Allergic reactions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend's horse developed hives. It was a couple of days after taking Bute. (She had slipped in mud and hurt her leg.) Has anyone had an allergic reaction to bute? Would it be more likely something in her paddock/something she ingested? Of course, the hives showed up on a Friday evening when vets are closed for the weekend. She was fine after two days, but it would be nice to offer some immediate relief.

What would you recommend for an allergic reaction?

I've had horses occasionally get hives for no reason I could tell. My mare gets horrible hives from mane n tail shampoo. When they come out they seem to bother her, but once they are there they have never seemed itchy or like they needed any treatment other than waiting for them to clear up.

Our vet recommended citerizine (otc) one summer and I still have a bottle on hand.

Would your vet recommend something you could also get over the counter?
We also use this for our horses. 1 pill (10 mg) per 100 lbs of horse, can do twice a day. The big horses get 10 pills twice a day, Marty (250 lb) gets 3 twice a day.

my vet gave my mini dexamethasone when he had a reaction to banamine. His nose and mouth swelled up within 12 hours after being given the dosage for colic. It was scary. She said its a good thing it didnt close his airways. His nose was so swollen. He has small nostrils to begin with.

Latest posts

Back