It begins...crab boat down, 2 dead

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
this morning. The same bar that claimed the life of my nephew and his two crew nearly three years ago, Feb. 7, 2006.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2...sing_after.html

The F/V Network rolled over under a load of pots.

Today is the first day they could dump gear, and so the boats typically head out under massive loads of pots, thousands upon thousands of pounds stacked above deck, which is a very deadly proposition. The Tillamook Bar is probably the most deadly right now, second only to the Columbia River Bar, making our Dungeness fishery much more deadly than the "Deadliest Catch" which is the name of the Discovery Channel show that follows King Crab and Opilio Crab fisheries.

I am sorry for the families, and hope against hope that this is our only loss of the 2008-2009 season.

Liz M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Liz, what a sad day for the families of those lost. I can remember ( doesnt seem so long ago ) when you posted about your husbands new ( to him ) boat. I could tell by your post that you were happy for him but you were also scared. I will be sending prayers his way for a safe crabbing season. YOU TELL HIM I SAID TO CALL YOU EVERY couple of hours and let you know he's safe and sound!!!.

Oh Liz.....You must live with your heart in your throat..........
default_sad.png

he has been. They don't have good cell service where he is (he thinks off of Netarts right now), so I hear from him sometimes infrequently, but I know that when I DO get a call from someone other than him about his condition (such as on the morning my nephew's boat sank) that is usually when there is reason to worry...

He's on a very large, new boat (see the other post I just put up, there are pics of the Fierce Leader on that thread) and is in pretty good hands with the "veteran" Dennis Sturgell.

Still, it is a very dangerous time of year, but luckily most have gotten the bulk of their pots off the boats by now, and that is often when the losses occur (hauling/dumping pots for the reasons listed above).

L.

Liz,

How sad for the families. These people are just trying to make a living and it's so dangerous every step of the way. I've learned so much about crabbing since I started following your posts.

Praying your husband and his crew has a safe and profitable season.

Liz -

Our prayers are with Martin, you and the kids during every season. I always enjoy it when Martin and the kids come up to see me at the shows. Just once I'd like to see one with no problems. Prayers as well to the families of those lost.

Mark & Sharon

My thoughts and prayers go out to their friends and familes.
default_no.gif

I pray Martin and ALL stay safe.
default_pray.gif

Oh no, that is so sad. I watch that "Deadliest Catch" show on TV sometimes, and the life those men live to make a living it really something else! Takes someone special to want to have that job!! I hope and pray your husband stays safe out there!!

So sad. My prayers go out to their families.

It is such a dangerous job. I am surprised at how little accidents there are considering the dangers. However, even one accident is too much. I think it takes a very special person to do that job and those that do it would probably not be happy doing anything else.

I occ. get to watch Deadliest Catch..........it certainly is an extremely dangerous way to make a living. Prayers for the West Coast people.

Latest posts

Back