CMM *Melody foaled a palomino pinto colt on 3/12/14*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!!! Haven't gotten them in the mail yet... Should be here tomorrow
default_smile.png

It all looks perfectly normal to me - the two separate sides of their udders often 'fill' at a different rate, certainly at the beginning.
default_yes.gif

UGH! She started to pee tonight and when I opened the door and went to try and get some I scared her and she stopped, and acted like a deer in headlights. Poor thing is probably going to be scared of going the bathroom
default_new_rofl.gif

Anyways udder looks like it went down BUT the "edema" also looks like it is getting smaller... Not sure what that means! But I took a bunch of photos and will share them with you all! Let me know what ya think!!! Do you actually think she could be 3-4 weeks out being this small compared to other mares I have seen?

DSC_0584 2.JPG

DSC_0569.JPG

DSC_0559.JPG

DSC_0527.JPG

DSC_0484.jpg

DSC_0506.JPG

DSC_0494.JPG

DSC_0534.jpg

DSC_0466.jpg

DSC_0468.JPG

DSC_0472.jpg

Hey Lexis, I used the paper towel trick with my mare and it worked really well. I was amazed how much urine you can collect that way lol.

Whats the paper towel trick???

Summers udder was a bit bigger again tonight...

photo-8.JPG

Using paper towels to absorb the urine off the ground and then squeeze it into a container for testing. That way they can finish peeing before you harress them lol. The idea was on the site i bought the test from and a little bit of dirt doesn't affect the result.

Last edited by a moderator:
looking good
default_smile.png

haha my mare Penny (the one who is very similar to Summer)
default_smile.png
was the worst to collect a sample from LOL I ended up taping one of those first aid pads to her behind and got a sample that way...

looks like it could be the start of something for Summer
default_smile.png
very very exciting!!

Cant wait to hear the results - once you get that elusive sample. LOL!!

I use the paper towel method too - carry one in my pocket, soak up the urine and squeeze it into a paper cup. I would filter it through a paper towel into another cup but if you let it settle and take off the top you should leave most of the dirt behind anyway. Good luck!

Between Summer and Robin, I find myself on here way more than I should be, checking for updates. Crazy little mares.
default_smile.png

Thank you for the welcome Castle. I don't want to hi-jack someone else's thread, but thankfully, there is not much to tell. I don't have any minis of my own *yet*. They are not allowed in my area, as I live in a neighborhood. We are moving this fall though, to a small hobby farm. I do plan on getting a few minis then. I have a ton of animal experience (I used to work in a Zoo), so I am somewhat familiar with basic animal care, and what it takes to care for "exotics". I'm hanging around on the forums here to pick up as much knowledge and as many tips as I can before then. And I check in here at the "Nutty Nursery" for the excitement. :D Plus, it can never hurt to know what to do in case of a pregnant mare. I've heard many stories of mares surprising new owners with unexpected foals.

Just want to start off with a warm welcome Snapple!!! Please don't feel like your hi-jacking my thread! We all love to chat on here
default_smile.png
and we would love to know more about you! How very exciting you plan on getting minis!!!

Ok so a few days ago I managed to catch Summer peeing and collected in from the dirty floor with a paper towel, there were so many shavings in it I debated on even trying... Anyways I did 2 tests and both came back negative. Re-reading the directions it said collect pee in the morning, LOL of course I did it at night. Oh well! She is getting rounder and unless she is under 120 days pregnant or over the 300 mark then Summer is not pregnant... Will have to get more photos of her today!

Here is the photo of the tests

PS... I am finding it extremely difficult finding the perfect new mini (or 2) to add to the family
default_sad.png

photo-9.JPG

Hi Snapple and welcome to our Nutty Nursery - great to have you join us, but please dont stay as a lurker, do join in with all the chat and fire away with any questions any time you feel like it, and, of course, give us your own thoughts and ideas.
default_yes.gif

By the way, I'm sure Snapple is not your real name, so what do we call you? Would love to hear about some of the animals you came in contact with at the Zoo as well!

Sorry about the test results - keep trying (mornings!!) and we will keep our fingers crossed.
default_yes.gif

I have fallen in love with a broodmare... GO FIGURE! Exact opposite of the 2012 foal(s) I have been looking for.....

Anyways here are a few photos of Summer from tonight, excuse the poor quality!

DSC_0534.JPG

DSC_0525.JPG

DSC_0526.JPG

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
default_smile.png
You can call me Char, I'll go ahead and put it in my signature to make it easy to remember.

I worked mainly in the Birds and Small Animals area, which meant birds (obviously) of all shapes and sizes. Flamingos, owls, parrots, emus, cranes, etc. The small animals included kangaroos, otters, anteaters, prairie dogs, basically anything small and furry that did not fit anywhere else. I also worked with the education animals, which are the animals that are brought out for educational shows around the zoo, and for shows at schools. Those animals were tortoises, snakes, lizards, frogs, hedgehogs, and lots of small, easily handled animals. The other area I worked in was the petting zoo, which was goats, sheep, and pigs. I loved my time there, nothing better than going to work everyday to hang out with animals, and to teach people about those animals.
default_thumbup.gif

Broodmares always look so cute and chunky. I think when I get ready to get my minis, I will probably go for a couple of broodmare pals, if I can find them.

Latest posts

Back