A Couple Pieced Lap Quilt Tops

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley

Reaction score
Wow! Those are both beautiful but I am partial to that lovely green color. Do you quilt year-round or mostly in the winter?

Thank you.

I am still not decided on which one I like best. Will have to make my mind up once they are finished. I was hoping to give the blue one to my sister for her birthday in April. Still don't know who will get the green one. I think I will keep it tucked away awhile and it may turn out to be a nice Christmas present. It is funny how the colors change (kinda blend together as opposed to how strong some are alone) when you put the quilts together.

I sew year round...and love to quilt things. These were actually started in August, but then I had so many things that I needed to make for Christmas presents that I am now just getting back to them. And now I am making so many scraps that I am thinking of table runners or coloring book/crayon bags for the grandkids. One project just leads to another.

Think I might wait until Monday to start again on them. I will have to get out my quilting frame to hold the fabrics while I pin them and that takes up quite a bit of space.

Lois

I really like those! The colors are so crisp and clean. I like them both but I'm partial to the blue one
default_smile.png

Oh Charley those are so pretty! Very sweet and classic! I can picture those as heirlooms being passed down and loved! I'm partial to the blue
default_thumbup.gif

Love your quilts, glad to find another fellow quilter. I don't have a frame and pin my 'sandwich' on the floor, a real back breaker and space taker! Is your frame homemade?

Thank you for the compliments. I do love to sew and quilt and bead and crochet.

I use the Flynn Multi Frame to stretch the fabrics taut and then I pin it and take it off the frame. I haven't practiced enough to do free motion quilting but I am practicing now and them. Just not ready for prime time yet. They say it is a skill that comes with practice. Here is a video of it in use. (it has gone up in price since I purchased mine new about 6 years ago) I do see them used for sale occasionally in the Yahoo group SewItsForSale at reduced prices.

I have also laid the small quilts out on the floor and sandwiched them and it has worked well too. Just as I get older it is easier on my back and knees to used the frame on my kitchen table.

Lois

Got to work on my quilt again. It will be done soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
JoansQuiltSmaller.jpg
Finished the blue Ohio Star lap quilt this morning.

JoansQuiltSmaller.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Chanda. I will keep it a couple weeks so I can take photos and see it for a little while. Then it will be mailed to my sister for her birthday.

Does anyone else like to hang on to them...look at them for a little while....before letting them go? Or is it just me?

I am so happy that I made it like I did. No regrets on this one. It is exactly as I pictured it before the first cut. I made notes from the beginning, and went back to check and ~ it matches my diagrams and description.

Lois

Charley,I really love your blue quilt, the color between the blocks really sets them off, good job there. I can understand not wanting to let it go just yet, one becomes attached from all the time spent, but also because quilts are so personal aren't they. It feels good just to look at it for a while doesn't it.

What a lovely gift for your sister! She's lucky indeed and I bet she loves it! It's beautiful!
default_yes.gif

Depends on the quilt, some I've kept for awhile; and a few either I'm finishing so close to the deadline that I have to send them off, I don't get to enjoy them, or I'm so sick of them, I can't wait to get them out of here.

Thank you for the compliments madmax and REO and chandab.

I had to chuckle when reading chandab's comment as sometimes I do feel that way. Usually when I have lost my way on what I had envisioned the quilt to look like when finished, I just want the item finished and sent or stashed. Not all my ideas come out to my liking. And it is hard sometimes to work with material that i no longer like or am tired of.

I do like to mix things up a little and very seldom make two of the same unless it was my intention when I cut them out and worked on them together like with these two quilts. I do keep my notes on each project so I can make a similar one later if I want and that way I won't have to figure out the cutting again as it is all written down and easy for me to follow.

This year I have vowed to work on presents early so I won't be sending them as soon as they are finished, I want to complete them at least 2 weeks before I need to mail them. I know this probably won't work for Christmas presents but for all the other occasions of the year, it should be good.

Lois

That is really beautifully done!! Bright cheerful and it looks sooo warm!

You are not alone on wanting to hang on to your works of Art.
default_yes.gif
Nothing wrong in that.

Latest posts

Back