one does this and doesn't realize it hurts the horse, or that anyone could contemplate doing it without suspecting it would hurt the horse. The issue isn't that people don't know better.

Could somebody elaborate on some more inhumane showing practices out there in the Miniature/Shetland world? I don't know of too many, and I would like to make sure that I don't indulge in them myself unknowingly. Part of the reason is that I look up to a lot of Miniature Horse showers/breeders, and I wouldn't want to take any bad advice.
I don't care to, because it's depressing but not as depressing as some of what is done to show Quarter Horses, Arabians, or to race horses. ETC. The inhumane things I know of are not the kind of thing you'd hear someone recommend and think the horse would like. Others might want to elaborate, or you can probably search Google. And don't forget about the other types of animals that people show. The inhumanities are far from exclusive to small equines and really just pale in comparison to some other "arenas".

Kay its disgusting as all morbid inhumane practices are. What people are willing to do to the animal just to win that ten cent ribbon and 5 minutes of fame should not shock me anymore but it surely gets me very angry. I know right now there have got to be plenty of people with holding proper grass/ hay or feed and working their horses to death in this heat just to make them look "perfect". Doesn't seem to matter that its 100+ degrees out there. Work them in sweats till they drop and beat the heck out of them to get up and do it again. Jerk them around with a chain, kick them in the gut and show them who's the boss and force them into doing something they don't understand. And oh boy, you have to have proof. And then, no one wants to tattle because then suddenly you turn out to be the bad guy and get shunned for it.

All you good showers out there should ban together against all this and all cruelty. There is power in numbers. Stand up for what is right and good and get rid of the evils in this breed that you love so much.

In CMHR we try to be a point of light. Even when some critize we still take a stand and do what we can. Its better than doing nothing and not lifting a finger to try to make a difference. When enough of the showers ged fed up with the goings on around you, become a point of light too for your breed. That's when bad things will stop and change. It will not stop on its own ever. Make some noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qiBjtI4MLc

Cruelty can be found an many types of "sport" done with horses, I worked for years with dressage and show jumpers and I even got fired at the Mediterranean Championships in 96 bc I refused to blister one of my horses front legs. As Jill says, the people that do these monstrous things know very well what they are doing and it is unlikely they will stop.

Saying that I am with you Kay and If jumping on a soap box will stop even one then I am up and ready.
1857272.gif

I have to agree that this is a disgusting thing to do to a horse! I also believe it is a good thing to bring up for awareness for all of us. I had not realized that there were people starting to do this in the miniatures, I dont think it has been happening at our local shows but havent really been watching for it either. I dont see how there is even a need for that since the majority of minis that I have or have met naturally love to flag their tails.

default_1857272.gif
never knew that, now i am just sick, how do people do the things they do to animals.. I sent a nasty letter to youtube for allowing video's of things that should not be done to animals.. if there was not a demand to be better then the last it would hinder the problem. Posting this will help, in a small way i am sure but it will help. It will open eyes that it is being done, and I cant say what should be done to those who do it, I know i would never want to come across it I would need bail money. Just freken sad we live in a world with people like that....

Thank you for your posts!

I also think with the increase in this; that the association is going to have to take a stronger stand on this and it starts with show stewards. Show stewards need to walking the facility and observing what is going on as horses are getting ready.

Im not sure what the rule book says happens if you do ginger? Not sure consequences are addressed as so many times in our rule book they are not. I would look it up but I have to get ready to leave. I will try to find it later.

I do know it was brought up at a show a few months ago as there was a mini that was OBVIOUSLY gingered and in pain. The protest was withdrawn for unknown reasons to me.

I think awareness is a great thing and so is peer pressure. I also think there could be people that have horses out with trainers and don't even know its being done to their horses. Always ask! (Not at all saying its only a trainers issue as I have seen it both ways.)

You're right Kay. It needs to be brought up in public and protested. Public awareness for those that don't know about it.

Disgusting nasty evil things do happen in every breed. Its all about winning and what people are willing to do for that win. Greed. Greed. Greed.

Where I live, the Tennesssee Walking Horses are sored. I've seen it happen right under my nose and since then its been another one of my "causes" that I fight for. There are inspectors and steep fines usually $2500. and suspensions issued every single weekend during show season. The fines are paid and they show under another name and wiggle out of it and do it again the next weekend. But you cannot give up. Someone has to be the voice for the animals.

We call this the FREAK SHOW

Thank goodness I have not seen it at any of the shows I attended this year, but I KNOW it's being used to take pictures and videos. I can tell because when people have 20+ horses photographed on the same day and have a videos done, they can't ALL naturally have the zip to put that tail so far up without a little help. No way.

I think it's horrible and if I ever see it done when i'm around I will have zero problem speaking my mind.

the next weekend. But you cannot give up. Someone has to be the voice for the animals.

We call this the FREAK SHOW
OMG! No wonder its called the freak show, there was nothing beautiful about that. I can't believe that they show in chains and freaky looking weighted shoes. If the association won't stop it, how is anyone else going to get it done.

Marty "soring" is exactly what they do to show jumpers but it is called "Blistering" Some very sick people even inject ammonia under the skin of the horses front legs and then whack them in the warm up area by getting the horse right under the fence so that when it jumps it hits the pole. Each jump after the horse will lift its poor legs as high as possible to avoid touching the fence. Can you imagine the pain that poor horse suffers?

We live in a sick world.

I know about the gingering, however I didn't know it was so prevalent in the minis... It's so sad. I personally know some very popular trainers who do unspeakable things to their horses, just so the clients are happy that their horse won. I don't think the minis need to be "babied", as that leads to pushy, disrespectful horses, but they are living, breathing things that should be shown some compassion. If my horse can take 2nds to an inhumanely-treated horse in Liberty, and he tried his best and it was totally natural, then thats fine with me. I would prefer to have a happy, healthy horse than some ribbon or trophy. And if my horse can't win naturally with their own talents, then I am happy with what they give me. The associations do need to deal with this, and we all do need to speak up.

I agree that I find nothing "beautiful" in the insane way those TWH's are lifting their legs. And the riders look even odder to this non-rider.

This newbie wishes she didn't know of such things but will certainly try to learn from this post when what I want to do is shut my eyes and look away because it is so awful.
no.gif

Latest posts

Back