5 day worming

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StellaLenoir

Reaction score
Hi, we are on day 3 of the 5 day fenzoblablabla worming. My vet is having me give her 15ml of liquid pancur a day.

She started out with cow pies, which is one of the reasons we wanted to to the 5 day. Now, she has liquid running down her legs.(it is not constantly coming out) She is passing gas, with bubbles, and her manure is still cow pies, with lots of liquid. She is acting normal, and is hydrated.

My vet said some do this when they have a heavy worm load. and to keep it up for the whole 5 days. He had me take her off grain, and to feed her as much hay as she wants.

I have had her since late April, and she has been wormed with ivermectin and the panomate wormer. This is her first time with the 5 day that I know of. She is 2years old.

So what can I expect? Please, anyone, share your experiences. Should I see worms? Is the diarreah normal for the worming process? Any info would be appriciated.

Ps, sorry for messing up the names of the wormers. I dont have them in front of me, and I am a terrible speller. Thanks!!!!

I"m a firm believer in the 5 day purge.

I use it especially on the babies and youngins. I've seen it deflate the horse's poochy belly over night after the 5 day purge.

I have not had it as severe as you are saying but sounds like you are getting loads expelled out of your horse. I wouldn't be a tight-wad with the stuff either. I usually dial it up for more than the pounds I actually need. Since it's so bad, you might want to do some Probios afterwards too.

I think that if you have one that is so severely loaded with parasites, you should do the other horse as well. Safe Guard is safe stuff and I like it.

I asked about doing everybody, my vet said he thinks we should start with Silver. \

She may very well be wormy. I just dont know what she had as far as care before April. She has been wormed regularly since then with Ivermectin and panomate(SP?)

She is bloated looking and just a mess. Hopefully this will get her worm free and then I can maintain her with reg worming.

I have not seen anything in her poo.... will I ........or should I? Should the runns improve when she is done with the 5 day? She will be due for the Ivermectin soon, should I wait 10 days and do that as I have seen others do, like Rabbitfizz? Of corse I am in contact with my vet, but I like as much info as possible.

I do have probios and will give them at the end.

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes you wait ten days after the end of the five day course- but if she is still runny I would wait longer it will do no harm.

I would also put her on probiotics.

You may or may not see dead worms- if they have broken down you will not.

What you will see is huge difference in the horses gut!!

Hang in there, Fenbendazole is mild as mild and will not in itself harm the animal at all.

Part of what is currently happening with her having especially runny poo may be the sudden change of diet. I'm not sure how much you were giving her, but a sudden change of diet can mess with a horse's system.

Latest posts

Back