4-H

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember that many of the stallion rules aren't due to the stallion or his handler, but are in place for the safety and the INexperience of the other handlers/horses in the ring. I can't show my stallion in hunter shows with youth, not because he's evil or I can't handle or ride him, but because other kids don't know how to handle their mares when given the stimulus of a passive, well mannered stallion. I don't think anyone under 18 should be handling or showing stallions in a public situation.

"I also don't think a mini stallion would be big enought to breed a full size horse."

No, but he'll die trying!

And yes, a mini stallion can and has breed full size mares before, even draft/TB mares. If the mare wants it enough and they're given time together they will find a way. Probably not in a show ring, but the physical act is definately possible!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been a 4-H leader for 20 yars and I dont think that any youth should show a stallion in 4-H, as previously stated it isnt about those who can handle it its about those who cant and 4-H is supposed to be safety first.
default_yes.gif

I don't know anything about 4-H, and

While I think safety is VERY important, I personally believe senior youth (whatever age you want that to be) should be allowed to show stallions.

The real comment I wanted to make is for many situations I hear the discussion of how unsafe showing stallions is, there are so many - probably equal in number - rank or hot mares and geldings out there as well. I get so frustrated that people get so fixated on stallions! I think very specific guidelines/policies just need to be written about what 'experienced' is defined as, maybe the horses need to be a certain age, etc.

As a 30 yr old adult with 15 years experience under my belt, I say that NO, stallions should not be allowed at a 4H event regardless of size or age of exhibitor. I have had stallions get away from me at shows and it is not a pleasant experience for even the most experienced. Things happen, leads break, halters flip off, clasps come undone. It's not worth it.

Plus, by not allowing stallions at 4H events, you encourage the use of geldings and the gelding of stallions!!
default_aktion033.gif

Sue_C. said:
Personally, I think there is nothing like 4-H to use as the perfect tool, to promote our GELDINGS...which are the very backbone of other breeds, as Youth horses.
txminipinto said:
Plus, by not allowing stallions at 4H events, you encourage the use of geldings and the gelding of stallions!!
default_aktion033.gif
Absolutely!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
I grew up doing 4-H and local saddle club shows in a large country and stallions were absolutely not allowed at 4-H events. Geldings were the standard and a well-mannered, well-trained gelding of any size was worth his weight in gold.
default_thumbup.gif
Coming to the mini world I was shocked at how undervalued geldings and performance horses are in general.
default_no.gif

I took Kody to a local show before he was gelded and my lord, what a mess! I had no idea how to handle a stallion and every full-sized mare there decided he either needed to be mothered or make THEM a mother and Kody was more than willing. Their clueless young riders were paying no attention and let these mares creep up on my excited young stallion and WOULD NOT LISTEN when I told them repeatedly he was a stallion and asked them to give me space. All I got was "Ohhh, he's so cuuuute!!" :DOH! I wanted to smack them and say "He won't be so cute in a moment if you don't back up!!"

Nope, NOT a good idea.

Leia

As a former 4-H horse project adult leader, I can tell you with certainty that NO stallion will be allowed to be shown at any 4-H event. Period. Nada. Zip. None. With VERY good reason.

I get so frustrated that people get so fixated on stallions!
The problem isn't the stallion.....it's the HANDLERS....not only of the stallion but of other horses in the area.

I was at a sanctioned miniature horse show. "Bozo A" was standing there holding his mare. "Bozo B", while leading his stallion, walked up behind them because he wanted to talk to "Bozo A". And "Bozo A's" mare promptly lashed out, catching "Bozo B" in both knee caps, and darn near put him in the hospital. And these were middle-aged guys who supposedly had been around horses for years!! That was just plain STUPID! Can you imagine a bunch of inexperienced kids?!?!?!?!?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back