CMM *Melody foaled a palomino pinto colt on 3/12/14*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well from looking at those pictures of Summer, I would say that if she's not in foal then it is very possible that she has had a foal/foals in the past - but would add that if she is indeed in foal, then she has not yet reached the 300 day mark, so keep testing and I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Char, what a fabulous job to look forward too on a daily basis!!

Its like she is gaining weight on air! LOL anyways would anyone want to give me input/advice on a mare I really like? Don't want to post her on here, cause she isn't mine yet but would love help from the Aunties!
default_smile.png

Mine arrived safely and I have mailed you back - very nice mare!
default_yes.gif

Diane and Anna, thank you very much for your input! Loved and appreciated both emails
default_smile.png

Checked Summer's udder tonight and it was bigger again, not much but definitely something. Picture is terrible because I only had my phone on me, but will get real ones tomorrow!

Summer (udder).jpg

Summer had a bad accident this morning... I have been at the barn all day and just ran home to grab something. Please everyone cross your fingers and pray that she and her maybe baby will be okay

Alright so I guess I will start from the beginning... Where Summer is currently stabled there are several other horses, but Summer has an indoor stall and has never been near or in contact with any of the other horses. The 2 indoor stalls are actually attached to the house, so whenever your in the home you can literally hear every noise the horses are making (in the indoor stalls). Connecting to both stalls are "in and outs" or like a run in but covered, attached to a little dirt pen. A QH mare lives in the run in, and this morning when the woman who lives there was coming downstairs she hear loud bangs and ran into the barn to find Summer's attached door to the run in ajar. In side the 14x14 run in was the QH mare and Summer. To make a very long story short Summer was very badly beaten up by this mare, she took a kid to the head/face missing her eye by literally a centimeter. The other hoof must have whaled her shoulder because there is a huge hematoma. Her cheek bone and above her eye is some of the largest swelling I have ever seen. Her nose must have been bit because it has cuts and was bleeding. She also had blood coming from inside of her mouth.

Closing the run in is a large metal gate, like the ones to close paddocks and there is a huge indent where Summer must have been thrown up against it. The vet was actually shocked at the size of the lump on Summer's face. We waited awhile for the vet arrive, felt like days. I apologize for all of this to sound like a computer robot is writing it, I still can't wrap my head around everything that has happened today.

Summer cannot eat hay or grain, at first she couldn't even move her jaw. With banamine on board she seems better though. She is going to be getting soaked mushy food 4-5 times a day until she improves.

We had her face/jaw and head X-rayed but won't get the results until tomorrow morning. There is a possibility her skull and or jaw is fractured, but I am thinking its not because she did really try to start to chew as best she could when given her wet food. Forgot to add when she walks she drags her front left because of the kick to her shoulder, and she really only walks sideways as if she is sidestepping.

Even with all of the VERY visible boo boo's she still raised her head and whinnied every time we came around the corner. She is such a love bug now, and its completely painful leaving her. She so just always wants "her" people with her. I am very hopeful, even though I shouldn't be until x-ray results come back tomorrow morning. I will be back at the barn in a couple hours, and she will be checked throughout the night! Thank god someone lives there! We are MORE than lucky that this happened early this morning because if it were during the night, I honestly do not think Summer would still be here. The mare who "attacked" her is very vicious, almost shockingly so.

Just thought I would update you all since I have a quick second on the computer! Please continue to hope & pray there are no brakes! Will be back on tonight!

Thanks everyone xo

Oh wow. Poor Summer. I have my fingers crossed that all of those x-rays come back alright, and that nothing is broken. What a trooper. I'm so sorry she had to go through that, but very glad she is ok. Did they move the mare?

OMG!! How awful. Poor Summer, thank goodness someone was there to rescue her before some fatal damage was done. Sending prayers and healing thoughts.

Please keep us updated and give sweet Summer a gentle hug from me.

X-rays came back and were fuzzy but didn't seem to show any fractures!!! Thank god!

Summer wants out of her stall and she doesn't stop whinnying. Definitely feeling a bit better
default_smile.png

It will be a little bit of a road for full recovery face and shoulder wise, but she is such a trooper! If she had it her way I think she would already be running around her field!

So good to hear! Still can't believe it happened, pretty bad thing to happen. Is the other mare still in next to her?

Latest posts

Back