A new chapter in our life

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leia, that's funny...the boys both herded several big males off of the Michelle Ann (a different boat Martin worked on when Brandon was born and for several years afterward) when we went out for a quick trip a few weeks ago.

We had so many that it was not a "crime" and they loved watching the crabs flail down through the boat's wake for a lucky respite from a boiling pot (if only for a few weeks). I used to be the same way, enjoying the one that "got away."

Thank you, everyone, for the thoughts and I'll post an update when everything gets up and running. There are just a few short days until the gun goes off, so to speak. Most times the boats have been being prepped and the gear fixed up starting back in September. This is very short notice. The first few days and weeks are crucial to be out in the race, because the majority of the crab gets caught then and the holiday market is huge.

Liz (going today to take "before" pics of the boat)

Congrats Liz!
default_smile.png

Liz,

I bet this all exciting and a little scary at the same time........ May it all be a wonderful adventure.

MA

I remember very well when you lost your nephew and crew! We watch Deadliest catch all the time and know the boats you named very well.

I saw once in a documentary on deadliest Catch that the crews don't care for the title of the show because of the implications and I agree..media is sickening most of the time as they seek out sensationalism and yet I also saw what the camera men go through to get those shots and God help them too
default_smile.png

All I can say is we'll be watching and thinking of your husband and crew out there somewhere, not in the limelight but just doing his job every day with our prayers for his and his crews safety and thinking of those wonderful crabs I'll never get to taste
default_sad.png
Too far away..and they're my favorite..

keep us posted as you go along in this exciting journey.

Maxine

Last edited by a moderator:
I will do MInx and others. Yes, it is a dangerous job, but less so if you're careful and know what you're doing. Bad luck can happen anywhere, and as we know, it's also quite dangerous to drive home from work in rush-hour traffic from your 9-5 job.

Wish we could get you all some fresh crabs, and if there were a way, Martin would. That is one thing he loves to do is get people some good, fresh crab that know the difference between good and "old" seafood.

The main one being that fresh seafood does NOT smell fishy or shrimpy, or anything other than like the sea itself walking along the seashore. Once it starts to smell fishy, we generally do NOT eat it.

The hard part is that the huge processors buy the majority of it and in their greed, have it shipped overseas and packaged there, sell for less than the "fresh" market, but are able to sell at greater volume. Sorta the Wal-Mart way.

Hopefully we can pass along a "fairness" to the crew, too, and not keep taking more and more pay from them when their expenses keep getting higher and higher.

I took a few pics from the road, today. Colton was scared and didn't want to walk down the dock to see the boat (he is not a fan of small boats), so we had to stay inside the truck. Tuesday is the day they see if it runs. Tomorrow is getting permit/pot tag day.

Liz

Liz

I just spent 2 months in Craig AK it's on Prince of Wales Island. I can attest to the fact there is nothing like fresh just caught shrimp and crab off the boat! I had it so much up there I'm not sure I can look at another crab. The store bought shrimp and crab are rubbery and smelly compared to the really fresh off the boat.

Congratulations to Martin and your family for taking this big step!
default_aktion033.gif
Tell Martin to take care and be safe on his trips.

Gini

Too cool. I'm not into fishing, but do miss the ocean and living aboard. I'm looking forward to pictures. Congratulations!

Liz,

I'm very happy for you and your family!
default_aktion033.gif
I'm sure it's scary and exciting all at the same time. It's wonderful that now your husband can be the one making the decisions for himself and his crew. I have a feeling he's going to be very successful being his own "boss" on the boats!
default_yes.gif

BTW, I live in the midwest and have NEVER tasted fresh crab!!
default_no.gif
I've lived a sheltered life!
default_biggrin.png

Congrats
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

We are close enough that we may be tempted by some "bugs"
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

My youngest son proclaimed loudly in a grocer when he was around 5 ..."EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW I do not EAT BUG legs" well he has changed his tune over the years
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png
he now likes bug legs
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

We actually were just thinking we need a crab pot with the turkey carcass and all
default_wink.png
default_wink.png

Safe fishing wishes heading your way, the ocean is such a fickle lady
default_yes.gif

Congrats on the new boat. Here in Maine it is Lobsters that get all the attention. Sounds like a great way to get started with the boat and not be tied to it if things don't work out. Tell Martin to be smart and things will go well. Around here the greedy ones don't seem to last.

Good Luck and Best wishes!

Mark

Liz, congratulations and best wishes to your family on this monumentous undertaking! Your husband knows this business well, and is fair; this should be the BEST 'recipe' for success in this venture, and I wish it all to go very well for you and yours!!

My daughter who works at Los Alamos got me 'hooked' on 'Deadliest Catch"; we love all of the guys and their ships(some better than others, even!
default_wink.png
); and admire their hard work and 'grit'...not so many people have that kind of 'grit', especially nowadays! How cool to know that some of them are your friends and neighbors!

I live too far inland to get to have fresh crab-I do like crab, but imagine I've never actually had any that was truly fresh...the closest we get here is probably the 'Red Lobster' restaurant--and I live 30 miles from it, so don't get there often, either!!)

Again--the very BEST of best wishes on this exciting venture!

Margo

Congratulations Liz and Martin. Best wishes in your venture and blessings of protection for the boat and all those on her.

Congratulations and best wishes on a successful new life chapter! :D How exciting!
default_smile.png

Back