Book Club 2024

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
I started a neighborhood book club!! So that got me thinking… does anyone want to have a mini horse forum book club? We can discuss the books we read and ask meaningful questions. We will pick a new book at the beginning of each month and have it read by the end of the month.

If you would like to participate, please post a book for the group to read. I will compile a list together of which books we will read in what month. It is preferred that you have already read the book or that the book has been recommended to you.

During the month the group reads your book, you will be the host. As the host, you will need to create questions to get the group discussing the book. Questions can be found on the internet or sometimes in the back of books. The host should try to have the questions posted by the 25th of the month.

Oh this is going to be sooooo much fun!

January book will be Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus. Let’s try to have it read by January 31, and I will start posting questions January 25.

IMG_2710.jpeg

I love the idea, Kelly, but my problem would be getting the book. Your book choice sounds excellent but both the online library system and the physical building have waiting lists. I would be #126 in line, waiting for one of five copies. 🤯

You have great taste! 🤣

I'll be following, but I'm not at a spot where I can buy books right now. Lol. Or ever. Though I did buy rough magic.

I do hope you enjoy the book! The library has a copy still and I hope they keep it as that is a book I want to read again in a year or so.

Like so many people everywhere the rising costs also have me looking at what can be done without. Animal feed in our area has gone up in the past few years anywhere from 25% to 75% depending on item. I love to read though and use the free library app a lot and look for the occasional .99 cent deal on Kindle books.

My Library has it and I am 959 in line for the audio book. Not sure audio would count anyway??? 47 in line for the book. 😢

Last edited:
Good grief! 959? 🤯

I’m not sure, of course, but audio is still the entire book so why not? In your case the wait is crazy for the audio version!

Maybe you just need a longer time table, or possibly older books? My previous local library was about the size of a 1 room schoolhouse and hasn't bought new books in, well, 30 years ago there wasn't anything new. You basically have to get on a list to borrow the book from a library that has it, and they loan it to every library that doesn't have it. I don't even think I have a library in my new town.

The reading club is a great idea especially during these winter months. Older books are also a good idea.

Would it be an idea for us to post maybe 5 titles of any era that we have, or can get? Maybe there would be an overlap somewhere!

Ok, here are 5 titles. Let me know if y’all can’t get one of these books and I will scratch it.

1. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
2. Fly Girls, by Keith O’Brien
3. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doeer
4. Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt
5. Mad Honey by Jodi Picoult

And if you can’t get a book, post which books you are able to get. 😊

I do have Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult. Most of my books are sci-fi/fantasy, or newer books that I randomly get sent in the mail. I just got Wellness by Nathan Hill, for no reason that I can tell....it just showed up on my porch a few days ago with no note or anything.

I have been watching this thread from the side lines cuz I find the idea of a book club intriguing, but I've never been part of one, so I don't really know how it works (other than from the movie "Jane Austen Book Club.") I mostly read historical novels with strong women characters and occasionally, books that for whatever reason grabs my attention. I just finished "The Invincible Miss Cust" about the first woman veterinarian in the UK and am about to read "North Woods" by Daniel Mason. I have "Where the Crawdad's Sing" but haven't read it yet. Probably, like others, I literally have stacks of books in my little reading room (a animal free, quiet place :) that I haven't had a chance to read. I will continue to watch this thread as it plays out. Sounds interesting.

Here is what I’m thinking… we can make whatever changes as we go 😍

FEBRUARY
Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
Host: Kelly

MARCH
Fly Girls by Keith O’Brien
Host: @MaryFlora

APRIL
Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult
Host: @LostandFound

May
Rough Magic by Laura Prior-Palmer
Host: @MaryFlora

June
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doeer
Host: @HersheyMint

July
Mad Honey by Jodi Picoult
Host: @Bennysmom

August
North Woods by Daniel Mason
Host: @1roadtoad

To host a month simply means to post questions about the book in order to get the group chatting about the book. Questions can be found on the internet or sometimes in the back of books. Let’s try to have books read by the end of their month and questions posted by the 25th or earlier of each month.

What do y’all think??

**Edited to update books

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back