A color question on donkeys

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
I think I read some place that as far as color genetics go and donkeys, you can throw every thing you know right out the window. What I"m wondering is if I have a white blue eyed jack, what would or could I get with spotted and solid jennys. do I have to have a white jenny and a white jack to get a white baby?

Hi Marnie,

What I have been told is the grey gene is dominant, so you can get a grey no matter what you breed. Unless it is homozygous. I have a tri spotted jack that has thrown everything for his previous owner, my first babies are due late summer!! He has a spotted son that has thrown alot of chrome on all his babies, either spotted or solid. So I guess that is why it is like x-mas every foaling, you really never know for sure what you will get!!! :bgrin
default_wacko.png
:

Marnie,

If you have a BEW jack and breed him to spotted, they won't throw BEW unless they are BEW carriers. I will be breeding 2 spotted jenny's to my BEW jack this year, but they are not known ivory carriers so it is most likely I will have spotted, but the resulting foals will be ivory carriers.

I have two gray jenny's now that are ivory carriers and when I breed them to Blizzard my BEW jack so far I have gotten all BEW.......Now I also have an BEW/Ivory Jenny and the resulting foal from the two Ivories was a spotted Ivory foal....which shows that they also carry spotting. But they usually end up looking solid white after time until spring then they shed and you can faintly see the spotting.

BEW and Ivory are the same thing, just easier to abbreviate to BEW....

There is alot of talk right now about the genetics in donkeys and their coloring, and I know ADMS is researching alot of this....so there will be more iformation available in time.
default_yes.gif
:

Back