Your July 4th plans?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy belated birthday, Vickie!

I waited until tonight to tell of our "plans". We actually didn't plan; just waited to see what came about. Well, first we had hay delivered and my hubby and son unloaded and stacked it. Then we went and saw "The Lone Ranger" (Johnny Depp is SO funny). Stopped at Culver's for an early supper/late lunch. Came home and I started cutting out a new costume for our next show and hubby went out and drove his horse (I should have been driving mine!). Hubby had wanted to take them to the state Equestrian trails (which are only about 25 minutes from us); but I begged off. Too much rain lately and I figured the trails were going to have mud holes and the mosquitoes and bugs were going to be awful (I'm originally a city girl). Bet the horses would have begged off from it too. Now I'm checking out my favorite sites and hubby's watching a favorite DVD. Skipped the fireworks - oh well. Still, a nice day.

We spent the afternoon in the pool with my daughter, her husband and my 2 adorable grandchildren Bea & Joe!! Then my Mom came over and my hubby grilled some delicious T-Bone steaks! Watched the fireworks from our backyard!! I kept close and checked on Misty and Josie through all the loud booms! It was their first 4th here, last year they were only 2 and 3 months old at the breeder way, way out in the country!! They were just fine all tucked away in their barn safe and sound! Even our 9 month old Lab Abigail did great with all the big BOOMS!!
default_yes.gif
Happy 4th to All!!

Well, we didn't have hot dogs!

Earlier we made a huge pan (one of those turkey roasting pans) of..............NACHOS!

Tortilla chips, with refried beans all over them, and cooked hamburger with taco spices all over it. Tons of cheese (real cheese not velveeta) and sliced black olives. Then baked it all toasty and melty. Then I put diced tomato all over it and sour cream. We watched TV and pigged out!

Then we fed the cats dogs & horses, Watered them. Then set out chairs at the edge of our place and watched the BIG fireworks Fletcher let off. We are close but not up under them. It was wonderful!!!! No cars, traffic, people, just us. Our horses are not afraid of them. I so enjoy it every year!

I worked all morning then I started cooking. I made potato salad, cole slaw and baked beans then vegged out on the bed to read. About 3 I started the ribs and made my sauce...oh man were they GOOD! My Mom came about 6:00 and we had a good supper! no fireworks but it was a nice relaxing day.

Last edited by a moderator:
We went to see the fireworks last night. Went to the same place we have been going for 15 years. House was dark, yard was empty. Nobody was there. We set up our chairs anyway because last year she said "see you next year". About 3 minutes before the fireworks started a car pulls into the driveway and my kids say "I think its her mom!". She comes across the yard with a huge smile and her lawn chair and parks it right next to my crew. She says, I hurried home, I never miss the fireworks, so glad you came, I knew when I pulled in the driveway it was you! Chatted about her family, sounded like even if they don't have time to do the firework display with her anymore, but they still are part of her life. She enjoyed bragging about her grandsons. I think we made her night. If we were not there she would have been watching alone. 15 year tradition. One more year. The fireworks were awesome and we all sounded like the animals in the movie "babe" OOOOHHHHH AAAHHHHH, and "wow, that was the biggest" and some "that ones new" comments. She gave us a hug and said "see you next year",. Isnt it great to have some tradition in life?

Great that so many of you had such good fourths!

Where I live, the rural area has been taken over by sell-off acres turned into subdivisions, and the newbies don't have a clue about animals and rockets!

The old timers here pretty much have the same problem as I do - the horses do not mind firecrackers and big booms; what happens when suddenly fire rains down from those rockets onto the paddocks, mayhem ensues! So I rig up a temporary area next to the house and move the pasture guys there, stallions in the barn with the radio and fans on. AND, this year we have had thanks to the newbies, July 3rd, July 4th, July 5th and July 6th. Seems it would be enough already!

We Love the 4th, but wish some people could use a little common sense, oh well, next up - new years eve! And that is another story.

We actually ended up having boiled crawfish. Normally I go buy them and go with slightly spicey. My husband went to buy them and told them "awe, we love spicey." Let's just say they were seasoned at some level between Habanero and My Face Is On Fire
default_torch.gif
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif
default_10_2_12.gif
so I only ate a fraction of what I normally would.

I worked on the 3rd even though it was my birthday. Decided with less people there I could get more done. My husband worked part of the day on the 4th because he had a case (teeth) with a short deadline. While he was backing up in the driveway to get to work he hit my truck. I have a caved in driver side passenger door.
default_frusty.gif
Although sad, I could not get mad since a couple of months ago I accidentally set one of metal outbuildings on fire.
default_new_shocked.gif
default_oops.gif
default_gaah.gif
and burned up my last 15 or 20 bales of hay. My hay guy still asks me if I have been playing with matches lately.
default_hot.gif
is my reaction.

To make matters worse, my husband had given me a lame birthday card that showed where someone's birthday cake had set the ceiling on fire and in the inside said maybe we should start celebrating your birthday outside. Card was identical to one he gave his sister some years ago. He wrote in it, "first the barn, and now the ceiling." Needless to say, that went over like a lead balloon. So, after smashing my car in and going to work he came home with a dozen red roses and a mushey wifey card and said "tomorrow we will go someplace nice for your birthday dinner." Not wanting to keep the man in the doghouse I readily agreed and began a conquest to find a place appropriate for getting him out of the doghouse.
default_wink.png
We drove to a place just about an hour away and we will be repeat customers. It is on Caddo Lake. We sat on a second level screened in porch overlooking the water. We shared appetizers fried green tomatoes, stuffed jalapenos, and hush puppies like I have never tasted much less seen. They were huge and light as a feather. I had crabcakes and he had redfish.

The fireworks on the 4th were not as loud or close as years before. Probably the economy, plus the neighbors kids are older and busier with other things. But, as a precaution we let the horses listen to Seminole Wind by John Anderson all night.

Back