PALS Miniatures Foaling Thread *** Updated Pictures 5/21***

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O exciting, hope to find an announcement of a new baby from you soon!!! Hoping for easy foaling and healthy momma and baby!!!

It's a boy! Black with a large white blanket. Looks like tiny spots in it. He's still wet. She started labor about 8:15 PM. She was straining a lot with just the white sack showing. Poor Magic was really sweaty. Had hubby come to the barn to help get her away from the wall. Went in to check positioning and found one leg. Felt the head and had to 'fish around' to find the second leg. It must have been up over his head. Anyway, when she pushed hard again I was able to get ahold of both legs and got him out. Thank you God!! Magic is really tired, and I have given her some Banamine and some feed. She's eating and already passed the afterbirth. I'm headed back down to make sure he nurses. He's got 8.5 inch cannons, so he's got some legs. He'll have to 'duck' under to get a drink. LOL I'll take some pictures and will post them later.

Thank you all for your prayers!

congrats can't wait to see photos
default_smile.png

I am glad all went well. I had to work with my mare on friday also same birth issues. I have a sorrel pinto filly thank God.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just going to make a note that I bet she will foal tonight- sounds like she could barely wait til dark! Congrats and can't wait to see your new baby! How tall is the sire? That sounds like awful long cannon bones! Is he huge? Measure from the point of the elbow straight to the ground and also his height from the end of the mane. What I do is find the results of all- add it up and divide by 3 for an average of what they will be. From elbow to ground, double the measurement and add 2".

Here are the first few pictures I took of the new boy. They're not great. It's hard to get good photos of newborns. LOL Still working on nursing. I gave him a little taste of the milk, but he's still searching. Going back out to check on him.

IMG_5642.jpg

IMG_5641.jpg

IMG_5640.jpg

I was just going to make a note that I bet she will foal tonight- sounds like she could barely wait til dark! Congrats and can't wait to see your new baby! How tall is the sire? That sounds like awful long cannon bones! Is he huge? Measure from the point of the elbow straight to the ground and also his height from the end of the mane. What I do is find the results of all- add it up and divide by 3 for an average of what they will be. From elbow to ground, double the measurement and add 2".
I'll have to try that formula, Laurie. The sire is 34 inches, and Magic is 31.25.

Awww he is gorgeous!!! Sounds like he will mature right around 34", looks like he is a nice and refined boy too!

Congrats on your gorgeous curly little boy
default_smile.png
he is adorable and I can't wait to see him dry.
default_drool5.gif

Thanks everyone! Magic and the colt (haven't come up with a name yet) are doing well this morning. It took the colt 2.5 hours to find the milk bar. He was one of those colts that you just can't help! LOL He would get frustrated. So I watched from the house.

I was surprised at his curly hair too! We had a crazy 90 degrees here yesterday!! This guy came with hair for a 'normal' March or April! LOL It looked like he had spots in the blanket last night, but now it looks like it might just be longer black hair that is curly. I'll take some pictures when I let them out of the stall to stretch his long legs. LOL

Diane, the white goes way up almost to his withers. Still not sure about the shoulders. Let me ask you this.............He has 'tan' colored hair in his ears. Could he be a smokey black? Magic had a grulla colt last year by the same stallion, so I'm guessing she carries some kind of cream? I'm not that good with colors.

Melinda, Perky won't leave the barn and go outside. Magic is her 'best friend,' and she is staying by her stall. Magic doesn't seem to mind, for now, anyway. Course Magic is probably still tired. LOL She already didn't really want me to handle her baby.

I'll post some more pictures this afternoon, I promise!

I am so glad all is going well and thanks for the update. We will wait patiently for more photos

default_impatient.jpg
default_smokesmile.gif
default_whistling.gif
default_472.gif
default_gaah.gif
HURRY UP

Oh many many congrats!! Well done Magic!! What a gorgeous little colt - well not so little, look at those legs!!

Cant wait to see some more pics once he's dry and outside.

Like you I often find that foals 'object' to being helped to the milk bag and sometimes it also distresses the mare to have you fussing around with her new baby. We find that once all is well after the birth, most of the time if we step back and leave the pair alone, the foal works things out in it's own time - just as your boy did.
default_yes.gif

I let Magic and her colt out this afternoon. Tried to get some 'good' photos of him. Didn't happen! Magic kept taking him away from me. LOL Then the shadows were in the wrong place. Here are a couple anyway, and I'll get some better ones soon.........hopefully! LOL

Diane, I think his blanket has spots in it. Doesn't look much different 'dry' than it did 'wet.' That's interesting about the cream gene. I suspected that Magic carried it, but I never thought that the sire, Smokey, would or could carry it.

IMG_5647.jpg

IMG_5644.jpg

I couldn't resist posting this picture of the new colt. It shows his 'dished' face a little.

IMG_5651.jpg

Congratulations on a gorgeous boy, Pam! You always get the nicest color! And BTW, good save! Nothing scarier than a mare in trouble!

Melba

Oh thank you for the pictures - what a big strong colt!! And that little dished face is just adorable.
default_thumbup.gif

wow he is beautiful!

Latest posts

Back