Where do we start?!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewMiniFamily

Reaction score
We have been asking around and talking to some farms so we can come for a visit but I know nothing about horses!
Some ads we have come across are a yearling stud colt, gelding and a ridgling assumed to be sterile.

We just want a companion for my 14 year old. She use to take care of the neighbors horse and is missing him terribly.

No plans to show or breed just a family companion. Is there a particular breed, age etc we should be focusing on. I plan to read a ton but wants to create my own post to keep my questions in one place 😁

Thanks!

If you want something safe for your daughter, stay away from anything under 3 years old, stud colts, stallions, and ridgelings. A gelding is probably your best bet, between 5-20 years old, with a friendly attitude. There are a lot of people that will tell you there are exceptions to the rule, and there are. But there are also a lot of people that will tell you their horse is the exception because you are inexperienced and can't tell that they are lying. You don't really need a specific breed, there is a lot of variety in each one and if you aren't showing you won't need papers. And if you are getting just one, you really want one that is living alone right now and ok with it. Some horses are just fine alone, some never are ok with it and you don't want to find out afterwards that yours isn't. Of course you could get 2 right away.

Welcome from Minnesota NewMiniFamily! You are in a good place to read about all things mini including diets, housing, activities, and breeding. Members have a wide range of activities from simple activities to driving and competing. Please ask any and all questions that you or your daughter may have!

Perfect idea to visit area farms, stables, even horse shows as you are able, to see, touch, and talk with horse owners. The experience a mini has, as well as his/her disposition, is in my opinion your first and most important set of factors.
Stallions are generally not a good first choice as they have their own challenges.
Mares and geldings are the most common first horse. Minis are long lived so don’t be afraid to consider an older horse!

Have an absolutely wonderful time browsing through the world of horses!

Welcome to the forum. You ask why a young colt is a bad idea for someone with little experience. You need to have some experience and to be able to take a colt and turn them into an educated horse. It is not easy and requires patience and knowledge. Think of it as two kindergarteners trying to teach each other algebra, it doesn't work too well. Your best bet would be an older horse, mare or gelding, that has had some training and life experience that can be your partner in learning.
Ridglings, even assumed to be sterile, still need to be gelded for health reasons and that can be a big (expensive) procedure depending on anatomy. They will be happier gelded and sometimes a retained testicle can cause pain or other issues down the line.
Good luck on your search, take your time and talk to as many people as you can. And when you find the right mini, it's a very good idea to line up a veterinarian and have a pre-purchase exam done to make sure mini is healthy,

Exactly what Cayuse said. A colt will test out behavior and if it isn't corrected in the right way it can escalate. They will try to bite, or rear, or kick. They will try to pull away or spin, forget how to tie, plow you over. They are unpredictable, anxious, and want to play rough. It's not because they are bad, it's because they are babies. An older horse already has some common sense and some training and you can find one that's already safe. If you get a baby you take a chance of ruining the horse by letting it learn dangerous behaviors, or your daughter getting hurt and scared because it's just unpredictable.

I would second the pre-exam by a vet before a purchase, just to make sure the animal is sound and in good health. I recently purchased an 8 year old gelding that drives. I was so happy to have found him and asked dozens of questions about his health, which I was told was good (I even saw his recent exam records). The one thing that bothered me about him is that he was completely shaved except for his mane and tail. I asked the owner several times as to why this horse was clipped all over and was told that it was because he was worked on a daily bases, so it was easier to keep him clipped rather than having to brush him out etc. My gut told me something was wrong, my heart already fell in love with him. I got him in May and I just found out last week that he has Cushing's Disease (PPID), unusual for an eight year old, but common in minis. I mention this to be helpful as I've learned a lesson the hard way. My new little guy will be okay with meds and a proper diet, but I just learned another one of life's lesson the hard way. Have great fun finding a mini, they're the best.

My dad, with the best intentions possible, bought me an 8 month old filly when I was a young teenager so we could "grow up together" - he and his friends had horses back in the day and I had taken some riding lessons so we felt qualified for this. She bit my arm when we went to look at her but I stayed quiet because I didn't want to lose this opportunity. She kicked me when I tried to groom her, she kicked my dad and his friend when they tried to "train" her, and for the next year or so she became a nightmare to be around (100% our fault as inexperienced horse people, not hers). We ended up giving her to our neighbor who ended up neglecting her, and since moving from my childhood home I never knew what happened to her.

My young life would have been completely changed if, instead of a young horse that needs training, structure, and skill, my dad bought me an old horse that just needs to be loved on. I now have two yearling colts (one just recently gelded, the second soon to be) and I'm older and wiser, most importantly qualified to train them, and I love them to bits, but still I wish I stuck to my original plan to get a couple older horses that we could love on. It is stressful making sure I won't fail my yearlings, every single moment is a training moment with young horses and if I miss some of these moments they can go south very quickly.

You will hear many reasons why it will not be a good idea to start with a young horse, or an ungelded horse, and as always there are exceptions to the rule, but I cannot stress enough how much more fun and rewarding it will be for you and your daughter to start with older, experienced horses. Seriously, even if you only have a few years with an old horse it will be the most enjoyable few years you can have, then that experience will allow to you expand into challenging adventures with horses if you want.

Another relatable story, we have a single mom neighbor down the road that purchased a baby jack donkey for her daughter - some months later they realized the donkey needed a friend so they got a pony colt to be his friend. They have no horse experience and the animals live in a very small, asphalt area - they are now 2 years old and the biggest pushy, bitey monsters you can expect two mis-trained, cooped up, young male equines to be. The daughter is scared of these animals (that were purchased for her to love) and for a quick moment we thought about taking them in before we found our current boys. We are extremely glad we didn't go down that path - after that behavior has been learned it can be so difficult to undo.

I cannot thank you all enough. What a great group of support this is!
She will be a bit sad I am sure as she really liked him but her safety is my main concern. It was cute to see her interact with him though and how comfortable he was with her leading him around. I am sure we will find her perfect fit that makes us all comfortable.

Thank you again 😁

Oh goodness, please no foals or youngsters. Obviously that's the consensus here. As a breeder (of warmblood horses, I don't breed minis) I shake my head at people who sell young horses to inexperienced homes! Very sadly, one of my weanlings died because the buyers misrepresented themselves as an experienced home with lots of support. It wasn't the case. It wasn't suitable, the colt got sick and died. Now I keep my young horses longer and investigate new potential homes a lot more if I don't know them personally already.

My daughter has had horses since she was 2. The first 3 were over 20 and each exactly perfect! The most recent we only got to keep for only 4 years before he needed his final rest, but the gifts these old, safe, trustworthy animals gave my child, and many many more children, was priceless! Most recently, my 14-year-old daughter has a "younger" mare, 17 this year. I think a good rule of thumb is to add up the child and horse's age and it should be at least 20 between them. 25 might be better, and 30 doesn't hurt my feelings either!

Last edited:
Consider a retired brood mare. Many breeders would love to find a good home for their retired mares. They are generally calm, though some have not been handled a lot and will need some training.
No, on the colt for sure. They play rough and you will need to go through the gelding process, which I always dread.

I feel like there aren’t many options in our area but we will keep looking!
Recently saw an ad for. 10 year old bay miniature gelding.
So older is a plus 😁
I could also hire someone to come in and help train us all with our new mini.

Just want a good fit all around.
You'll be fine all by yourselves. Just getting acquainted is the first step. Check out that bay gelding! Bay is my favorite color. And not that common.

You'll be fine all by yourselves. Just getting acquainted is the first step. Check out that bay gelding! Bay is my favorite color. And not that common.
Thanks! The owner sent a few videos of him being groomed and ground driving. He was driving a cart at one point but I guess hasn’t in awhile now but they did said that if we wanted to get a cart this little guy would be game!

He is adorable as well so that helps lol

I feel like there aren’t many options in our area but we will keep looking!
Recently saw an ad for. 10 year old bay miniature gelding.
So older is a plus 😁
I could also hire someone to come in and help train us all with our new mini.

Just want a good fit all around.

Take as much time as you need to find the most perfect match, one day an ad will appear and you'll know they are the one! I spent months looking for minis and I felt like there were very few of them out there, of course now that I have my own I am seeing ads everywhere for minis.

Don't be afraid to hire a trainer if you need it, they will be extremely helpful in setting your family and the horse up for success. I have another neighbor with two minis, they have limited horse experience and they have a trainer out about once a month just to keep them on the right track with handling and interacting with their horses. Not everyone needs the help, you might find you and your family are naturals at horses, but it was very good for them.

Whatever you end up doing, keep sharing your stories with all of us here! Horse shopping and new horse ownership are exciting and we would love to follow along.

I would second the pre-exam by a vet before a purchase, just to make sure the animal is sound and in good health. I recently purchased an 8 year old gelding that drives. I was so happy to have found him and asked dozens of questions about his health, which I was told was good (I even saw his recent exam records). The one thing that bothered me about him is that he was completely shaved except for his mane and tail. I asked the owner several times as to why this horse was clipped all over and was told that it was because he was worked on a daily bases, so it was easier to keep him clipped rather than having to brush him out etc. My gut told me something was wrong, my heart already fell in love with him. I got him in May and I just found out last week that he has Cushing's Disease (PPID), unusual for an eight year old, but common in minis. I mention this to be helpful as I've learned a lesson the hard way. My new little guy will be okay with meds and a proper diet, but I just learned another one of life's lesson the hard way. Have great fun finding a mini, they're the best.
Regarding a pre-exam - since we don’t live close to the current owners would we then just call a vet in their area and schedule a meet up?

We are going tomorrow to have a look at one and want to be prepared, ask the right questions and get an idea what to look for. Being new to the horse world myself I feel very unprepared. My daughter knows more but even then any tips or advice on what to ask and what to look for is appreciated.

Right, get a vet in the seller's area - ask the seller who they use, and don't use that same practice, you want someone neutral. Usually you'd go see the horse, then arrange for the vet check if you want to buy the horse. I would definitely not skip the vet check, and make sure to tell the vet what you intend to do with the horse and that you are novices. If the seller tries to pressure you to buy without a vet check, run away, that is a huge red flag. By the same token, the vet will always find SOMETHING, so don't expect a squeaky clean check either - it's a matter of deciding what you can live with and what you can't.

My best tip is don't let the buyer make excuses for the horse. If the horse is limping, skinny, coughing, rearing, won't let you pick up it's feet, whatever, the buyer will usually say oh my, he's never done that before. And sometimes it's true. But not usually. You want to make sure that the horse will do everything you need it to do. Can your daughter pick up his feet? Brush his face? Walk him away from his friends? Will he stand tied alone quietly? Can you catch him if he's out? Some things won't matter to you. I don't need a horse to cross tie because I don't have cross ties. I also don't care if they are hard to catch because it doesn't matter with my set up.
Ask how the horse is for the vet and farrier. Any health issues? Has he been out on pasture, can he handle grass? How does he get along with other horses or alone? Does he respect fence? Any vices? How is he with kids? What scares him? has he been ridden or driven? If it's a mare has she been bred before and has she been near a stallion? And if you are buying him you should ask what they are feeding him so you can get the same thing.
A red flag for me is a horse that looks like he's just been worked hard, looks sick, bad feet, or if they bring out another horse with him.
When you call the vet, definitely let him know what you plan to do with the horse. A pre-purchase exam can go all the way from the very basics to doing x-rays. If you just want a quiet companion, the vet will probably only focus on the basics and maybe give you some advice on personality.

Latest posts

Back