2012 Nail Test

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Reaction score
I did the nail test this morning on my preggo girls for fun and got the following results:

Tango: FILLY! (bred to Doc)

Sweet Tart: FILLY! (bred to Doc)

Glory: COLT (bred to Doc)

Blondie: FILLY! (bred to Royal)

Copper: COLT (bred to Doc)

Not bad results, would be ecstatic with 50/50 Doc babies and another Royal filly!
default_aktion033.gif

Thought it would be fun to start a topic and have whoever had mares due (and wanted to try this out) post their nail test results and then come spring when the little ones arrive see how many were right vs. wrong
default_yes.gif

Tie a nail to a string, hold the nail above the mare's hips by the string and if it swings back/forth or side/side in a straight line it's a colt, if it swings in a circle, it's a filly.. Just an old wives tale, but so far has been pretty accurate for me, I do it every year just for fun!

I did the nail test on a Couple, But Still have More to Go ;)

Intrigue OPEN

Starlet COLT (She tested for a Filly this Last Season, But she Never Delivered)

I am Guessing She Absorbed her Foal
default_no.gif
I'm not sure if she will do the same this next year Sigh)

What happens to the nail if the mare is open? Can you do the test using a wedding ring?

Thanks

Yes Renee, a Wedding ring works as well. Going to test my girls soon too, great fun!
default_yes.gif

I did the test on my mares using my wedding band.

Shimmer - Filly

On Slaney it went back and forth but it seems to work in reverse on Slaney as when I tested her and it went round in a circle I got a colt and when it went back and forth I got a filly.

This yr it went back and forth so who knows maybe a filly?? LOL

All four of my pregnant mares tested for Colts! egads, I sure hope that isnt' true. I was hoping to get a keeper filly. Oh well, all that is trully important is that they are healthy. The two that I had bred that ended up non preggers, ring tested open. I dont find it always works, but it is fun doing it while waiting for the babies to arrive.

I tested my preggo mares and I should be having 2 fillies
risa8.gif
new_multi.gif

I also tested the boys to see what happened
new_shocked.gif
and it didn't move
new_shocked.gif
spooky stuff but very good fun.
new_rofl.gif

I do this every year mainly for giggles. Its fun and entertaining even if its "wrong".
default_rolleyes.gif

I have kept record of every cross we've done and these are my results:

11 pregnancies

Straight/back and forth: 9 ( 5 fillies vs 3 colts and 1 false pregnancy)

Circle: 2 100% colts

Here's where it gets interesting:

Stallion A: 100% straight/back and forth results in 3 different mares (4 breedings resulting in 3 foals). 3 colts from 2 different mares. 1 mare has always produced fillies and absorbed this fetus.

Mare A: 100% straight/back and worth results with 4 different stallions resulting in 3 births. All 3 births are fillies and the 1 cross that didn't result in a foal was to Stallion A who produces all colts.

Stallion B: 3 breedings to 2 different mares. Both straight results resulted in fillies and the 1 circle resulted in a colt.

This stallion is expecting 2 foals this year(not included in these numbers). 1 repeat across (mare A) and 1 new cross, both had straight readings. It will be interesting to see if the results repeat themselves with fillies.
default_pray.gif

All other mares were outside crosses or we no longer own so can not repeat the "expirement".

I have 3 fillies & 1 colt coming next year.

2011 I had tested for a colt & got a colt.

2010 Tested for 3 fillies & got 3 fillies.

According to the nail test (I did twice) Laney is having a Filly and even though Ricky looks it, he is not expecting
biggrin.gif

default_biggrin.png
Ya know I had tried this "thing" in years past but I used a sewing needle since that is what the ole ladies always did with expecting women. It would go crazy with horses (and dogs) and give you what seemed like every pregnancy the animal ever had. So I gave up on it last year. Well, after reading this I said "try it with a nail, dummy." Well lo and behold! It did nothing on open mares BUT on the two that I purposely had bred and who are very obviously in foal it showed FILLY FOR BOTH!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah So FaitIh should have a blue roan or bay roan filly. Choctaw could have a chance of about 30 different possibilities for her baby girl's coloration. Of course, I realize the nail test does not come with a written guarantee. I will be happy with healthy mommas and babies.
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

Hi All, I've lurked for years and one of my New Years Resolutions is to get involved with things that are important to me and my horses are very important. That being said, I have a question on the nail test. I tried a nail on a piece of bailing twine on my one mare that I'm 99% sure is due in April. It did nothing. SO I came back to the forum and read about the wedding ring so I took my husbands wedding ring (has small diamond in it but complete circle) on the same piece of bailing twine- same result. So I got a piece of cotton string that is about the same thickness as bailing twine just not as loose - still nothing. Am I doing it wrong or am I going to be SUPER disappointed. I know it's for fun and I will still be prepared because this mare has hid her due date on me before. LOL

Thanks

Back