75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so sad to hear that the official opinion is that these horses are not in imminent danger. Those horses in the photos clearly were.

I hope that corrective action of some sort is expected immediately and that there will be consistent follow-up.

If not, for those horses sake, I think it would definitely be time to alert the media. Perhaps some here already have?

This is a 2-way pull.

The donations/money/feed/wormer:

#1 Should it be given to him to help? (No one of us is going to be there to see that it is used properly)~ What makes us think that he doesn't get them the care they need now and then come winter, the same situation...except then there won't be good weather to transport, care for the horses will be much more severe with the colder climate.

#2 Should it be saved back and wait till the time needed to use it to re-cooperate these horses in the hands of Victor and/or the foster homes?

I think we all should post a few constructive opinions in this matter.

Giving the benefit of the doubt~That Vern can get them all healthy again and will keep them that way is not being ruled out. Although, IF he needs the assistance of money/feed/wormer from donators, then how is he going to care for them on his own.

{But I do agree with HGFarm and Reijel's Mom. Unless they mean that their is no imminent danger there for the horses for injury purposes, but obvious health danger is the problem they should be paying attention to}

HGFarm Posted Today, 03:00 PM If they need farrier care, vet care and feed, and are as thin as we see them there, I am not sure how they cannot be in imminent danger- of what- not dying within the next 24 hours?? And if they are fostered or the donations of feed go there, the horses are left in that facility under that person's care?? Sorry I am so skeptical, but if the owner doesnt think to do anything now, he wont in the future either.

Reijel's Mom Posted Today, 04:00 PM I am so sad to hear that the official opinion is that these horses are not in imminent danger. Those horses in the photos clearly were.

I hope that corrective action of some sort is expected immediately and that there will be consistent follow-up.

If not, for those horses sake, I think it would definitely be time to alert the media. Perhaps some here already have?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just one of the things we don't know is if Vern has the money or not to feed and care for these horses. If he does, donations may not be needed. If he doesn't have the money to feed and properly take care of them then someone will have to see that these horses are moved out and taken care of. I have no idea what they mean by "not in imminent" danger. Does that mean that a bomb isn't going to be dropped on them, does it mean they are well enough to survive a few more days, does it mean they are in fine condition as they are .......Sounds to me like somebody isn't concerned enough to do much.
default_unsure.png
: Mary

Just one of the things we don't know is if Vern has the money or not to feed and care for these horses. If he does, donations may not be needed. If he doesn't have the money to feed and properly take care of them then someone will have to see that these horses are moved out and taken care of. I have no idea what they mean by "not in imminent" danger. Does that mean that a bomb isn't going to be dropped on them, does it mean they are well enough to survive a few more days, does it mean they are in fine condition as they are .......Sounds to me like somebody isn't concerned enough to do much.
default_unsure.png
: Mary
We will know more once we get a vet report. I think we may need to get the report directly from the vet!

Premature thought:

If it seems the vet himself thinks they are in no imminent danger, then we may need to send in another vet for a second opinion!

Anyone ever watch Animal Planet / Animal Cops? IMO, sounds to me like they HAVE to give him a chance (legally) to make things right and they can't seize the animals just because they're thin and need farrier care (i.e. they're not dying TODAY). :no: They probably gave him a time frame to make improvements and the Sheriff and/or vet will have to return to see if improvements are being made. Hopefully, Vern can get help with the care of these animals. If things don't improve, they'll probably start removing them to foster homes, or at least we HOPE they will.

THANKS to those who are on the "front lines" trying to do everything they can to help these animals! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

I'm thinking maybe its a good thing that the sheriff and the vet do go out, the man might need help and this way someone is going out to check on him and the horses.

Anyone ever watch Animal Planet / Animal Cops? IMO, sounds to me like they HAVE to give him a chance (legally) to make things right and they can't seize the animals just because they're thin and need farrier care (i.e. they're not dying TODAY). :no: They probably gave him a time frame to make improvements and the Sheriff and/or vet will have to return to see if improvements are being made. Hopefully, Vern can get help with the care of these animals. If things don't improve, they'll probably start removing them to foster homes, or at least we HOPE they will.

THANKS to those who are on the "front lines" trying to do everything they can to help these animals! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:
We love watching those rescues and Animal Cops Houston/ASPCA...

They do normally give them a chance to make it right. But I have seen some cases where they show up and the animals are in the same conditions as the ones that are in the pictures and they will automatically seize them per his inability to seek vet care. Then the follow up will continue on the rest.

IMO~Donations are great when someone is just in a slum of things...although what if (pure speculation) he can't continue without donations, who is going to keep funding him to keep all of them. I don't think he gets to enjoy them individually cause it is a lot of horses at one place. I have 3 large horses and 3 minis and to give them adequate attention is very time consuming. I think he still needs to downsize regardless. Just for the better of the horses.

I am sorry that I said what the Sheriff said "Not in imminent danger" this means that they will not die from this condition in a few days. as for the donations of feed and medical supplies it is my suggestion that we hold on to them for a little longer I should get the vet report tomorrow. As soon as I have that then I will know what we can do with them. As for now lets start a list of supplies that can and will be donated send this to Shannon Todd the sec of CMHR. Then when we can know where they will be placed we can get them to that location. If these supplies are sent to Uniontown and are needed somewhere else then we have to reship them to the new locations.

The horses have been given some hay and fresh water as of today. The sheriff has promised me as soon as he knows what the vet has determined as their problems he will call me, and I will post what he and the vet says. I know my patients are getting thin from all the waiting and not knowing, so I am also sure yours are too. Thanks for help

Jess

IMO, sounds to me like they HAVE to give him a chance (legally) to make things right and they can't seize the animals just because they're thin and need farrier care (i.e. they're not dying TODAY). They probably gave him a time frame to make improvements and the Sheriff and/or vet will have to return to see if improvements are being made.
This is usually the procedure - you must give the owner a chance to make things right - usually within a prescribed time frame. And under veterinary supervison.

If after that time frame has expired, no measures have been taken or there has not been enough improvement - then the animals are often seized.

Imminent danger would likely mean "downers" - horses unable to get up.

The horses have had hay and fresh water - it sounds like the wheels are finally turning!! :aktion033:

Can't anyone get the news out there? To get public opinion involved might put that stupid sheriff on the right track. All you need is one News camera out there. I know if it were here, one news station has a community correspondent where we can give our pictures and video and they will run the news story. I wish you had something like that there. Or maybe if someone took some video and took it to the news they might do something. I would like to be able to foster a couple of those mares but, I don't think they could make the trip out here to Nevada. I think they would die en-route. If that would be the case why would they say they were not in eminent danger?

Does anyone know if these vet or vets have the tools and training to do complete equine dentistry? I still think that is a major part of the problem, and just know that many vets have very little training and do not even have all the tools necessary.

Thanks,

Susan O.

Does anyone know if these vet or vets have the tools and training to do complete equine dentistry? I still think that is a major part of the problem, and just know that many vets have very little training and do not even have all the tools necessary.
Thanks,

Susan O.

I know in my area they don't have the proper tools to do minis, I found a equine dentist that will travel to vet offices and work on minis, he has all the mini tools needed......If anyone needs his info let me know. I also have a card for another equine dentist that travels too. I recently had a mare worked on, it took me a couple months to get him located and get scheduled in to have him meet me at my vets office.

*********************UPDATE**********************UPDATE**************************

First of all I'd like you all to know that CMHR has been on this from the Git-go. Jess Freer was the original contact and has been in constant touch with the Sherriff and is the man running the show. Jess is the Vice President of CMHR.

He has told you basically what he knows. I will summerize.

The Sherriff and the Vet were out there yesterday. In the Vets opinion, the minis are not in danger as of right now but, will be very soon if nothing is done. We have to wait (and I know how hard that is) for his official report which will be in sometime tomorrow. Depending on what it says will determine the outcome for the minis. Hopefully, it will say we can take them all. It may not. According to the laws of the state, he has appx 50 or so minis too many for the land he has. Those can probably be siezed. What the Sheriff would like to do is have Mr Trembly SURRENDER those minis to CMHR. Hopefully he will surrender ALL the minis to us. If he doesn't surrender them, it will be a seizer for all the minis and that, as you all know, may take a very long time. We don't want that to happen so we have to bide our time and be patient. Now I know every minute it takes is one more minute that the minis are suffering. BUT WE HAVE TO ABIDE BY WHAT THE SHERIFF SAYS AND DOES.

As soon as we get the word that we can take some or all of the minis, it will be anounced here and all the people in Kansas that have volunteered farrier services, transport and homes will be contacted. None of the minis will be able to leave the state. The Vet has already said that he will NOT sign health papers to let them go to another state. So All you Kansas people be prepared. If and when we get the OK o go in, we will

need every able bodied person to come help. These minis and they have been numbered anywhere from 80 to 150 will be wild. None of them have probably been handled for at least a year. There are 80 acres when they can run and hide. And they will. My thoughts are setting up round pen panels and baiting with feed. So we will need lots of panels, feed, halters, leads and what ever else people want to bring.

Jess is in control of this and has been doing a wonderful job. Both he and I will be going to Kansas to coordindate efforts. Details cannot be finalized until we get the Vet Report and the OK from the Sheriff. So people, PLEASE, bear with us and be PATIENT. I know you all have lots and lots of questions but as of right now all we have is a general plan in place and are doing the very best we can.

We will need MONEY and LOTS of it. This is the time to send in the Thanksgiving donations, the Christmas donations the Help the Minis donations..the donations in memory of lost loved ones...you get the idea... this is going to take a lot of work and a lot of funding. Please help us!

Also, please keep the questions to a bare minimum as I have have told you all we know. As this rescue progresses, we will fill in the details and keep you all up to date.

The Kansas Volunteers will be contacted just as soon as we know when and IF we can go in.

Thank you all for your patience and I hope this has answered your questions. I cannot at this time comment on Mr Trembly, so please don't ask.

Ginny St Pierre, President, CMHR

THANKS SOOOOO MUCH Ginny for the details. I so wish I was much closer so I could go down and help too. Sending prayers that all horses will survive, and will be well taken care of in the future!
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

Thanks Ginny this is what we all needed to hear. Help is on the way and that is what counts. Let's keep in mind that many of the horses are supposidly in foal and we need Jess there on the scene to be sure no body is going to founder anyone etc.

I have some experience in this. Ginny when we had a huge situation with Hurricane Andrew horses, over 500 displaced....... the state allowed us to open up the stables at the fairgrounds and use it.

We were able to designate trauma areas where the vet and farrier set up, then divide the rest of the facility into areas of mares with foals, pregnant mares, stallions etc. And then a mock office was set up to get the horses identified etc.

We are going to need BODIES.......bodies of people willing to help feed and daily care etc. These horses are so large in numbers, perhaps Jess can look into getting help from the local FFA kids in high school to help with that part. Worked in our situation and the kids got school credit for helping etc. There are many ways to do this successfully and orderly. Be careful of the media at this point, it can cause a frenzy.

I can be on this end recording descriptions etc. and keeping records whatever.

Maybe I can make some phone calls to round up hay bails, etc. Let me know via phone. At your service.

Perhaps there is a facility in Kansas that would be willing to open the doors to this situation as well.

Ginny & Jess, thank you. Marty, I like your ideas about housing and day to day help.

We are presently packing to leave for World but I will be watching this as closely as possible untill we leave. Since the horses can't go out of state I will be making a money donation. If CMHR is given custody of some or all of the horses....is it permitted to solicit donations at World? Will CMHR have a booth at World?

Charlotte

Perhaps there is a facility in Kansas that would be willing to open the doors to this situation as well.
We could possible contact the director of the State Fair in Hutchinson. They have stalls and buildings and as long as it was all kept orderly I think they would be willing to help. If they aren't using them. By the time we know what our boundaries are, they should be done with the Fair.

Let me know and I can do some calls and emails to speak with them and get that option open.

I agree the media does not need to get involved now. There is progress happening...and the media is just going to cluster things and make it a mess to work there.

Ginny & Jess, thank you. Marty, I like your ideas about housing and day to day help.

We are presently packing to leave for World but I will be watching this as closely as possible untill we leave. Since the horses can't go out of state I will be making a money donation. If CMHR is given custody of some or all of the horses....is it permitted to solicit donations at World? Will CMHR have a booth at World?

Charlotte

Charlotte

CMHR will not have our regular booth at Worlds this year. We were unable to do either Nationals or Worlds.

We will be there next year at both. Please if you wish to donate use CMHR's paypal and or send donations

to

CMHR

16340 N Coronado View Rd

Tucson, AZ 85739.

Thank you all for your help and understanding with these horses.

Gini

Thanks for the update Ginny. And Jess, keep up the good work. Yes, the media needs to wait until this is decided by the legal system, vet, and sheriff as to what happens. IF these horses are turned over to CMHR, then that is the time to get the media VERY involved. Once the horses are in CMHR's care, then use the media to get word out that supplies, donations of skills, and foster homes are desperately needed. While money will be helpful and necessary I would proceed with caution here. I would get a bank on board if this turns into a a case where CMHR has custody of these minis so that a trust fund can be set up for the care of these animals and that all funds go directly to these horses. While working on getting the 501c3 status, I remember that CMHR will need to be very careful on how much money they take in as it could possibly effect their 501c3 status, so setting up a trust fund may help in that area. (I am not an accountant, so please check with one just in case!) Just my thoughts and I know that the BOD od CMHR can handle this!!!!

And please keep us posted. This sounds like a very serious BIG case that will test everything CMHR has to give.

Oh, one other thing... If the vet won't issue any health certificates, that speaks VOLUMES.........

Thanks very much for taking the time to give the update, Gini - I'm sure you guys are just swamped with this! But the update really helped, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back