75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The cars are worth some money--we need to know where to take them, where to haul the junk, etc.

there are charities that will take them as donations as well... and Mr. T. could get the tax deduction... can't think of them off the top of my head but i have seens ads, billboards, heard it on the radio...

The cars are worth some money--we need to know where to take them, where to haul the junk, etc.

there are charities that will take them as donations as well... and Mr. T. could get the tax deduction... can't think of them off the top of my head but i have seens ads, billboards, heard it on the radio...

I have seen on the billboards an organization called Junk for Jesus that will take cars working or not.

They will even pick up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have any idea when the KSU vet is supposed to be there?

This waiting reminds me of yesterday after Ginny said she would be making an announcement.

As I get older I find that I don't "wait" well.
default_wink.png
:

Hoarding...hmmmmmm

I think this guy needs to keep a few.

I have a 94 year old great-grandmother that has 3 dogs. Those dogs are what holds her together. IMO. I go over there and help her. She loves those dogs but sometimes can't do everything. After her husband died she took in 5 dogs, she couldn't take care of them all but she got them to health and gave them away ( helped when I could). That made her always feel good when she got a new dog.

I think this guy is like my GGM, He gets the support (emotial(sp) and phyical) from the horses he has. He needs to slim down the herd ( A LOT) yes, but I also think he could handle a few.

Sometimes with older "people" thats were they get their support is from their animals.

But thats My opinion,

Kara

As for the junk on his land that needs to be cleaned out...there are places that PAY for junked cars etc, and they will often go right to your property to get them to haul away. A lot of that metal can be sold and the money can go towards feed and meds/vet supplies for those horses.

Now, as for the situation...we have different people going out to the same herd, and "seeing" different things. I believe that each person has actually seen what they said, but yet I wonder how it can be so different. This makes me wonder...of a large herd of 100 horses, we have seen photos of many of the SKINNY (no, not just thin!) horses. There is OBVIOUSLY neglected horses. So then we wonder actually how many ARE in fact showing their skeleton through their hide?? How many horses are showing ribs, hips, spines, tailheads etc.? What are the actual numbers out of that herd? I am sure there are severeal more that may be less thin, maybe just showing some ribs, and maybe even a few that don;t look thin at all, but what are the numbers? Ginny said she saw only 4-6 that were not thin. Mary Kansas says what she saw, was not so bad. Mary, can you answer roughly about the numbers? Also, Mary, were you able to get photos of the main group of the herd that did not appear to be so thin?? We have seen the pics of the "worst" cases, how about seeing all those not so bad ones?? Surely in a herd of 100 horses there must be a large group where you can get large numbers into one photo to see the overall condition of a large portion of the herd in one photo?? This may help the rest of us that cannot be on the scene, to take in more of what is actually there??

And further, I want to express a few other thoughts and feelings I am having. Yes, the more I read and see of and about Mr. Trembly, the more I feel bad for him and his condition. BUT, no matter how sorry I feel for him, it just does not change the fact on the way I feel, in that no matter WHAT the problem is, there are a MINIMUM of 10-20 emaciated Miniature Horses in his "care", starving to death, and possibly more.(Vet report after today's visit will reveal further findings of the herd) But no matter I sorry I feel for him, I still can't help but feel that HE is responsible, directly or indirectly and HE is RESPNSIBLE for gettting those horses the CARE they require, and if he cannot provide that care, hand them over to people that can and will!!

I too just wonder how much of the sympathy people are feeling for Mr. Trembly at this point, is attributed to his age...sure, many are meeting him in person or seeing him on the news, as a "sweet old man". I am sure he is, BUT, if instead of that sweet old man, we saw in those pictures a middle aged rough/mean looking big fat fellow or a nasty looking woman, we would not be feeling so sorry for them. I think it is human nature to feel for our elders, as we have been raised to repect them. I know we are not supposed to judge people by appearance, but I truely feel things would not have calmed down so much if we were seeing pics of someone other than a sweet old man.

I'd sure like to see pics of the healthy part of the herd if anyone has them to share with us. Thank you.

THE TWO I HAVE TAKEN IN ARE GOING TO THE VET TODAY FOR BLOOD WORKUP AND SUCH SO WE SHALL SEE. THEY ARE GENTLE AND FRIENDLY LITTLE GUYS BUT WILL NEED LOTS OF GROCERIES IN THEM.

any reports on the horses that were removed? i've been mostly lurking and don't want to say anything about Mr. T or his care (or lack thereof) for the horses... the important thing now is that the ones that need help are getting it. kudos to those of you locally who are willing to pitch in and help Mr. T... and the rest of us who are too far away but can donate through the auction etc., and lend our prayers and good wishes. sure would like to hear from those who now have some of the horses in their custody, how they are and what the prognosis is...

Katiean: I am one of the ones that kept saying not to believe him for very good reasons.

I do believe the Sheriff now. Let me explain why. I believe it was Monday when I called his office and finally got to talk to him. We did discuss the care of these horses and he told me he had cattle and did know what they need.We discussed the worm issue.

Another lie. He told me there was nothing wrong with those horses other than a case of worms.

He did agree with me that this has been going on for most likely a year.

Another lie. He said to me the horses began to look bad only these past few weeks due to worms.

I implored of him "can't we atleast get the worst of the worst?" He told me that was in the works. I was told by someone on the forum NOT to belive him.

FACT: It was in the works because of US, not him..............That is because by that time you spoke to him on Monday, we had already called out to other authorities and agencies as we have been working on this case long before that.

Any kind of rescue work is emotionally charged - people are human and they get angry, sad, anxious, etc... I hardly blame anyone for doing that as I don't think there is a person on this board or anywhere in the world that can say they don't get upset and say things that they wouldn't normally say in every day situaitons.

You will never please everyone all the time - you can work day in and day out and have the greatest outcome, but others will find fault with how you handled it or not agree with things that happened along the way. Do what you honestly feel is right, stay true to what you're doing and why you're doing it and do the best job you possibly can. Even still, someone will disagree. As long as you feel that you did the best you could with what you had to work with, you're ok. Rescue is tough - there are no manuals or training courses that will tell you exactly how you should handle each situation as it arises. Many rescuers do what they do on shoe-string budgets, little resources and very little sleep - we make mistakes and that is ok. We're human.

I look at it this way.....Mr. T could speak for himself, he could go to the sink and get a glass of water if he was thristy, he could buy or cook himself a meal if he was hungry. He could call for help if he was ill or in pain. The innocent creatures in his care aren't afforded that luxury. They depended on him for every drop of water and every morsel of food - they depended on him to care for them responsibly if they were sick or injured. He didn't meet those requirements for those that could not stand up and ask for help themselves.

I can't honestly say that I feel all that terrible for him and I apologize in advance if that upsets anyone - I've been involved in many cases such as this one and I have yet to meet a single neglectful owner that hasn't tried to play the victim - old, young, sick, fully capable......they're all victims in their own eyes. They're always working on something - the animals are always sick and the excuses go on and on and on. I'm sorry, but the animals that have absolutely no voice are the victims here.

For the most part, owning horses is a luxury. Caring for them is a responsibility. If you want the luxury, you need to be responsible. They can not fend for themselves as we've seen in this case. I don't care if 90% of the herd looked impeccable - the sad fact is that there were horses on that property near death's doorstep - I've seen the pictures......pictures don't lie. If horses were so sick with cancer, etc...they should have been humanely put out of their misery instead of being left to slowly starve to death or die in pain while suffering in silence. Cancer is another excuse I hear often - as a matter of fact, we have a 27 Y/0 gelding here that was supposedly starving to death because of cancer. He was seized by the county and brought to us - he did not have cancer. He was 610 lbs. upon arrival, barely able to stand due to his emaciated state and is now 1010 lbs. He wasn't being fed...plain and simple. He had no dental care.....plain and simple. If anyone would like to see before and after pic's of this sweet boy, please feel free to go to our website at www.celticreinrescue.org and look on our 'sanctuary horses' page - his name is Limerick.

Call me jaded, but I've heard it all and I'm so unbelievably TIRED of the excuses and the victim stance. I do hope Mr. T gets the help he obviously needs, but those horses should never have had to suffer in silence because he needed help. I just can't feel sympathy for anything but those little starved animals.

CMHR - thank you for what you've done for these little horses, and thank you to everyone that pushed like they did to get something done. I'm not at all convinced that if calls, faxes, emails and news reporters weren't launched that anything would have been done before it was too late.

I wish I could hug each and every one of those little babies and make them understand that so many people in this world were fighting tooth and nail to end their suffering and that people cared. Considering the extent of the neglect that some show, don't believe they're all out of the woods yet. Severe emaciation can have long lasting and tragic effects on the equine body. Continue to pray for them, they need it.

Stephany

I can't honestly say that I feel all that terrible for him and I apologize in advance if that upsets anyone - I've been involved in many cases such as this one and I have yet to meet a single neglectful owner that hasn't tried to play the victim - old, young, sick, fully capable......they're all victims in their own eyes. They're always working on something - the animals are always sick and the excuses go on and on and on. I'm sorry, but the animals that have absolutely no voice are the victims here.
For the most part, owning horses is a luxury. Caring for them is a responsibility. If you want the luxury, you need to be responsible. They can not fend for themselves as we've seen in this case. I don't care if 90% of the herd looked impeccable - the sad fact is that there were horses on that property near death's doorstep - I've seen the pictures......pictures don't lie. If horses were so sick with cancer, etc...they should have been humanely put out of their misery instead of being left to slowly starve to death or die in pain while suffering in silence. Cancer is another excuse I hear often - as a matter of fact, we have a 27 Y/0 gelding here that was supposedly starving to death because of cancer. He was seized by the county and brought to us - he did not have cancer. He was 610 lbs. upon arrival, barely able to stand due to his emaciated state and is now 1010 lbs. He wasn't being fed...plain and simple. He had no dental care.....plain and simple. If anyone would like to see before and after pic's of this sweet boy, please feel free to go to our website at www.celticreinrescue.org and look on our 'sanctuary horses' page - his name is Limerick.

Call me jaded, but I've heard it all and I'm so unbelievably TIRED of the excuses and the victim stance. I do hope Mr. T gets the help he obviously needs, but those horses should never have had to suffer in silence because he needed help. I just can't feel sympathy for anything but those little starved animals.
Excellent post Stephany, I think that sums it up so well. :aktion033:

I don't understand how someone who has owned horses for as long as he has not realize there is a problem? He sould have been giving away horses long ago to avoid this. When he no longer was able to register them due to the fees, he should have quit breeding them. I can't believe they are only taking a small handful of horses from him. He should be left with 2 geldings and that is it. And what about the poor goats?

I have had up to 8 big horses and that was too many for me. I could not keep up with the grooming, riding, and general affection needed for so many. When the vet came out to do spring shots, the bill took us a few months to pay off. The ferrier seemed to have to come once a month and the cost of worming every 3 months was also a big deal. With only 8 horses, I realized I had too many. I think when he was up to, O' I don't know, 50 he might have realized he had a few too many. I do not feel sorry for this man in the least. :nono:

Now I am not too crazy wtih the subject at hand's choice in animal/property care, or lack thereof...

But no offense, shouldn't you leave 'diagnosis' to a trained professional, who comes to that conclusion, after an indepth clinical analysis? Alot of us already 'think' this but posting the defintion doesn't help.

We all know there appears to be a serious problem, but for gosh sake , please do not play amateur shrink...

hopefully before this is over he will get some help, now that the spot light is on Unontown. IMO
Sorry if I offended you. I was really just trying to help some folks understand what they MIGHT be dealing with here, in trying to help to get the place cleaned up and continuing to work on getting him to surrender animals, as well as concerns that the place just might fill up with junk again as well as more animals. It doesn't hurt to be educated and prepared.

Nope, I'm not a shrink, wasn't trying to play one. Just a concerned person who's been doing volunteer rescue work for years, and have dealt with a couple of hoarders. Also just a person who in my "real" job is a degreed social worker who does deal with mental health issues, "shrinks", etc, a good portion of my day.

Well guys i have been sitting back and watching the posts but just wanted to say that it has hit the news in wichita, ks and they said the vet would be there today. They aired it twice that i know of. Its starting to look good guys and i have some friends that are interestted into fostering so i am going to get them to fill out the fostering form and s end it in. Good job guys its amazing to see everyone pull together so strongly and work together and put heads together.

Amen! And I would like to hug you for saying it so well. To hear it from someone who has been there and seen things that are so totally wrong is truly what we need to hear more of because we are the caretakers of these wonderful gifts from God who for most of us feel very responsible for. Hugs and thank you. Mary

Any kind of rescue work is emotionally charged - people are human and they get angry, sad, anxious, etc... I hardly blame anyone for doing that as I don't think there is a person on this board or anywhere in the world that can say they don't get upset and say things that they wouldn't normally say in every day situaitons.

You will never please everyone all the time - you can work day in and day out and have the greatest outcome, but others will find fault with how you handled it or not agree with things that happened along the way. Do what you honestly feel is right, stay true to what you're doing and why you're doing it and do the best job you possibly can. Even still, someone will disagree. As long as you feel that you did the best you could with what you had to work with, you're ok. Rescue is tough - there are no manuals or training courses that will tell you exactly how you should handle each situation as it arises. Many rescuers do what they do on shoe-string budgets, little resources and very little sleep - we make mistakes and that is ok. We're human.

I look at it this way.....Mr. T could speak for himself, he could go to the sink and get a glass of water if he was thristy, he could buy or cook himself a meal if he was hungry. He could call for help if he was ill or in pain. The innocent creatures in his care aren't afforded that luxury. They depended on him for every drop of water and every morsel of food - they depended on him to care for them responsibly if they were sick or injured. He didn't meet those requirements for those that could not stand up and ask for help themselves.

CMHR - thank you for what you've done for these little horses, and thank you to everyone that pushed like they did to get something done. I'm not at all convinced that if calls, faxes, emails and news reporters weren't launched that anything would have been done before it was too late.

I wish I could hug each and every one of those little babies and make them understand that so many people in this world were fighting tooth and nail to end their suffering and that people cared. Considering the extent of the neglect that some show, don't believe they're all out of the woods yet. Severe emaciation can have long lasting and tragic effects on the equine body. Continue to pray for them, they need it.

Stephany

You all know what they say about belly-buttons? We all have 'em.

Same thing goes for opinions. We're all entitled to them.

But I, for one, sure wish they weren't on here for the world to see. We all know there have been hundreds of "guests" on the forum lately (right now there are 72). Wouldn't we rather be seen as a group of people united in a cause to right a wrong, rather than a bunch of people who can't stop trying to impose their opinion on others.

Please stop the bickering. It doesn't become anyone.

We fought a good fight!!. Let's be proud of it.

The vet is the one who will determine whether Vern keeps any of his horses. It's not our decision to make.

But I, for one, sure wish they weren't on here for the world to see. We all know there have been hundreds of "guests" on the forum lately (right now there are 72). Wouldn't we rather be seen as a group of people united in a cause to right a wrong, rather than a bunch of people who can't stop trying to impose their opinion on others.

The vet is the one who will determine whether Vern keeps any of his horses. It's not our decision to make.

They are right guys i agree.

Appylover, I could just hug you, lol. Thanks

AMEN, I was going to post one very similar, but you worded yours much better. Thank you.

And - MOVING ON :bgrin

Really looking forward to hearing any updates on the happenings today as well as how the precious little ones are doing in their foster homes!!!!!!!!

Flame away but I have to side with Marty here.

Go back and read the information every time someone spoke with the Sheriff or someone there, it was a different story. They wanted everyone to go away. Mr. T himself told someone over the phone that he was not going to get rid of any.

If the pond water is drinkable, WHY are they sucking up water from the buckets and have been caught with no water AFTER CMHR was told they were being taken care of? That 'pond water' is not drinkable and the goats locked in a pen have no access to any of it, drinkable or not.

There was no feed there and has not been until the media showed up and all this hoopla was going on for at least 3 weeks. Due to droughts and weather conditions, I know MANY livestock owners who have been selling them down to what the land can manage. I have seen people overgraze range or acreage before. Cram as much as you can on it, and when it's gone, well..... First some of the horses were moved, then they werent, etc...

Due to the conflicting information coming out of Uniontown since the beginning, I would only believe what I saw with my own eyes, without rose colored glasses. Sorry, but my X is really good at putting on the 'poor old me' act when he needs it- the rest of the time is impossible for anyone to deal with.

I also agree- if he was trying to take care of them all along- where is the farrier? Where is the feed? And I have heard reports from some that this is NOT a new situation with his horses- it has been longer than a year. ANYONE who has had horses knows they need routine care- shots, worming, feed, water, salt, hoof and dental care. Unless this guy has been living on Mars and never heard of any of that stuff, I just find this hard to believe. If you have been 'farming' for as long as he has, part of that includes taking care of the land- by not overgrazing, taking steps to make sure it doesnt get that way, or recognizing that it is overgrazed- rotating crops, leaving the land bare for a year...... If you have no natural feed, then you buy it, or you remove the livestock. It will take years for that land to come back like it was since it is nothing but weeds and dirt. I find it hard to believe that he doesnt recognize this.

Ginny was there before the media came in- and saw the empty water buckets, and the horses clammoring for water, no food and the condition of the horses. Keep in mind- fall is here and the horses probably have a little thicker hair coats that will hide a bit of bone. Granted, I am sure some are in better condition than others, but go back and view every single picture, the news clips, etc... and tell me that ANY of those horses are in 'good' condition?!

Are the receipts for feed actual cash register receipts or has someone had three weeks to talk the feed store guy into writing hand written receipts for this purpose? And again I ask, WHAT was he using for wormer that 'didnt work'?!

Please evaluate what you see carefully and dont take just a surface glance. There are people there and feed and water.

BLESS YOU to all of those that have gone there and helped and are continuing to offer help. Scrap metal pays some pretty fair cash- if he has a lot of old cars there, sell them for scrap (and any other metal stuff) and have him pocket the money!! The trash can be hauled away if there is no market for other stuff there.

Should Mr. Trembly live to see 90 or more, bless his heart, are the folks that are volunteering today, next month and next spring going to still be willing in a year, five years, etc...??? When you have other things to do, an issue with your own family, a change in employment, a child or other life changing things happen, will they still be there to find time to take care of all this - which truly is an ALL DAY job 7 days a week?

I wonder if he would mind considering even donating a half dozen of the better ones to the local FFA or 4H to work on as projects, keep log books on, etc.. and sell (like they do the other livestock) for money to put back into those programs to help run them? (Just a thought)

Folks announce the vet is coming because that is what everyone was told- by..... ?? Has anyone been able to confirm that with KSU themselves? I hope so.

I dont care if I'm 19 or 90, I know what bare land looks like and skinny horses- whether thin or emaciated and I know what to do about it.

Thank you Vickie, all the folks at CMHR, the other rescue- the folks there in KS that are jumping in to help and be eyes and ears and labor too!!! Everyone is awesome- everyone just wants the wee horses to have a good life- and Mr. T too!! Many things in life are not easy- watching your children grow up and move away, the death of a loved one, whether two or four legged, losing a job, having to move away from friends and family- life is not always pleasant. But common sense decisions have to be made, and a look at the WHOLE picture, not just what is happening this week.

Off my soap box and anxiously awaiting more news on the rescues and also from Uniontown. Keep up the good work all you guys out there and sure wish I was there to help!! :aktion033:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back