75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Nila and all who are keeping this post going, with the eye being on the horses health. This is not about what Vern could have done but what is being done to help these horses now. I know personally how easy it is to get overwhelmed at times. Please understand I am in no way justifying how these horses got into this condition but my focus is on helping these horses.

From some of the pictures I have Farrier help will sure be appreciated. Not all of their hooves are bad but just some are.

My problem right now is the sheriff that is just sooooo sloooow!!! From what I understand other people have

tried to get help but it was just sluffed off. With our numbers just maybe it will do some good this time.

[SIZE=12pt]Thank you all for helping![/SIZE]

Please understand I am in no way justifying how these horses got into this condition but my focus is on helping these horses.
I truely believe that is the main concern of EVERYONE here.
default_yes.gif
:

My problem right now is the sheriff that is just sooooo sloooow!!! From what I understand other people have

tried to get help but it was just sluffed off. With our numbers just maybe it will do some good this time.
I thought they were physically on their way out there yesterday with the vet, according to one of the posts by someone?? Did that not happen then??

Mona Jess was told twice yesterday that the sheriff was waiting on the vet. The next thing Jess heard was the vet

and sheriff was on the way but Vern was not at the farm. They supposidly couldn't go on with out the owner actually there.

Jess, if you are on here can you confirm whether they made it out yesterday please and the sttus of these horses.

Other than the fact that people are ready to hang Vern without knowing all the facts, something else is bothering me right now. Yesterday someone posted an urgent message for members to get involved in trying to get help for those poor animals. I find it frustrating that after this many hours, so many rhumors and 17 pages of concerned posts no one is bothering to tell us what's happening. If they don't know....they could at least say so. Sorry.....but you got all of concerned and involved but aren't keeping us updated.
default_sad.png

If you can't take care of them don't have them!

I think this breeder who has the minis in the

pics has been in minis for over 40 years it is possible that he is too old and he can't take of them (He should have sold them JMO)

Thanks for the very much needed update Gini. Hopefully the vet and sherif will be able to get to the bottom of this today so that this forum has the answers needed as to how to help with the situation.

Mary,

I am sorry if I confused people in my first post. I think that is where all this started. Vern is probably in his 70's at my best guess so not terribly old but I know from our conversations over the years that he has had various health problems of one kind or another like most people do as they get older. I am pretty sure I remember that some were heart related and he took medicine for whatever it was. So I mentioned in my first post before I called him yesterday that I hoped he was not having any kind of health problems. That kind of got exxagerated and started people talking about that which is normal human nature to do.

But when I talked to him yesterday morning he sounded like he always has when he has called me and actually sounded good, and so no I do not think he is having any pressing health issues right now. To the ones who have suggested dementia, I am sure it is possible. I do not think that is the case, but I sure can't rule it out from this many miles away, and not talking to him on a regular basis. My own mom had dementia starting about 10 years ago, which got progressively worse until she died last year at 92. Like the others have said it is always a possibility. And it is true that he lives alone.

Just wanted to clear up any false ideas that I might have inadvertently started.

Susan O.

te name='Buckskin gal' date='Sep 19 2007, 11:43 AM' post='884068']

When was it discovered that Vern needs medical help and there was no one around to help him? ?Sorry to hear that was the problem with the horses being neglected so badly! Or is this an assumption that he needs medical help?

I sincerely hope that the horses are rescued and also that this older gentlemen gets some medical help also. How sad that there was no one close to him to help him as he got older. ]

Thank you Susan for clearing that up for folks. That is how I interpreted your messages and the situation all along, just as you outlined it above.
default_yes.gif
:

As of noon today I still have not recieved any updated information. The sheriff still has not told me anything today, he and the vet were on there way out to see them yesterday Sept. 18, at 1 pm. he told me when a determination was made he would let me know what was needed. If I havent heard anything by 2 pm today CDT I will call him again. We all are waiting on him to do his job, As for the owner, and his condition I know nothing. Our only concern is getting these horses the help that they need. I want to thank each of you for your concern and help in getting this resolved. The offers of assistance are appreciated, but until we know what they need and where they will be, we can only wait on the authorities to decide and let us know.

I dont think anyone can be more flustrated about this lack of information than myself. I have called so many times when they hear my name they put me on hold.

So please be patient with me and as soon as I know more I will let everyone know.

You guys are great making all the calls and sending letters to get these guys the help that they need. Thank you so much for the help, With out each of you this would not have gotten this far at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhmm lost message somewhere in cyberspace...I will have to rewrite it.

I dont think anyone can be more flustrated about this lack of information than myself. I have called so many times when they hear my name they put me on hold.

So please be patient with me and as soon as I know more I will let everyone know.

You guys are great making all the calls and sending letters to get these guys the help that they need. Thank you so much for the help, With out each of you this would not have gotten this far at all.

Harold Coleman 620-223-1440

Thank YOU for what YOU are doing! I'm sure most of us have no idea what it must like to be on the "front lines" of something like this.

Thank YOU for what YOU are doing! I'm sure most of us have no idea what it must like to be on the "front lines" of something like this.
Let me add my thanks also. And thank you too for bringing us up to date.

I was thinking that if the horses have access to pasture and have been treated for worms, maybe the really skinny ones have been drinking water from all those buckets and barrels and have been exposed to chemicals.

If something like dementia is involved regarding Vern's health, it will not get any better and he would be unable to take care of these animals- period.

They are getting grain and what else to eat??? He apparently knew they were skinny in August when he said "someone stole" a truckload of the fat ones? What? Did he file a police report? Or did he just notice that the fat ones were not so fat any more and thought they were 'missing'?

Regardless of whether he has health issues or not, the health of the horses is the concern and needs to be attended to immediately- winter is coming and pasture will die out soon and there will be NOTHING for these guys to eat. There is already a problem if at least a dozen are this thin. There is NO EXCUSE for a horse to be left bleeding with maggots, and no health care given.

In regards to the junk all over- this is the farm household 'dump'. You can see that the trash and garbage has been stacked there, it is not something that floated in on a flood. It has been there some time as it is overgrown with grass and weeds and things growing up around all the trash and crap piled there.

These horses are beyond being a 'little on the thin side' and I find it hard to believe that he just couldnt figure it out, as many years as he has had horses, and he knows some are really skinny as he refers to other ones as being 'fatter'. Has he ever thought of calling a vet to see WHY they are emaciated and in this condition? Nothing more than a bit of grain and then left on their own to make it - or not?

These horses will not make it through a winter in this condition at all- and I surely hope that someone will do something!! Also, just because a horse is 'fat' does not mean that it is not full of worms, or has teeth that need floated, etc... so I dont imagine any of them have been taken care of properly. He apparently is not spending any more than the minimum to get by with the care of these animals. That is just WRONG.

Just got off the phone with the local Sheriff, the vet and him went out and inspected the horses. they are in poor shape but not in imminent danger. they need farrier care vet care and feed. The sheriff will call me back tomorrow and give me the vet report at that time. The owner has been contacted and hopefully he will cooperate with the authorities. All monies and donations of feed and etc are greatly appreciated. If we should need foster care in Kansas and you are willing please contact Shannon Todd give her your name and the number of horses you can handle. Any and all foster homes will be appreciated.

Thanks guys for all the help now and for what we may need in the future.

If they need farrier care, vet care and feed, and are as thin as we see them there, I am not sure how they cannot be in imminent danger- of what- not dying within the next 24 hours?? And if they are fostered or the donations of feed go there, the horses are left in that facility under that person's care?? Sorry I am so skeptical, but if the owner doesnt think to do anything now, he wont in the future either.

Thanks for the info. Susan. True, we can have more health problems as we get older and we have to know when to give up something even though we love it a lot....even younger people with health issues who own something they love very much but aren't capable of taking care of it has to have the good judgement of letting go. Right now, at our age, hubby and I would love to buy more acreage to have more minis but we first have to consider the ones we have and their welfare before biting a whole lot more off no matter how much we love em. We do have a daughter and son that will see that he minis we have will always be taken care of should something happen to us. I hope everyne saying it could happen to them stop to think that such a thing as having horses starve doesn't have to happen if you plan and prepare for the best interest of the horses. I would suggest that everyone who thinks they could have horses get into that kind of condition, prepare right now so it never happens. Name someone you trust to take on your job should you become disabled mentally or physically. Tell friends or family or both that should you ever get to the point of not taking care of you minis appropriately to step in and force you to do what is necessary ....giving them away to good homes if nothing else. I would never want my horses looking like those on the pictures. And I mean never, even if someone would have to lock me up and throw the key away!

I am sure many of us are speculating as to how those horses came to be in such a sorry state. something that juumped out at me from the pictures is that there are what appears to be Elm trees. I would think if a horse was hungry they would be eating the leaves off the those trees for nurishment...but on the other hand some of those horses look very depressed and without appetite to eat. My minis love to eat the leaves from our Elm trees that we have in the pasture. They will stretch their necks as far as they can to geta leaf and they are not doing this because they are underfed and without good green grass to eat. I wish those horses could eat those leaves because there is a lot of minerals in leaves.....but I wonder if they aren't too sick or far gone to want to eat. Hoping and praying for those little guys. Mary

Mary,

I am sorry if I confused people in my first post. I think that is where all this started. Vern is probably in his 70's at my best guess so not terribly old but I know from our conversations over the years that he has had various health problems of one kind or another like most people do as they get older. I am pretty sure I remember that some were heart related and he took medicine for whatever it was. So I mentioned in my first post before I called him yesterday that I hoped he was not having any kind of health problems. That kind of got exxagerated and started people talking about that which is normal human nature to do.

But when I talked to him yesterday morning he sounded like he always has when he has called me and actually sounded good, and so no I do not think he is having any pressing health issues right now. To the ones who have suggested dementia, I am sure it is possible. I do not think that is the case, but I sure can't rule it out from this many miles away, and not talking to him on a regular basis. My own mom had dementia starting about 10 years ago, which got progressively worse until she died last year at 92. Like the others have said it is always a possibility. And it is true that he lives alone.

Just wanted to clear up any false ideas that I might have inadvertently started.

Susan O.

Thank you for the update!!

So what happens now? Was the owner told to get the horses vet care, hoof care & feed? Was he given a timeline to provide these basic necessities? Are the horses getting some feed and hay today?

Thank you for the update!!

So what happens now? Was the owner told to get the horses vet care, hoof care & feed? Was he given a timeline to provide these basic necessities? Are the horses getting some feed and hay today?
Good Questions! The fact that the horses were not seized on the spot tells me that the answers to these questions may not be known until the vet report is written? I will be curious to see where this goes from here and am waiting to find out what to do next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back