ZZ moved today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
Since I moved a few weeks ago, ZZ was boarded way too far for me to drive to see him much, so I moved him today to another barn closer to my apt. This is a Miniature Horse farm and I have known the owner for years, so I know he'll have wonderful care there.
default_yes.gif
: Linda (the farm's owner) really liked ZZ a lot and said I need to get driving him (he is trained to drive, I just dont have a cart yet), since she saw and loved his movement (he was put out in a paddock next to mares and he had to show off...LOL!)
default_wub.png
: :lol:

Susanne and the rest of the Hwy 30 contingent...can I still be a "member"...??
default_unsure.png
: :bgrin

I used Tracy's Honda Element again to haul him...this time using a tarp! Much easier clean-up...duh me!! LOL
default_rolleyes.gif
: :eek: Since we are no longer together, tho, I doubt she'll be letting me haul him around in her SUV again (this was already a planned event). Oh well...guess I'll need to find something else to use when I need to haul him. I'd love to get a small truck or an SUV, but with the gas the way it is, it doesnt make sense to have something like that for the "few" times I'd be using it for ZZ.

*Edited for spelling error!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Linda, that's great that you found the perfect place for ZZ! I know he'll be happy and you will be too!

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Linda, you'll always be part of the Highway 30 contingent!

How about getting your own used Honda Element? Isn't the mileage pretty good on those?

Hey, I was just at the Honda dealer on Tuesday trying out the Element as a potential mini-hauler! How's it drive?

Leia

I just cannot believe that anyone in their right mind would even consider using a vehicle like this as anything except a one off or an emergency (in an emergency all bets are off- you use what you have!!)

If you had, God forbid, an accident, not only would the horse get it worst of all but, were it to be the kind of accident where you had to brake hard, the horse would become a projectile, killing you or a passenger on it's way through to the oblivion of the windscreen.

Even with a crate in place there are the windows to consider- even tinted windows are considerably hotter than a proper trailer side.

I will not have anything except a van with fitted crates for my DOGS let alone a horse- I have recently taken to carrying one horse in my van BUT it has a floor to ceiling, reinforced screen between me and the back so the horse is contained.

You really do need to think long and hard about the safety aspect of all this- even if you do not have, as we do, laws to prevent you doing this, if there were to be an accident, I am pretty sure the law would throw the book at you- an unsecured "load" that is potentially dangerous- the possibility of the other party claiming the horse was kicking up, causing the accident, - would your insurance even cover you if something happened??

I doubt it very much as they will use any sort of excuse or reason to wriggle out at the best of times.

Please- be very, VERY careful about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm happy you were able to move him someplace closer to you! I know it will do so many good things for you to be able to spend more time with ZZ
default_yes.gif
:

Linda, you'll always be part of the Highway 30 contingent!

How about getting your own used Honda Element? Isn't the mileage pretty good on those?
Yay!! Thanks Susanne!! :bgrin Even the used Elements are too expensive for me right now, but I do love them! One of the most versatile vehicles out there and yes, the mileage is comparable to a small sedan, like my Elantra.

Hey, I was just at the Honda dealer on Tuesday trying out the Element as a potential mini-hauler! How's it drive?

Leia
It drives wonderfully!! :aktion033:

I just cannot believe that anyone in their right mind would even consider using a vehicle like this as anything except a one off or an emergency (in an emergency all bets are off- you use what you have!!)

If you had, God forbid, an accident, not only would the horse get it worst of all but, were it to be the kind of accident where you had to brake hard, the horse would become a projectile, killing you or a passenger on it's way through to the oblivion of the windscreen.

Even with a crate in place there are the windows to consider- even tinted windows are considerably hotter than a proper trailer side.

I will not have anything except a van with fitted crates for my DOGS let alone a horse- I have recently taken to carrying one horse in my van BUT it has a floor to ceiling, reinforced screen between me and the back so the horse is contained.

You really do need to think long and hard about the safety aspect of all this- even if you do not have, as we do, laws to prevent you doing this, if there were to be an accident, I am pretty sure the law would throw the book at you- an unsecured "load" that is potentially dangerous- the possibility of the other party claiming the horse was kicking up, causing the accident, - would your insurance even cover you if something happened??

I doubt it very much as they will use any sort of excuse or reason to wriggle out at the best of times.

Please- be very, VERY careful about this.
Jane,

Yes, using this vehicle isn't ideal as a horse hauler and you make some good points. If I were to get and use this type of vehicle for myself, I would use an barrier between the front and back to help protect me and my horse.

In warm enough weather (like yesturday), I would have the back windows open (they dont open much) and also I had both front windows open and ZZ actually enjoyed the breeze. He wasnt too hot back there at all.

The safety barrier is an absolute must -- as well as something (cattle or hog panels, etc.) to separate horse from window glass. (and Jane is right, large dogs also become dangerous missiles in a collision. Crates can save their lives and yours. Our little dogs have seatbelts.)

We currently use our Ford Windstar, but are in the market for a cargo van that will be our dedicated horse hauler. In that we'll install a cargo barrier, rubber matting, dividers, etc. Keith saw one the other day that already had a safety barrier with a passageway from the driver's area and rubber matting, but this one was too new for us, so we keep looking.

There are other dangers in van hauling, such as a higher center of gravity and other effects on vehicle handling, but there are also dangers withh horse trailers.

I always worry about the temps in any sort of hauling, and really like having my horse right with me so that I can open windows, turn on climate control, heat, ac, whatever is necessary. With the van, I worry less about people tampering with doors and hitches at rest stops, or pilot error with these, the rough ride in many trailers and the possibility of a horse falling.

For those who do not own a horse trailer, it is vital that you have some sort of emergency transport, even if it is not ideal. The family van or a car with the back seat removed can mean getting to the vet in time. Test it before you actually need it, and be prepared.

Latest posts

Back