24 hour LIVE feed of Watering Hole in Africa

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are you guys getting such close ups? All the while I've been watching the critters are so far away I can hardly tell what they are!
default_wacko.png
:

How are you guys getting such close ups? All the while I've been watching the critters are so far away I can hardly tell what they are!
default_wacko.png
:
There is a cameraman that is controlling the camera. He zooms in if the animals are close enough to do so and if their is enough light. Right now it is getting dark out, and the animals are not really close to the waterhole, so not many close ups. The ones I posted were taken last night (africa's early morning) and the light is behind the camera so the cameraman can zoom in. I took the screenshots last night between 11:15pm mountain time and 1:00 am mountain time. (As a side note: I am REALLY tired!!! Too many late nights watching wildlife!)

I don't know what's going on, but this is kinda spooky. I'm hearing a zebra calling out, and I think I'm hearing lions but I'm not sure. There's spotlights shining all over the place out there.
default_unsure.png
:

Sad news! One of the moderators (on site) just said on the forum that one of the young zebras was caught by a pride of lions. Makes me wanna cry. :no:

I don't know what's going on, but this is kinda spooky. I'm hearing a zebra calling out, and I think I'm hearing lions but I'm not sure. There's spotlights shining all over the place out there.
default_unsure.png
:
Well, it wouldn't surprise me if you heard what you think you heard. I know that there are some video images taken with this camera that are on youtube that show a lion eating. :new_shocked:
default_sad.png
But hey, this camera is on a wild game preserve, and we all know that the big cats have to do this to survive.

I do know that when looking through the archives at the link you provided that identifies animals that this same camera has photographed cheetas as well. Anyway, I am going to hope that the zebra was just sounding an alarm and that those cute zebra foals are ok! Otherwise, I know that this is the "circle of life". Sigh. Still, it will be interesting to watch anyway.

Lions are drinking right now!

OMG LOOK!!!! A lioness has come to the watering hole!! NEAT!!!! Holy cow there's a hole bunch of them along with the Lion...and you can hear them drinking!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Steph, what we were thinking is correct
default_sad.png

Here is an update from the africam forum that Steph linked to earlier:

QUOTE(karin on the watering hole forum at http://www.africam.com/boma )
Good evening! Quickly want to share the latest happening with you all. A young zebra was just caught by a pride of lions called the Stix. The pride consists of five females and one male. It is sad but unfortunately this is nature. Hope you all have a fantastic evening packed with great viewing!
I suspect that the calling may have been the mother?
default_bye-sad.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
: That is the hardest part. But that is the sad part about life in the wild.

On a brighter note, keep an eye out as that pride may show up to get a drink.

They DID!!!!! And the male lion sure did drink ALOT!!! Now they're sleeping it off. Looks like they have had their tummies full.

Here are just some quick screen shots. They are still on the camera!

eb204583.jpg

eb20387e.jpg

eb203888.jpg

eb203884.jpg

Nila! How are you getting those screen shots!

Larry wants to get some to save!!!

MA

Those lions are AWESOME! :aktion033: :aktion033:

Miniv, I think there was some instructions on getting pictures a couple pages back.

I am glad everyone is enjoying the camera!
default_smile.png

I just got a few more screen shots. Beautiful animals, I just wish nature wasn't so mean sometimes, but I guess that's the way it has to be :no:

Lions.jpg

lions3.jpg

lions5.jpg

MA
There is a "prtscn" button on most keyboards. hit this and it cuts it to your memory just like a "control-c" does.

Then just past it to your picture editor.

Oh, yes, there is another trick to turn off overlays so you don't get just a black background.

here is my post on how to turn off the overlays.

For those that want pictures and only get a black backgound when doing a screen print, I did find out that you don't necessarily have to download any program to take them and have them show up. I know that I use Windows Media Player 9 to view the cam through. When in Windows Media Player, click on Tools, then Options, and then on the performance tab. In that window will now appear a button called "advanced". Click on it. Now another area shows up and you want to look for "use overlays" or something simular to it. make sure that the checkbox is NOT checked. This should stop the black screens from happening. At least it did for my test last night.
Also, here is a link to a youtube that someone has already published that showed them all drinking just a little bit ago. You can also do a prtscn (print screen) of it as well!

Oh, and MA, Larry or anyone else can copy the pics I posted from the webcam. After all, they are not mine, just shots from someone else's broadcast!

MA
MA, you can scroll back through this topic where Steph put a link or you can go to the other topic I started about the watering hole and it has the link also.

I got pics of the zebra baby also. So sad! I'm glad that I must have shut off the computer just before that all happened. I know it happens, but I hate watching (or hearing it in this case).

Nila! All those photos you took last night of the zebras and other critters are almost identical shots to the ones I took!
default_yes.gif
:

Here are a couple of pics from when they first arrived at the watering hole.

eb2007a4.jpg

eb2007a0.jpg

And here are some more from just a few seconds ago:

eb20079b.jpg

eb200797.jpg

eb20029b.jpg

Back