75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I can't get to all my emails, they are all jammed up and I am reading them.

If you need me call me

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, Deputy Grey? This person isnt related to the VET that went out there, is he? Perhaps that is why she said nothing?

Hi! I am in SW KS; if there is anything I can do let me know!

FYI-

Fox 4 has mentioned the plight of the horses on each of its broadcasts tonight. They air news at 5, 6, 9, & 10. The more times they mention it, the more people will become aware.

Like I said earlier, this is just the beginning of the investigation into Uniontown, the sheriff, and Trembly. I am sending an email to Linda Wagner THANKING her for doing the interviews with encouragement to continue to investigate.

If any of you see the Joplin ABC station's report, please post the link.

Thanks,

Faye

Here is some news.

I wrote to a person in KS (who has some good contacts) and I have been told that an attorney who works for the US Humane Society is working on trying to get the County Attorney to file charges. It is a difficult process, but they are working on it and this person says they will not give up.

In the meantime, as to what we can do, is to persistently keep after the County Attorney. Persistence, not pushiness, anger, crabbiness etc. is what will get results. It is so true that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. The goal should be to work *WITH* these people, not harrass or annoy them.

Remember, what we want to do is help the horses. That is the whole goal.
default_smile.png

Uh, Deputy Grey? This person isnt related to the VET that went out there, is he? Perhaps that is why she said nothing?
No, it was Deputy Case. At least that is what I wrote when I phoned this morning. Any confirmation? One other thing...when I phoned the County Attorney this morning, I about fell off my chair when they answered the phone "Sheriff's Office". Were they taking calls since the other county offices were closed today? I'll phone the County Attorney again tomorrow to see if it goes to her.

Persistence will prevail!!
default_torch.gif
: :xbud:

Amen, Dorrie & Frank (and Jacquee)! We certainly are a passionate group, though, aren't we?

TADA...this is what we are up against...small towns everyone is related, or married.......I am looking forward to tomorrow when two more news stations broadcast the story and all the govt people are in their offices and have a chance to hear the situation.

Vicki I am so glad you are here and came to help us! You know how I feel about you. ((( )))

You've got the patience of a Saint Vicki but we have been at this night and day for weeks and speaking personally I have no patience left. I want the horses release to CHMR every single one of them today and there has to be a way to do this. I want that little yellow horse that is laying down and cannot get up in my arms right now cause I'm going to get him up no matter what.

While all this red tape is going on the horses are going to die. They are dying now and that horse is in pain every minute of every day needing meds for his lost eye. The pain the pain I can't stand it. Mares are about to foal as you can see that bay mare looking right in the camera in the Fox4 news and winter is already about there in Kansas. She is going to foal OMG!

I am all for negotiations. I'm your hippie from the 60's remember and I'm all about peace and love. But remember, we tried that for the past two weeks negotiating with Trembly through the Sheriff's Department (who we thought) was acting as a liaison between CHMR and Trembly.

Where did peaceful and trusting negotiations get us? Lies, all lies.

The man is a hoader and eccentric plain and simple and he is not giving up his horses. I begged and pleaded for us through the Sheriff to allow us come in and remove the very worst. I said we will take the worst out of there, we will take anyone he will let us have. Throw us a bone for gods sakes I said but NO! He will not surrender not one. He told the Sheriff at one point they are worth $3,000 each and he loves them too much to give them up to us. So how does anyone negotiate with the likes of that?

Passion is good but focused passion is better. I know I'm not the only one having trouble sleeping, my God how I pray this all works out soon for the horses, for the goats even. I feed my horses and I see that white one even when I close my eyes, I wonder if she is still alive.... :no:

I too have been thinking about those two that were laying down and wondering if they are even still alive. All their poor little faces.............

I agree Marty, you can not negotiate with a person like that. So you don't negotiate. You very calmly and serenely go over their head and you start working with Law Enforcement. And then you just keep at it, very politely and persistently - sort of like when you get a little piece of cellophane stuck on your hand by static electricity, and you just can't get rid of it or shake it off no matter what you do - you become that piece of cellophane.

Becoming so agitated about it would give me ulcers and make me so sick I could not get out of bed - and what would be the good of that? I could not be politely emailing, writing and phoning someone, every 15 minutes for hours on end if necessary, if I were sick in bed.

It really does make me ill to think of those horses - but they have patiently waited there for someone to help them, and now someone is. I mean, if this has actually been going on for 6 to 8 years - !

Just the fact that they have finally gotten water will probably let them know help is on the way. And let us all hope it will not be long in arriving....

Hey!!!! I see the info on the Minis, the video from utube and the contacts in KS is now also on the Craigslist from Denver too!! I am also finding postings on other groups and forums out there.

This is from a poster on another horse forum I frequent:

"i just called the sherriffs office. just to be "one more person calling" anyway- the man i spoke w/ said it was not a abuse situation and there has been some progress. i laughed and told him that we must have some very different definitions of what abuse is. he said that a vet has been on the property and there is some improvements. he said that he was not aware of the mini's being surrendered, and that he wished whomever was putting info online about this would also get correct and current info on what progress is being done. i told him that i as a concerned citizen would continue to monitor info being provided. and infact if there was some changes being made, someone would deliver that info."

Jessi

Yeah Marty - you know I adore you too! I hear? see? what you are saying. I think we need a presence there to do a face to face because right now we are those online folks who don't know what is going on. They can dismiss us as hysterical and out of touch. We can take the pictures with us and ask to be able to check out the ones in the pictures for the sake of putting this all to rest. Then we have an in to take a different approach. I have not given up on some action being taken tomorrow but I think that is the deadline. We need to show our faces without accusations but with the concept of "correcting our info" and wanting to help. We also need a Kansas licensed rescue facility and veterinarian to back us up. Without those pieces in place we can pitch a fit as loud as we want we may not get anywhere - we might but so far it hasn't accomplished the full task - its been a great effort and has certainly stirred things up but it has allowed the locals to dig in their heels and flip us off. I am open to a full range of ideas for (legal) efforts. I am not licensed in Kansas and can't bail anyone out of jail up there! I have local co-coousnel available but there is limit to what I can ask them to do. Bailing out fifty or a hundred angry mini owners is a tall order to ask for! :eek:

Just a thought...instead of the same emails again I am trying a different approach...

I sent out the emails again, but this time I said that if this is how animals are looked upon by the authorities in Kansas, that it is not a place I would want to visit (no offence to the good people of Kansas, just trying to get them to think about their tourism $$$) and that I would do my best to discourage anyone I know from visiting there also.

Unfortunately money always seems to be what matters, so perhaps if everyone tells them this, they will think again.

Great to see Jaquee' back here my gosh it's been a long time good lady.

I could not be politely emailing, writing and phoning someone, every 15 minutes for hours on end if necessary,

Yes we been at this for so long now I tell you it takes it's toll but at least now everything is out in the open for the public and everyone sees the kind of insanity that we have been up against these past weeks.

it was not a abuse situation and there has been some progress. i laughed and told him that we must have some very different definitions of what abuse is. he said that a vet has been on the property and there is some improvements. he said that he was not aware of the mini's being surrendered, and that he wished whomever was putting info online about this would also get correct and current info on what progress is being done

Yes that is their story and they are sticking to it :xkngt:

default_bye-sad.gif
: I too, could not sleep well last night. After reading the very descriptive words of the CMHR reps visit to the farm...it just stayed with me all night long. When I did sleep all I could see was the white horse who couldn't bare to get up. Horrible to have that on your mind...and feel like these people supposedly carrying for them, just can't even see it.

I have been in contact with the Humane Society and they emailed this morning for an update, cause they have been swamped with calls. So I copied and pasted Ginny, Jess, and Marty's post for their update.

She knows they can't do anything, so she made several calls to higher people she knows who can push more. :bgrin

Hope all turns out well very soon! It is wrong to make them lay there suffering and dying and worrying about what might get them cause they can't get up.

:new_shocked: Dorrie & Frank has a point! The rescue out of Sedan, ks or the one by Wichita could show up with maybe a CMHR rep (who knows more info already), with a licensed non-sided vet for a one on one, preferrably with a news crew there to document and film. Would do more justice, as the more they spread that the internet is getting exaggerated and out of hand...the less likely any of this will have any more affect.

Come on guys lets stay positive. Something will be done thru the grace of god lets not get angry lets take that anger and direct it to positive and usefullness. Dont get down about it get tactful. Keep looking up and asking for encouragement and it will all come out good. The news was a bit misleading to what is actually being done but we got people to realize that something is going on. The sherrifs cant put it off now and cant hide it now that it has been brought to the public eye. Lets just stay positive. Sugar goes farther than vinagar lets not give up.

The point is, some of the media is starting to pay attention and people are starting to take notice!! Let's keep it up!

This whole thing has made me embarrassed to even call KS my old home state. However, now I wish I DID still live there so I could be closer to help out.
Another Kansas horse person here, also embarrassed to know this is going on 'in our backyard'. I'm in central KS and about 3 hrs away, but learned about this online, not thru the news. We raise arabians instead of minis, but have room also to house some awaiting outcome... I am deeply troubled that the extent of this neglect is not being understood and taken seriously, especially by the authorities. KSU has a very knowledgeable equine vet dept and I just hope they can see the situation for what it is and trigger appropriate action. Very glad the tv and papers are showing interest in reporting, the Wichita affiliates have done very well in the past shedding accurate light in such cases, hoping now that Joplin and KC crews will do it justice. The flooding of faxes and phone calls can do nothing but help as well. Here is a copy of an email I sent to be one more voice, in case anyone else wants to use/revise it to jump on board:

-------------------

"I am extremely concerned about the miniature horses and goats who appear to be wasting away without access to food and water at Trembly Tiny Trails farm on Limestone Road in Bourbon County. Photos allegedly taken on the property are shocking and show severely underweight horses, some down and a dead horse skull.

"I also raise horses here in Kansas and know that in herd situations the bolder stronger ones will continually dominate the food, intimidating the smaller timid ones who will stand aside and not approach the food even though they are starving and need it the most. Thus a few will seem in good condition while others are bony. This is normal herd dynamics and a sign that NOT ENOUGH FEED is being fed for ALL to have access. This is not a case of only some having worms, they typically all have the same worms from the same herd environment. This is a case of insufficient feed... he may well be feeding every day, but only enough piles that the dominant ones control it, denying the weaker ones... strong stay strong, weak get weaker then die. It happens frequently in herds unless dealt with correctly. Also if these horses are indeed eating their own manure, that indicates lack of feed, not worms. Your vet can confirm these behaviors also. This is what must change-- ENOUGH food in ENOUGH piles that they ALL have access daily, this can be difficult in a very large herd. I raise horses, also worked for a local vet who has consulted on local cases like this where horses were impounded. They need separated/moved so they dont have to compete for their feed. It must happen immediately, the down horses are in dire shape.

"Bourbon County officials must take action to secure these animals' welfare. Please take these animals into protective custody. To avoid accruing a high bill for the care of the animals, the county can perform an onsite impoundment, in which animals remain on the property but are fed, watered, and monitored by county-appointed caretakers. I also urge your offices to launch an investigation into this matter and to file appropriate charges of cruelty to animals against anyone found to be responsible for these animals' apparent neglect.

"I live in Kansas, yet I learned of this plight online. Many knowledgeable horse owners/breeders share tips and news on these web communities, many are equine experts, not computer groupies looking for a cause. They see the problem in this herd as I have described above; it is disturbing to many who manage livestock that an owner is allowed to get away with such neglect by offering excuses and half-hearted tries, and for years no less according to neighbors. This situation is now getting nationwide attention, TV, newspapers, and it will only increase until this neglect is dealt with. It is a shame for Kansas to be shown in this light, and our state's equine industry, as we have such topnotch experts. Please take appropriate action without delay. There are so many nationwide and many of us nearby watching and waiting to help."

Karen Linn

Sunfire Arabians

Hutchinson KS

-------------------------------

:aktion033: Everyone keep up the attention and the flooding of requests for action to all contacts mentioned: news, Gov Sebelius, KSU equine dept, County officials etc. Power to the squeaky wheel!

http://www.myvetonline.com/website/animalc...enter/#services

The initial vet on scene. That stated to CMHR their dire concern, but then told news reporter with less enthusiasm: "I can say that I think there are some concerns there." :eek:

Think is the key word here. She wasn't being serious enough to even bring it to attention. I went to her site and it looks as though they are more of a small animal vet practice orientated. They offer a few equine services, but mainly small pets.

:saludando: Our vet office has 3 separate vets that care in ALL animals and if one has less expertise they ask one of the other ones. Another vet office we have used too, also has 3 vets, who do just particular categories...1 is large livestock/2 is household pets/3 exotic animals.

I don't feel the above vet office was qualified to do the check on the minis, per their slacking attitude toward the obvious situation that all of us that didn't even need to go to see it.

May be bringing up stuff others have already thought of...but we aren't through yet!!! Till something of the right sort is done for the helpless animals on that farm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back