splash and sabinos

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
Please help me firm up these patterns in my feeble mind by posting your pics of spalsh minis and sabino minis. Please label them. I would appreciate it very much.

Robin

Splash:

toetyj0.jpg

Sabino...

Brookhavens Oh My Miss Scarlet. Appears palomino but the lightness of her coat is due to "roaning" (white hairs mixed in her coat. She also has a blaze that falls off to the side,a chin spot and irregular or pointed socks behind.

ScarletHead.jpg

Sorry it's big...don't know how to shrink....

This is Mack, the horse in my avatar who is a maximum splash. The white starts at the ground and moves up their bodies. He has black inside his ears and a smidge in his tail.

Mackhead.jpg

MACK2.jpg

This is Dream. She is a maximum Sabino. White hairs mixed in with her sorrel hairs so much so that she almost appears white. She shows more colour in the winter than in the summer. She has the typical face white that continues onto her bottom lip and chin.

dreammannyE.jpg

scan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The easiest way to discern between splash and sabino, for me is this:

Splash

Edges of pattern make straight geometrical lines

Markings generally not symmetrical when viewing both sides of horse

Face markings tend to be bottom heavy and off centered

Blue eyes present, with pink skin around them

Sabino

Edges of pattern are jagged, frayed, patchy or speckled

May have "penciling" around edges of pattern

Markings tend to be symmetrical both on the body and the face

Face markings tend to be centered on the face, with white found on chin and under jaw

Lips will have dark "mustache" on sides of muzzle

Brown eyes present

Here are pics of splashed whites I either own or have bred.

This is East Acres Stary Night, a silver dapple splashed white mare.

6-06StaryNight1.jpg

This is Redrock Ima Flashy Showgirl, daughter of Stary Night above.

ShowgirlSept3.jpg

This is SBH Sunrise Masquerader, a minimally marked splashed white mare.

7-06Masqurade.jpg

Here is her 2005 daughter, Redrock Flashtacular.

7-06Flashtacular1.jpg

This one is Redrock Solar Flare, 2006 daughter of SBH Sunrise Masquerader.

6-06SolarFlare3.jpg

I'll start another reply for the sabinos.

Here are some sabinos.

This is Redrock Incognito, chestnut sabino stallion.

9-04IncignitoLiz.jpg

This is Redrock Corkers Sandy Lassie, black sabino mare.

7-06Sandy3.jpg

Those two together have produced:

Redrock Taloga, chestnut minimally marked sabino colt.

TalogaSept04-2.jpg

Redrock Wakita, a maximum expression chestnut sabino colt. Wakita had color from his ears down the top of his back at birth, but it quickly 'roaned' out to white.

WakitaAug05-3.jpg

This is Redrock Little Blossom, a black sabino. She may also carry splashed white.

7-06LittleBlossom1.jpg

Bred to Incognito above, she produced Redrock Crocus Blossom, a maximum white sabino and lab tested to be a black horse!

CrocusJune05.jpg

I was so glad to see this thread! I'm trying to find a splash but in B size, hard to find.

All beautiful minis too by the way!

These two are full sisters ... one is pinto, one isn't, but they're both sabino ... at least, I think that's the explanation!

Icicle:

Icicle06.jpg

She has the white on her face and one white sock, and her entire body, even through her mane and multicoloured tail, is quite roany.

Kenzie:

Kenzie2.jpg

Even the coloured markings are mostly roan, very light, except for one ear which is pretty bright sorrel ... it's be fun to watch her grow up! What a shock when she was born, all that white!

The minimal expressions of Sabino and Splash are also quite different.

Splash produces blue eyes as the norm, although not in every single case, and the ONLY hint that Splash is present can be those bright blue eyes in an other wise solid horse.

Whereas Sabino does not carry blue eyes and so, if blue eyes are present as in a couple of Becky's horses, although the base pattern is still Sabino there has to be something else present in order for the eyes to be blue.

It is worth noting that the only Pinto pattern that can be tested for in Heterozygous form is Frame- LWO- and if a horse is thought to be Sabino and exhibits blue eyes it is well worth testing for LWO to make sure that the horse is not carrying that instead of the suspected Splash.

Better by far to be safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Back