CMM *Melody foaled a palomino pinto colt on 3/12/14*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pictures - she looks so well! I think you have two possibilities, one is that she IS in foal but the birth is some way off yet, and the second is that, now we know that she is older than you first thought, she has foaled in the past and what you are seeing now is a brood mare's tummy which has become more obvious as her condition has improved!

But 'something' is happening to her tummy, so lets hope it is a baby that she is cooking in there!
default_yes.gif

I am really starting to think that she isn't pregnant... Anna if you or anyone had to take a guess by the photos how far along could she be?

Ha! Ha! That is a leading question - with so many answers!! If she is a maiden mare then she could be anywhere between 7 and 9 months approx IMO (just a wild guess you understand!). If she has had a foal/s before then there is really no telling - maybe halfway plus a bit through her pregnancy?? But how important is it to you to know the answer? Do you have other things you want to do with her - most healthy mares are capable of all sorts of activities whilst pregnant (not jumping though) and she is certainly a healthy looking little lady.
default_yes.gif

Out of interest have you tried the ring/nail test? In case you dont know, a lot of us do this just for the fun of it. Tie a nail or a ring (wedding) to a thin piece of twine and suspend it over the mare's hips/kidney area. If it starts swinging in a circle, its a filly in there, a straight back and forth along the spine line and its a colt. Staying perfectly still means no foal!! Of course you must make sure this is done inside or when there is no wind blowing. LOL!! Dont know why this works but it has mostly been correct for me.
default_yes.gif

how much are you feeding her? I just know with Penny I thought she was pregnant so I upped her feed, but she was just getting fatter cos I was feeding her more... still hoping she is pregnant for you though!

She is getting a cup of grain in am and pm as well and don't know exact for hay... What would you be giving? This is our first mini and I never know if we are doing things perfectly! lol

Anna I have tried the string test! Im not 100% sure it was silver so I am going to try it again! It went in circles and I even made it swing back and forth to see if it was just me and it eventually went back to doing circles on its own. So we will see! Could the hay be making her fat though? I think we are pretty generous on the hay!

I did not read all the posts but from what I have read and seen, you have a very pretty, maybe pregnant mare. You mentioned Wee Foal tests and I wasn't sure which ones you have. I had very bad luck (as did other forum members) with the Wee Foal 38 tests, but I would think seriously about the Wee Foal 120, which seem to be much more accurate. Assuming that she was bred in the spring, she should be at 120 days very soon. If the test comes back negative, you could wait awhile (get used to it if she IS pregnant LOL!!) and try again. Good luck. You have come to a good place on this board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are great comparison pics Diane - things are looking hopeful!!

Diane wonderful comparison! Thanks so much for doing that
default_smile.png

She doesn't like to be caught in her field now LOL and really doesn't like the little mule we introduced her to, oh well! I am now on the hunt for a show mini! Thought I would share with you all, since the past 3 days I have looked through dozens of ads and photos! I have a couple I really like but still not positive who it will be! Still searching in the mean time! I am very excited to have my own mini and it will be wonderful for my sister and Summer as well!

Target I just ordered 3 of the 120 day wee foal, and just got an email that they shipped so will keep you all posted on how that goes as well!

Your mare is so beautiful, I'm hoping she IS in foal lol. Can't wait to see how you go with those testers, I'm thinking of buying some for my mare just to rule pregnancy out (or in lol)

Oh yes! I would absolutely love to share what I have found with you ladies! Also do you have any suggestions for farms or maybe even a particular horse you know? I really want something under 2 years old, and preferably a 2012 weanling. Would love love input! You can all add me on FB
default_smile.png
I am under Lexi Chase... Although sometimes people have a hard time finding me... Why that is I have no clue!

Hi Lexi-

I think I just sent you a friend request on FB but the best way to contact me is via e-mail at [email protected]. I am in CT, just south of West Springfield, MA. I highly recommend a Pinto mini (double or triple registered) so you can come to the Pinto shows in Oneco, CT, not too far away. Well, actually the joke is the shows are 2 hours from anywhere! They are fun, people are friendly and helpful, and it's a great way to get into showing. There are also more AMHA shows in this area.

ETA: I can tell you farms that are great to deal with in this area and farms to stay away from.....

How exciting - cant wait to see the pictures of your final choice!
default_yes.gif

Hi Everyone! So tonight there was definitely change to Summer's udder... But don't know if its normal or not. I didn't have my camera so the photos are really bad because they were taken with my phone. Wanted to know if it looks like normal change! You can see it looks like there is a slight very small bag the left side in the photos looks larger... Can you all see the tan/pink color they are? Is all of this ok?

photo-7.JPG

photo-6.JPG

photo-5.JPG

photo-4.JPG

photo-3.JPG

photo-2.JPG

photo-1.JPG

Aw I hope this means something's happening for you
default_smile.png
How did you go with the preg tests?

Back