4-H

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am on our county's miniature horse committee and there are a few kids with miniature stallions, one is a 2 year old and the other is a 5 year old. I’m not sure if we should let them show.
default_unsure.png
Our horse committee is having a meeting and I’m going to discuss whether we should allow it (if the state would allow it in the first place.
default_rolleyes.gif
) I believe we could handle it, both exhibitors are 16 or over, there is only 5 other members in the mini classes, and the classes we have are: trail in hand, jumping, and showmanship (none qualifying). Showmanship is the only classes we offer were the exhibitors would be in an arena with others and could be spaced were I believe it would be safe, plus the warm-up area is big enough to hold 20+ big horses, think it could handle 7 minis
default_yes.gif
. Anybody allow mini stallions in 4-H?
default_unsure.png

Of course it is up to your committee, but if they aren't 17 you might be liable, I would check with your fair grounds or whoever to see if it is covered by insurance if something should happen.

I can't speak for 4 H, but in the miniature show world, we separate the stallions in youth showmanship, mares and geldings together, stallions by themselves.

I'm sure the 16 yr olds can handle their stallions, but things can still happen.

To my knowledge, the only class we mix youth, stallions, mares, & geldings in the ring at the same time would be driving classes where all the youth must be over 13.

our 4h club is working on trying to change the no stallion rule at 4h shows for at least the fun shows they have for miniatures but have not succeded yet. I think they are still trying this would be for adults not the under 18 group. for open shows

Last edited by a moderator:
Youth over the age of 13 may show a stallion in performance class's.

Personally I don't think it should be acceptable for a 4-H'er to show a stallion. JMO

I am in 4H, and am sixteen years old. Are the people with the stallions experience with minis? That could make a HUGE difference in my opinion. 2 years ago, (i think) i took a mature breeding stallion to his first show. Lets just say he wasnt well be haved at all. I was expecting this, since it was his first time. During the halter class, said stallion reared up, and attacked me, not the other stallions, me! I was shocked at this, but managed to get the stallion under control. This stallion would not be safe in a 4H class, but i have seen people showing stallions in showmanship, were the horses were crouded together. I was concerned about this because my mare was in heat, but luckily there was no problem at all.

So long story short, it depends on the horse, handler, how spread the horses will be, if there are mares in heat around, and a large number of other factors. Inorder to have all bases covered, i would say that performance classes would be fine, but mabye a seperate showmanship class? or perhaps they could borrow a mare or gelding from another member in a different division.

-Janice

yea as far as showing stallions, go in the show ring, you have to be 12 at least, in the 4h club, you have to be 12 and experianced! the eperianced part is just one of our rules, its also not the best thing for a first timer, alot of things can go wrong, stallions fighting when geting to close, or a stallion going crazy over a mare in heat, and trying to breed, i have seen it before, and it doesnt end good, so i would say at least 12 years.

No, all of my stallions are very easy going and very well mannered but still would not suggest it.

Here is my youngest (4) playing with Pheonix. He had bred one mare last year and knows he's a stud (really doesn't care though).

brookenice2.gif

I could toss just about anyone the lead and they wouldn't have a problem with him. However not all are like him, his daddy is mild mannered but likes to bluster and blow around other horses and if the person on the lead wouldn't put him in line (all it would take is a snap on the lead) things could get out of hand real fast.

In the county I was a 4H leader in, stallions could not be

handled by youth under 18....

There were no miniatures being shown at that time but

I believed they were following the, then AHSA guidelines

In Pinto you have to be 19 to handle a stallion......regardless of size! Some of us with our laid back stallions think it's a little extreme, but then I've also seen out of control stallions with adult handlers!

Just letting you know what we do up here in Alberta. Being a 4-H light Horse leader for 5 years and Minis for 3. We do not allow any 4-Her to show a stallion. Big or Small. There are many members who are not totally horse savy and it is just safer. One child could be totally able to handle any situtation but the one next to them could be their first time with a horse and not know how to handle it. I agree with the rule I think it much safer for everyone, horses and 4-Hers, but that is just my opinion.

I am a 4H Leader and have a Miniature Horse club of approx 20 members, more than half of the members are 11 and 12 years old. And the answer to your question is NO STALLIONS, of any age. It is an accident waiting to happen.!!

Many of the members will probably have mares, and if a mare is in heat, and a stallion is present, all H*** could break lose, and trust me, as a leader when you are in charge of a bunch of very excited kids at a show, the last thing you need is a stallion to worry about. A stallion is a stallion even if he is 30 inches tall.

Even if it is a Sr member handling the stallion, it could be an incident by stander that gets hurt. I had a girl get bit by her sweet little yearling filly last year, which was a total surprise to all of us. The bottom line is horses are horses, and anything could happen.

I know our 4H Assoc has a Livestock Policy that any 4H animal being shown whether cattle, llamas, etc. must be neutered. I promote geldings as the best 4H horse, always reliable.

Good Luck with your 4H Club.

Wendy

Leader from, Haldimand County 4H Miniature Horse Club

I believe the rule here is no stallions, and IMO that is a very good rule. A 16 year old may handle a stallion perfectly well, but there will be other kids around--younger and/or less experienced kids, and some of them may be showing mares. While the stallion might behave, if a nearby mare happens to be in heat she just might decide to give her handler a bad time. Other children may not know to give a stallion a bit of extra space, and if they let their horses come too close, there's a chance the stallion may be provoked into misbehaving.

as well, these are 16 year olds that want to show stallions this year. As soon as you allow them to show their stallions sure as anything there will be a 14 year old that wants to show one next year, or even a 12 year old. Parents will argue that you let one kid show a stallion, so why won't you let MY kid show a stallion?

Just easier & safer all around to stick to the rule of no stallions!

I think 4h members should be allowed to show stallions. There little and we can show them in AMHA/AMHR shows then why can't we show them in 4H shows and I also don't think a mini stallion would be big enought to breed a full size horse. We just filled out our 4h horses papers and it said wether the horse was a gelding or mare but Rain is a colt so i don't know if we are allowed to show in 4h shows in MA.

I'm a 4-H leader in the state of NH and we DO NOT allow stallions unless they are unless under the age of 2 to be shown, big or small.

The youth may be able to handle the stallion as he/she has been handling him right along but it's the other exhibits that won't know how to handle their horse if in a situtation with say a mare in heat.

My stallion is also very calm and my 6 year old granddaughter handles him on the lead as well as drives him but I won't put her in a situation with other exhibits and mares. Just not a safe thing to do.

I think you will find it hard to get your 4-H committee to approve and I would be shocked if they did.

In my county NO stallions are allowed to be shown in 4-H past their weanling year. There are plenty of potential problems at a show, and I personally don't want stallions in the mix at a 4-H show.

Indiana 4-H does not allow ANY youth or adult to have a stallion at any type of 4-H event. I've often had mixed feelings on stallions being allowed in 4-H. However, what I've noticed is that most families don't have enough horse knowledge to properly handle and train mares and geldings. Let alone have these same families brining in a stallion. Even thou our stallions, my daughter from the time she was 3 has ridded and handled stallions of all ages/sizes, are extremely well mannered and trained. It's the ones who are not that would be the concern. Plus, what about the kids on mares who get nasty or down right dangerous when in heat. Now lets expose her to a stallion being handled by a kid at a 4-H show. Liability, liability, liability....

It's not just about the kid that is showing the stallion, its about everyone else in the ring too. Am I the only one here that have ever seen a less experienced youth get nervous in the ring and start creeping up on the horse in front of them?

If you do show a stallion, you not only have to watch out for yourself, but always be watching out for everyone else around you too. If the youth isn't aware enough to do that, they shouldn't be showing a stallion. If the youth is aware enough to do it, it just adds a whole level of stress to the event that for the youth, for the parents of the other youth that know that lil Sue is showing a stallion, and for you as a leader that doesn't want to end up in court...

I was a 4-H Leader too, and no way are stallions allowed to be shown by a youth in any breed.

It's not just about the kid that is showing the stallion, its about everyone else in the ring too. Am I the only one here that have ever seen a less experienced youth get nervous in the ring and start creeping up on the horse in front of them?If you do show a stallion, you not only have to watch out for yourself, but always be watching out for everyone else around you too. If the youth isn't aware enough to do that, they shouldn't be showing a stallion. If the youth is aware enough to do it, it just adds a whole level of stress to the event that for the youth, for the parents of the other youth that know that lil Sue is showing a stallion, and for you as a leader that doesn't want to end up in court...
Pretty much what I was about to post myself. So many people just focus on their "perfect little stallion", but do not take into consideration the other children who are showing mares which could be in season. Even if not in season, many mares will react to a stallion, and not always kindly.

Personally, I think there is nothing like 4-H to use as the perfect tool, to promote our GELDINGS...which are the very backbone of other breeds, as Youth horses.

[SIZE=12pt]I taught mini 4H here in Montezuma County Colorado for several years and we as leaders were told no one is allowed to handle a stallion, big or small while engaged in a 4H activity. A stallion may not even be present at the fairgrounds during a 4H practice, including miniatures. (Our horse club, big and mini, are the only ones present at the fairgrounds on practice nights).[/SIZE]

Don't know about your area but I would assume the same holds true
default_wink.png

Joy
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back