Your July 4th plans?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REO

Reaction score
What is everyone doing for the 4th of July?

We'll do as we always do. We fix some hotdogs and sit in chairs in the pasture closest to town (it's just right there) and watch the small fireworks show! Love it! Sometimes the mares mosey over to visit. Nothing like petting horses while watching fireworks and thinking about what America means to me & being Thankful.

default_smile.png

I will get another year older and prepare a to do list of what I will be doing the Monday following the 4th which is when my furlough begins as well as making a to do list on what to do with my forthcoming Monday furloughs. I will be cranking up loud music in the barn to prevent a re-episode of horses stressing due to fireworks. I will also be praying a lot for God to have mercy on our country and for a re-awakening in the hearts of the people to take a stand against tyranny. I will also be enjoying friends, family, and diet
default_sad.png
food.

It'll be your birthday? Well HAPPY BIRTHDAY Vickie!

It'll be your birthday? Well HAPPY BIRTHDAY Vickie!
Yep, I was almost a firecracker (the 3rd). We will not be having hot dogs because we have just finished up a large package of them. I am thinking about cooking calamari. My husband will get big juicy burgers, maybe with blue cheese and red onion (licks lips.) I think I will make homemade potato chips!
Now, speaking of hot dogs...has canned chili gone to the dogs or what? I remember how good the Wolf brand my grandparents ate was and now IT and every other brand I have bought lately are: disgusting. I love my big bowls of winter chili but what I look for in a hot dog chili is different. So finally I have started making it out of Jimmy Dean's or Owen's spicy sausage. Amy's vegan is my new brand of canned chili when it is "just me."

We only eat hotdogs a few times a year LOL. I make weenies for the 4th because I can fix them up and stack them in a big bowl which is easy to carry out with chips & sodas to watch the fireworks.

But if I have to have some any other time, I have to have them as beanie weenies RANCH BEANS and cut up hotdogs in it.

Or with chili con carnie on it. I like Hormel.

Slamming big 4th of July picnic here. Lots of food on the grill, burgers, hot dogs and pulled pork, corn on the cob, macaroni and potato salad, deviled eggs, watermelon and assorted deserts. Plenty of LOUD rock & roll music and dancing. Everyone's coming. Dan & Ashley and my baby grandaughter, all their friends who still call me "Mom". Connie from CLP will also be here for the party and a few days. If it rains, like it has been every single day, I'm totally going to have a fit.

Anyone want to share a decent recipe for barbeque sauce? Nothing hot. Has to be relatively mild.

I will be boating on the lake with the hubby and friends and setting off fireworks. I actually got the 4th off this year, and the 5th so I can recover from one of my favorite holidays.
default_smile.png
Be safe everyone and have fun....Happy early Birthday Vickie!

We are grilling with my children & grandchildren and a few family and friends. The neighbors like to shoot off fireworks so we will probably pull up a chair and watch those.

We live not far from Herrs potato chip factory. Herrs puts on a big firework display at Nottingham park with thousands of spectators... We aren't big on crowds so we started a tradition many years ago of finding a place close enough to the park to watch the fireworks. We milk the cows early and the whole family piles in the car and we go to view the fireworks. When our first baby was still in diapers we found a cool back road very near the park. You can hear the band and it is like being at the show, but on a quiet back road. We were sitting next to our car and a lady that owns the house at the end of the road beckoned for us to join her family in her yard. That was 15 years ago. Every year she says "see you next year". We come back every year. Two more kids, year after year for 15 years straight. We have watches her family group grow and then get smaller and smaller as her family had other plans, Hershey park, etc... these last few years and our family of 5 outnumbered her family.

She told us two years ago how sad she was that she didn't get to see her grand children often any more. Last year we pulled up and her house was dark and there were no chairs outside. We were afraid she had moved or something had happened to her, but we stayed and got ready for the fireworks. Right before the show started, her porch light came on and she came out in her pajamas and pulled up a chair and sat with us.

We were her only company last year to enjoy the show and I bet that if we had not showed up, she probably wouldn't have come out to watch. We all agreed that it was the "best show ever" and then she says ...
"see you next year" as we left.

We will be there again this year, haven't missed a single year in 15 years enjoying the firework display from this womans front yard "best seat in the house". I hope some of her family comes this year.

on the 4th itself, probably have a small gathering and some hamburgers. Still have to milk the cows twice a day, holiday or not.

Hoping for no rain,... sheesh it has not stopped raining and flooding here for weeks. We are ready for some sunshine.

best wishes folks.

Happy Birthday Vickie!

Marty can I come to your house? you named off some of my favorite foods!!! I can bring homemade sauce.

I guess I can take a cyber trip to Robins for some Hot Dogs, I LOVE hot dogs! and then to Marty's mountain..please take photos and post them OK? so I'll feel like I was there with y'all.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe I actually decided to take a 5 day vacation off of work, starting the 4th.! I planned to relax and get a couple things around the yard done. Nope! Last minute I decided it would be prime time to redo all the rooms in my house with carpet to hardwood floors to match two existing rooms.

My Birthday (26th.) is the 5th. and the first day a friend will be coming to work on the flooring, should take 2-3 days. Lots of moving furniture and construction stuff. I will be extremely happy with the end result however I am one of those people that hates things out of place or disarray for any amount of time. I might freak out.

The 4th. will probably be spent preparing the house (moving furniture and tearing up carpet). The night of the 5th. I am going to a concert with the Fiancé. It's a Daughtry, Three Doors Down and Halestorm. Don't care much about the other two but am anxious to see Halestorm. The 9th. I am having my new leather sectional sofa w/ power reclining seats and cup holders (LOL) delivered.. Very excited about that.. And some new wall art (horse, of course)..

Overall going to attempt to relax among everything. Plan a night with a friend I haven't been able to see lately.. And if there's anytime left I am hoping to rent a backhoe or bobcat to demolish some stuff around the yard (fun!) and perhaps level out some horse turnout area..

Hope everyone enjoys the holiday!

Wow shorthorsemom, what an awesome lady that is to have you over every year! I bet she looks forward to it. It's sad that her own family quit coming. Maybe give her a card or little gift basket this year as a thanks for 15 years of sharing. I bet that would mean the world to her
default_smile.png

I wish you a great birthday Michelle!

Debby, seriously, COME! You can be Connie's surprise!!!!!! That would be awesome! Really. Can you make it?

Hi Reo, We used to take a small gift every year but she would run into her house and try to find something for us to give back and it felt awkward and one year I baked her something and it wasn't something she was allowed to eat, so now we just give her the company and chat farming and weather and all try to guess which firework color they will start with. Maybe I can come up with a creative gift this year since last year her family was a no show, thats a good idea. I am hoping last year was just a fluke and this year her yard will be filled with her kids and grand kids.

Last year the display was the biggest fireworks display we have ever seen, Mr. Herr passed away in April and the 4th of July celebration following his passing was absolutely fantastic, a tribute. They also do an incredible christmas light display every year too.

Happy Birthday Michelle!

shorthorsemom that was such a nice story but it sure was sad to hear none of her family was there last year
default_sad.png
that's a shame but I'm sure you showing up was a heart warming moment for her. That is so sweet having a tradition to look forward to. I think your fellowship is gift enough.

Marty that was wishful thinking on my part, my travelin days are long over. It seems here lately we plan going anywhere to coincide with being in town for a Dr. appt. It would be cool though, if I wasn't tied down here like I am I'd love to visit you all.

ps Happy Birthday Michelle!

I am going to a concert with the Fiancé. It's a Daughtry, Three Doors Down and Halestorm. Don't care much about the other two but am anxious to see Halestorm.
OMG !!! I am soo jealous you are going to see Daughtry I would looove to be there.
default_wub.png
I am crossing my fingers that Council will give us Friday off. Thursday is going to be a sad day because Treasure will be getting a new home, but I know its a good one.
default_bye-sad.gif
I will have to drive down to VA Wednesday night, then come back Thursday night if I have to work. All my family will be having a good time at the lake.

OMG !!! I am soo jealous you are going to see Daughtry I would looove to be there.
default_wub.png
I am crossing my fingers that Council will give us Friday off. Thursday is going to be a sad day because Treasure will be getting a new home, but I know its a good one.
default_bye-sad.gif
I will have to drive down to VA Wednesday night, then come back Thursday night if I have to work. All my family will be having a good time at the lake.
I was very excited about the concert - bought the tickets as soon as they went on sale for premium seats; now, I thought about trying to sell them on FB because I have so much other stuff going on this weekend.

It's in Solomon's Island and if it rains out for fireworks on the 4th they are moving them to the 5th / same night as the concert.

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Happy Birthday to you Michelle.

Everyone be safe.

Back