Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I notice ground driving Buckly that when I ask for a whoa he always turns slightly to the left.  So I am trying to be ready with the right rein.  Also, asking for quick whoa-walk up transitions is helping him to stop more straight.  He still wants to move left when asked to Stand.  Right now I am more concerned with getting a good Stand that whether he is straight.  We will work on straightness later.  I trotted behind him today--he was a little spooked at first with me coming up quickly behind him, but soon figured it out.  I need to work him more; just too lazy.

Dapper Dan wore his boots today for the first time on a full drive.  We went our 2 mile route.  It was a pleasure to see him trotting comfortably on the rough gravel.  One time on the paved road he seemed to slip, but I think he is still learning to lift his feet in the boots.  I stopped to check them 3 times.  Once I tightened two of the boots.  No debris in them when we got home and no sign of any rubbing.  I'm pleased!

thanks Marsha for being the  'easy boot tester'.  it is on my list of 'gotta haves'.    However i dont need to have them here, it is mostly sand and very rarely seldom even see a stone let alone a rock,  nothing like rock heaven (Ky.)  i think i lived there??? really don't remember

I have a lot of rocks here, too.  I envy the good footing that you have now Jeannie.  I was just mulling over what to do about my welsh pony, he has thin soles but can't be shod without sedation. The gravel bothers him sometimes.  I spent the afternoon reading up on Venice Turpentine and Durasole.  I think I might try one of those.

I drove both Peanut and Cappy today.  It was an odd day.  They both were very "looky".  Lots of animal activity in the underbrush and trees, it was like driving in a jungle.  Squirrels thrashing and birds screeching and branches snapping.  Plus it was cool, no heat to take the edge off.  Plus, I did not ground drive Cappy first and he needs that or to have a run in the paddock first to blow the stink off. That is something I always need to remember to do.  But we got finally got settled and hopefully worked off the excess energy.  

Come to think of it, even the welsh pony was all goofy this afternoon.  Maybe the deer were in the area. Or Bigfoot.

I am looking at a used cart next week that a friend has for sale.  If the measurements are right, we will bring it home with us.  

My sister came out with Jackie O and we had a very nice drive.  Had to stop once for a neighbor to spray some OFF on my sister.  We went through a rather rough place then had to go down through a ditch to get back up on the road.  Had not been that way since the rain so I didn't think about standing water.  Had to get out of our vehicles so our horses could get through the tall grass and mud.  I wondered what the Easy Boots would do, if they would get sucked off or filled with debris--they did neither.  DD did not stumble once this time and I was happy to see the toes on the back feet are rounding out and not worn square any more!  I had to wash the boots but there was hardly any debris in them so I don't think I need to worry so much about debris rubbing him.  Nice breeze so once we got out of the tall grass no mosquitos.  Very nice drive!

Thanks for the Easy boot update,  I am glad they are working out for DD and that you had a nice drive.  It is nice to hear your  first hand experience with them over differing terrain.  I would like to get a pair for Peanut at some point, probably in the Fall as that is when my field get hard. The Cavallo boots I have for Cappy are too small for him.  

I hitched and drove Cappy by myself yesterday.  My mom watched and was on "stand by" if I needed a hand.  He was a good boy and stood very quietly.  Then I ground drove Peanut.  I am still not comfortable putting Peanut to the cart without my hubby near by to speed things up if I can't hitch him fast enough. Peanut has his own timetable and runs on his own schedule☺.  I have hitched him alone while hubby putters around the barn and that's OK.  I'm not ready for 100% solo yet.  I need to know someone is nearby.

MajorClem, did your carts get to you yet?  Hope you can drive this weekend.

I hope EVERYONE  has a chance to drive over the long Holiday weekend!

Hubby spread the manure pile yesterday.  The tractor tire left a big flattened hunk of old black poo  hidden partially in the grass.  Peanut and I came trotting down the hill this morning at a pretty good clip and all of a sudden, BAM! he slammed to a halt.  I think he thought it was a hole in the ground ?.  He did the same thing once with a snake in his path, he screeched to a halt and then jumped sky high over the snake, gathered his wits and proceeded on with our drive like nothing happened.  Scared me though!  

Last edited by a moderator:
Hubby spread the manure pile yesterday.  The tractor tire left a big flattened hunk of old black poo  hidden partially in the grass.  Peanut and I came trotting down the hill this morning at a pretty good clip and all of a sudden, BAM! he slammed to a halt.  I think he thought it was a hole in the ground ?.  He did the same thing once with a snake in his path, he screeched to a halt and then jumped sky high over the snake, gathered his wits and proceeded on with our drive like nothing happened.  Scared me though!  
Good thing you didn't fall out of the cart.  Mine has done that with black tar lines in a street.

Sounds like everyone is enjoying the spring driving. I am envious of those of you who have trails to drive on. It's all road driving for me around here. You'd think in such a rural area there would be more trails but most of them have been closed to horses to accommodate the big city move-ins and there mountain bikes. Our biggest trail system just got shut down to horses due to hikers complaining of poo on the trails. Breaks my heart. 

My FIL is going south to deliver and install some cabinets and will be coming home on June 7th with an empty cargo trailer. He has kindly agreed to stop and pick up my wagonette and EE cart so I will finally have something to drive. I'm really sad to have missed driving all of May. Our weather is so great this time of year. We really need to get the kinks worked out of our horses living in two different locations during the year. I may rotate taking who goes south in the winter. Then I can work with one or two of them both places and I'll keep at least one vehicle in each location.

Marsha: So glad the boots are working for you. I think I'm going to be getting fronts for Candace and Clementine. With nothing but asphalt to drive on I think it would be a good idea to prevent concussive injuries to their joints. 

I am trying to decide if I need to thin out the herd a little bit. It would be a huge stress relief in one way but a stressor in another. It stresses me to have so many to work with but at least I know they are happy and well taken care of if I'm the one caring for them.... We'll see how the summer goes.

And... in final news. Clementine seems to be back to her old self. Gave her and Major their summer shave downs on Friday and she stood there totally unbothered. Hasn't been aggressive or unhappy at all since coming home. I think she will NOT be going south again. Apparently she doesn't like the desert.

:ThumbUp  for Clem! Happy that she is feeling back to herself.

I  completely understand about your reluctance to"thin the herd", in all my years of having horses, I have only sold one.  There has been a lot of really old timers hanging out around here, they don't ever move on unless it's to that big pasture in the sky.    Do you have any trustworthy friends who might like to lease a mini?  That way you would be able!to get!a break, but still retain some control over their care.

I agree with Marsha and Cayuse. I leased a mini two years ago. 15 yo gelding and not worked. He was such a nice, lovely boy! But he was his own man and his beliefs in live was to rather hang around on the pasture than working... Then, we discovered he had a genetic disease called tracheal collapse and vet advised to retire him because it's incurable. His future was to be a lovely pet for children. So the owner took him back for her little boy and I was looking for a new driving mini, then I found Teddy and Moony. I felt very bad at this moment, but I think this was one of the best decisions I've ever done. The mini with the incurable disease is now enjoying the retirement and he's very beloved by children in his new home. He is much happier there than he was here because he don't have any pressure to perform.

I think it's better to have less minis and train them well than having more horses and not enough time for each. I have three mini horses (and my two old, retired ponies who have their rest home until they die at our place), but it's the maximum for me. It works, but it's only working because they do very well and I can train them all at a time when I have not enough time to work them separately. 

Called a trainer last night.  I'm going to send Buckly to him.  He only has big horses but I know he can do littles also.  It isn't that I let my horses get away with stuff, it is more that they know I am not naturally a boss mare, a leader.  I am tired of people telling me I need to train myself; I have tried to train myself to be a leader and it just isn't going to happen.  I just can't seem to match myself with the correct horse.  My husband watched me with Buckly lately and a few nights ago he told me I should get rid of him.  I am going to try the trainer.  

I mostly lurk here but this sounds so much like my experiences. I can ground drive a green horse but those first times in the cart I always have a trainer do it. I have found that most ponies will have a least one "blow up" in the cart and then they settle into it. I think you are doing the right thing and a trainer can work with you to help you get started with him.

Your not alone in finding it difficult to be the leader.  I have always had a hard time with it.  I can do it for a short period time if I remain very cognizant of having to be the "boss" but it does not come natural and it can be kind of exhausting, if I am to be honest about it.  Basically, I'm a pushover ?.  Peanut needed a leader badly when I bought him and I learned a lot from him (and another mare I had) but I am surely glad he and I have  (almost) reached our happy place of mutual respect and have "peaced out" lol.

Sending Buckly to a trainer sounds like a really good option.  You like him and his personality and that's a big plus right there.

When is he going to start his boot camp?

well, i will stick my two cents here.  you have to make hard decisions in this horse world.  i had to let my big guys go.  it was soooo hard.  Traveler, a born on the farm baby that we kept for 14 years was just too much for me.  he was a big quarter horse.  not a mean bone in him.  but i actually couldnt clean his stall and couldnot get on him anymore.   a young man came along and brought his own saddle and pad with him.  he brushed him and talked to him.  (i should stick in here that he only loved me and acted up, a little when he thought someone otherr than a family member was going to get on him).  but he fell in love with this young man and Traveler never looked back when he led him to his trailer.   i cried for days, but i knew i did the right thing.

sending Buckly to a trainer is an awesome alternative.  i am having a little fear of Daisy,  don't know why but i am having someone come over and drive her for a few days. i hope that will bring back my confidence.  Dont ever be afraid to ask for help.   wouldnt it be great if we could get together once a month and help each other.  i think we would sail through all our problems together.   love you all.

He will call me tomorrow to set up something.   He is a young cowboy, but a wizard with horses. 
Nothing wrong with a cowboy, sometimes they have more horse sense than the fancy trainers and he sounds like he might be one of those that has a knack with horses.  Wish we had a few good cowboys around here.  Good luck with him!

Jeanne, I get nervous with Cappy when I am in the pasture instead of the smaller area.  I make hubby drive him  out there first.  Cappy has more respect for my husband and usually a few spins around with him settles him down.  Cappy has just so much to say before work starts in earnest. I keep waiting for this phase to pass!

You will get sorted out with Daisy.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing wrong with a cowboy, sometimes they have more horse sense than the fancy trainers and he sounds like he might be one of those that has a knack with horses.  Wish we had a few good cowboys around here.  Good luck with him!

Jeanne, I get nervous with Cappy when I am in the pasture instead of the smaller area.  I make hubby drive him  out there first.  Cappy has more respect for my husband and usually a few spins around with him settles him down.  Cappy has just so much to say before work starts in earnest. I keep waiting for this phase to pass!

You will get sorted out with Daisy.  
I think the modern cowboys are a little more scientific than the ones I knew growing up in the wild west.  Life was harder on man and beast in those days.

What I fear is that Buckly will turn out to be like Rowdy--fine as long as his pasture mate is along but a dangerous brat when I tried to take him out by himself.  Buckly has never been alone.  Dapper Dan was an "only" for our early years together, and off and on he has been an only.  He likes his companion, but can work alone.  If Buckly cannot work alone, then I am in trouble again, as I don't have anyone to regularly drive with me.   If I were younger, I would seriously consider getting a team setup.  But it isn't something I want to do by myself at this point in my life.  I just want to have a nice horse and go for a pleasant drive without drama.  Is that too much to ask??

Thumbs up for your decision, Marsha! I think Buckly will turn into a nice driving horse, he just needs self-confidence. If you're always in fear that he's turning into a Rowdy-like, you're sending the wrong signals by your subconscious and you cannot stop this. So the only way to break out of this pattern is getting professional help who can show Buckly that he's a cool and balanced driving horse. Good luck for Bucklys boot camp, I'm excited to hear about his progresses :)

Latest posts

Back