A couple pics from the boat

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
So here's a quick or not so quick description of how to catch Dungeness crabs on the West Coast (this is quite similar to other shellfisheries, I believe, like Lobsters and very similar, just smaller scale, to the crabbing like in Alaska on the Discovery channel, which my husband also does.

martinbenfishing06.jpg

Martin and Ben with a full pot at the rail (they do get fuller than this, but pretty rarely. This one maybe has about 30 crab in it). The big "wheel" thing is a block. Martin runs this (it is hydraulic) and the line goes through the wheel to pull it to the top. They generally use about 20 fathoms of line though it varies. Once the pot breaks the surface, they pull it in and there is a door in the top of the pot they dump out the crab, make sure there are no girls (all the girls are released) and no "shorties" which are too small to keep.

Then they dump them down that chute which leads to the hold, flooded with fresh ocean water so they all stay alive til they are delivered at the cannery.

seasickcrew06.jpg

Here are the guys, Martin is lower left, Ben is upper (the rail position, he dumps the pots, sorts the crab and then rebaits the pot before they dump it back over unless they stack it and move it to another area (Martin assists him unless he's working another pot through the block)) left, and Mikey is holding up a big crab.

Looks like Martin is helping to rebait (that square box near him is full of squid and razor clams) the pot.

The captain of the boat is a friend of ours named Chester. He's not in any of the pics, he took them all.

The pots weigh about 90 lb. apiece and this boat is running about 750 of them, strung in a line up and down the OR coast on the Southern end near Coos Bay/Gold Beach.

settingpots06.jpg

here they are on the back of the boat dropping the gear over or "setting" it. You can see a couple of buoys in the background in a line, they are marking each pot. Each buoy has a brand on it that is the registered number of the boat. It is illegal to run anyone else's gear (but it happens) or steal anyone else's pots or intentionally chop the buoy off (in essence making the pot "disappear"). This is sort of like the old west w/the cattle and rustling, etc.

Lots of times unscrupulous fishermen will run the pots and then dump them over, or cut the buoy off and steal the pot for themselves. These pots cost about $125 each w/out any gear (line, baiters and buoys).

The doors on the pots have a little cotton, woven part that will wear away and release should any of the pots be left abandoned on the ocean, the crab inside will eventually get released and not have to die inside the pot. Yet other unscrupulous fishers don't use the "cottons" and bypass this regulation or their "escape rings" are smaller than necessary so the little ones can't get out. These are huge fines, but some of these people just live with the fines as a business expense and the money they make breaking the law is far more than the fines ever amount to.
default_unsure.png
:

The boat that Martin is on is called the Seasick II (Seasick Second). It was part of a fleet of four boats, the Royal Quarry (this boat is famous if you've ever read Nights of Ice or Working on the Edge by Spike Walker), the Bold Contender, which sank this past November off of Newport. (overloaded w/pots)

and the Fierce Contender, which sank about ten years ago in the Bering Sea, killing five people (just disappeared, noone knows why or how). The Royal Quarry ran aground last Summer in the river.

Anyway, that's a bit of history on the boats. Now that I've bored you all, here is a pic of the Seasick w/the holds full of crab (about 45,000 lb. on board):

seasickfull06.jpg

The squares in the bottom are the tops of the holds where you can see the crabs piled up (they are actually in water most of the time, but likely the holds have been drained in anticipation of unloading since this was taken at the cannery). The bunch of buoys on the upper left is waiting to be added to pots. Their colors are dayglo pink and green (each buoy is a bit different in color and decoration to make them distinctive in the water). Mike is the name of the guy lying on the pile of crabs. I'm wondering if he got pinched?

My husband has not gotten pinched this year, but last year, he made up for his luck by getting pinched on the left "cheek" I laughed a long time about this one.

Now you know more about crabbing than you ever wanted to!

So if you can, buy a Dungeness crab and enjoy a real treat! Support the "family" business. ;)

Liz M.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am SUCH a Dungy addict LOL Will usually go to Waco ( 130 mile round trip) once a month for groceries, otherwise I just go to a local town. Waco has seafood depts LOL So last month I loaded up on 10 lbs of Dungys, which lasted me ohhhh all of about 6 days! Fixin to go again, can hear them calling me, all the time!! Course now your post is making it even WORSE they wont stop callin!!! Helpppppp!!!!! :new_shocked: :lol:

Hey, Pepi, keep eatin' the "bugs" as the guys affectionately call them.
default_smile.png

Support my mini horse addiction. *LOL*

my husband is Martin. Ben is actually the older brother of one of my oldest son's friends funny how that works in a small town.
default_smile.png

Glad you enjoyed them. Chester had made a few extra copies of the pics for the guys so I scanned them.

Yes, Dungeness crab are yummy esp. fresh from the cooker w/crab boil (or not!).

These ones he has been getting this year have been especially big and tasty!

Liz

I thought I should add that the price they are getting right now is $1.60 per lb. right off the boat.

The cannery takes them in big totes and fills them w/ocean water as they wait to either be shipped fresh to market or they cook them whole and then ship them or freeze them.

I see them even around here for $5.99 lb. so I know SOMEONE is getting rich, but it isn't the guys on the boats, who do most of the work and agonizing.

Liz

Does Mr. Happy ever go fishing???????? I mean he did make his first appearance on a fishing pole, at least from what I remember.....................

Rob, Mr. Happy would not be so happy fishing. I have heard that crabs looooooove meat.

default_sad.png

*LOL*

Oh jeez Martin was evil w/that thing he is such a child sometimes.
default_smile.png
Ain't that why we love him though.

Liz

Those are some neat pictures and good explainations. My brother actually worked on a crabbing boat last winter out of Crescent City, CA. I got to see the boat a little bit but not that much. I think I actually learned more about crabbing from watching The Deadliest Catch. LOL

Great pics Liz! Looks like a lot of hard work! Hope they have a good season.

My Brother was a creel fisherman for many years- Mackerel mostly, but the Russian Factory ships wiped them out. Can you imagine the shortsightedness of it?? The Russian ships did not have to abide by any rules, took all fish irrespective of size, no-one ever dared do a proper inspection on the ships, and they brought NO trade to the area. The fisherman that creel fished had done so for centuries and were ususally fifth/sixth generation on the same ship.#Madness!

I can't eat Crab, Lobster, Langoustines or anything else that takes up to a minute to die in boiling water- I think it is wrong that we do not afford to Crustaceans the kind of rules that we are attempting to afford to land animals- they feel the pain.

My Brother thought I was nuts- so feel free to ignore me
default_yes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Well, I think of crustaceans as overgrown cockroaches
default_rolleyes.gif
: Still, I will throw my Lobsters in the freezer for 10 or so minutes to 'numb' them and its rare around here to get anything other than the Lobsters live. I doubt that they feel much pain, if any as they arent as 'evolved' as vertabrates. But, doesnt bother me anyhow, I LOVE them :new_shocked:

:no: Sorry I don't like Dungies, being raised on an island where most of my family were fishermen We had Cheaspeak blue crabs So that is the only crab meat I eat. Steamed in beer and Old Bay seasoning. Nothing sweeter. Except maybe lobster.

I almost said, "Jane, don't look!" as I do know how you feel and I can understand it.

I do know what your brother must have been through as there is a certain amount of that same problem w/the Native Americans in this region. They have basically open access, can harvest any size, females, etc. and they will accept less per pound. And they do, which I find sad because it is not an endless resource and most of the men that do fish are very respectful and try to care for it by not overfishing and taking the babies the girls, etc.

These people that make the "rules" don't always have very good vision, that is a true statement.

Never had a blue crab...that's not the kind where you eat the shell is it? I can't stand shells and the internal parts so I don't know if I could deal.
default_smile.png

Liz

Thank you for the great education on the life of a fisherman or would it be crabman? I would guess it could get dangerous out on that water though. I would love to spend more time in that area....so beautiful! Mary

They are called fishermen, or crabbers. My husband goes for fish as well in the Spring/Summer/Autumn in Alaska. He targets Halibut and Black Cod up there (sometimes down here, too, on rare occasions).

The biggest Halibut they've caught was somewhere around 700 lb. :new_shocked:

Yes, it IS very dangerous. Almost every year, more than one person loses their life out there.

My nephew's number came up this season and he and his crew were lost on a rough and dangerous bar near Tillamook.

It helps to have a tough boat, which this one is (Seasick)

Liz

Those are awesome photos, Liz! I love seafood and honestly don't really think about all the hard work involved - I just go to my local Vons, find some nice looking crab and dump it in a pot of boiling water with crab boil! Sure makes me think twice, and appreciate it all the more!

Thanks for the education!
default_yes.gif
:

Liz R.

Really good pictures Liz! Is a hard job they do.

One of my Uncles and Cousins are still lobstermen in the Alantic ocean. They are going farther and farther out to get a good enough catch to feed the family.

They have had a lot of problems of people pulling up their pots and stealing the catch.

CW, Don't feel bad not liking Dungies.... I hate Lobster! Kid you not.. after growing up in the NE kitchens smelling steaming lobster all summer............. I can't stand it and most sea food any more.

Loved Grey'a sol but they were fished out a long time ago.

Back