1 1/2year old has not dropped testicles yet.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suen

Reaction score
Wondering what I should do.... Our 1 1/2 year old colt has not dropped yet at all. Is this unusual and should I have him checked or have vet do ultra sound on him? I hear it is not only very expensive to have them surgically removed but also very hard on the colt. We have had him separated from the mares just in case, but my understanding is that he can' t produce right now anyway. Any suggestions????

Have you called your vet about him? Sometimes he can feel them even though they don't appear visible. I had a colt with one that didn't drop. But the vet was able to detect it. When he checked him at about a year, though, he couldn't find it. He said to wait a little while. About 1 1/2, he did detect it and the routine gelding was successful.

I definitely would NOT put him with mares.

He can definitely produce. So keep him separated from the mares. Like the above answer the vet may be able to feel the other one so if you haven't, call him and have him come out.

If he truly has not dropped either one--if both are high enough in the ring, or above the ring, then body heat will kill off any sperm and he will not be fertile. But, if even one is actually 'right there' and you're just not feeling it then he could be fertile. It is also possible that one or both will drop any day.

I watched one done here on our farm a few years ago, it was not expensive and the recovery was no big deal either, maybe $100 more than standard because the vet used ultrasound to detect. If they are very deep then it is clinic visit and more expensive. Depends on the vet but mine had no issue with doing on the farm since they were not overly deep. I didn't want to wait until they dropped on their own. I would get somebody to palpate or ultrasound and then figure out what to do from there. Testicles are very small that are inside and not dropped which is why my vet didn't worry about removing them here on the farm. small inscisions, fast recovery. Vet will tell you if you have a more complicated case that would be more expensive but don't worry until you know what you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your vet will have to advise you. I ended up sending back a 1.5 yr old colt and opting to go with a weanling filly last month because of a testicle that wasn't dropped and wasn't "just there". I decided not to wait for the drop to happen. The answers to my questions on this board and elsewhere was that I could be waiting 6 months or up to 3 years!

I had many suggested my vet sedate and then "search" for the missing testicle. As I guessed, this wasn't something she was comfortable doing. She searched thoroughly without sedation and I trusted her recommendation that she wasn't willing to try anyway.

Make an appointment. Have your vet come out and give you their best advice on the matter. And then go from there. Good luck!

Do ask your vet as said above, and ask too what a "crypt surgery" will cost. I paid $500 for the one I did, in clinic, horse almost died and likely would have had we been in the farm without an extra vet and the oxygen tank. This clinic does not ultrasound so just had to search. As it turned out the vet searched the wrong area first. This vet will not do this surgery on farm, you must go to the clinic. Another clinic, two hours away, quoted me $1200--they do ultrasound and also require that the horse be at their clinic.

He certainly could reproduce at this point. Winter is not the best time to look for testicles, LOL And at his age, I would certainly not worry about it- I bet they are there in the spring when the weather starts to warm up. A stallion I had didnt have any dropped during the winter when he was a year and a half either, but in the spring turning two, there they were! Dont worry, it's normal. The registry actually gives them til they are 3 to have both testicles dropped, but many of them 'hide them' in the colder months.

My colt, who just turned 2 in Sept. has not dropped either of his. I was told his sire was a late dropper as well, though, so am not worried about it yet, It happens. My 5 yr old gelding was one of those that worried the crap out of me, though, he dropped one at a year old and waited till he was 2 days away from his 3rd bday to drop the second! I truly do not know what was worse- the testicle watch on him, or the colt who was born dropped and knew what he was from the second he hit the ground!

I have a seven month old colt (NOT one I bred!)and I check him daily as the other one has not yet arrived- I am already worried! Late dropping as said, appears to be hereditary and, for this reason alone, I count it as a real fault. It is an incredible nuisance, too, when you are waiting to geld.....

I have a APHA(I know, not a Miniature) that didn't drop his second testicle until he was three, going on four.

We have a this year Miniature colt that was dropped 3 months ago, but resently there are no testicles present.

If they are not fully descended at birth you are in real trouble (well, I always say "at birth" but in fact you have a couple of days) Colts often then, annoyingly, remove the evidence at weaning for a few months, but they should be back again, even if it is come and go, by 10-12 months at the latest. They often are not visible with just looking btw- I am getting REALLY up close and personal with my colt right now- can, I THINK feel the tip of the second one!

Just checked a long yearling colt for a friend, she rescued the little guy and he is fairly malnourished and immature...testicles were not "dropped" but with some poking around could find both of them up tight against the abdomenal wall, about the size of grapes so just have not developed enough (not heavy enough) to drop yet....takes a little skill to find them externally but I have no doubt this little guy can be gelded as soon as he is at a healthy weight.

Cold weather is the wrong time to be checking for testicles. And I am not sure why folks think they should be dropped as a weanling or yearling. MOST of the time they are not. I always check my newborns as that is a good time to tell in the first couple of days but other than that, I leave them alone. I have always had them dropped by the age of two.

Latest posts

Back