Your Barns!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DixieGirl89

Reaction score
So hopefully in a few years I'll be moving. I told my fiancé that there is no way I'm moving without land! Since I have 2 big horses and 1 mini, even though I'll probably be buying Spirit off of my parents, I want to have a setup for them as well. Plus I'll probably be purchasing another mini when I move, I can't just have 2 mini's lol. I'm trying to get a feel for what I want. I definitely want 6 stalls, just in case, with one stall big enough for baby+ mom, if Charm proves herself as a show girl, I'll most likely breed her instead of buying another horse and keep the baby. I need some visuals, maybe a stall actually set up for a mini, with a lower door? Definitely gonna have an outdoor arena plus round pen. How big does a pasture have to be for a mini? I know it's 3 acres for 1 horse here and 1 extra acre per horse. Does the same rule apply to minis? Building a dream barn here and not settling for anything less haha. I've been waiting my entire (23 years) life for this day!!! lol doesn't seem like a long time, but you know how it is when you dream about it all the time, and then you find out you can make your dream come true. Also I've heard a lot of good things about I think it's RCA? Does anybody have any built by them? Too excited and can't keep my questions in order lol.

Minis can get by on 1/2 an acre per horse but it is Not a matter of what they can get by on, it is a matter of what your local ordinances are. If the requirements are 1st horse 3 acres, each additional 1 acre, that will likely include minis and ponies also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my barn is much smaller than you need but I love it! I am a retired Kindergarten teacher and we just built it last summer for the 2 minis we were getting in October. It is just enough for me to keep clean and take care of but you are young and probably have lots of energy!!!!! Here are a few pics of mine which could be made bigger!!

IMG_2960.JPGIMG_2962.JPGIMG_2963.JPGIMG_2968.JPGIMG_2969.JPGIMG_2972.JPG

Oh, I want your little barn, Misty'sMom! How sweet it is!

Holy cow! You're little barn is so adorable! Hmmm I guess less stalls would be more low maintenance. Hey even though I'm only 23 I have little to 0 energy lol. I work in a factory, and I've been beaten to the core. I have arthritis, fibro mayalgia, and tendonitis. I'll be lucky if I make it to 35 without being in a wheelchair
default_rolleyes.gif
I'm not sure what the local ordinance is anymore. Last time I checked was 7 years ago and I'm pretty sure they've changed it since then. I've seen people with 2 horses and 3 acres around here and nobody bats an eyelash, so I'll probably be ok with about 5-6 acres.

So sorry you have arthritis, FM and tendonitis you are too young for all those ailments!!!!!!!
default_no.gif
I have RA but I am able to stay pretty active. I retired last year from teaching Kindergarten so I am just enjoying my grandchildren, my dogs and of course my minis.

Have you found any other barns you like?? I searched and searched on the internet for barn plans/designs. Even when I found this one I changed it to what I needed.

Thank you Lisa, I just love my little barn!!

I agree, totally too young for that stuff lol. Hey life happens and there is nothing I can really do about it. I keep looking online at barns, but I just wanted to see those modifications that people made specifically for their mini's.

My experience is that many minis cannot handle unlimited access to lush grass. Depending on their metabolism you might need to think not about how much land to put them on but how to limit grazing. We have to keep ours on a dry lot during the grass season. "Luckily" we don't have green grass for 5 months a year so he can go out in the big pasture then!

I plan on having stalls for feed management plus dry lots. they are in a 4 acre dry lot right now, they're metabolisms are pretty slow lol, not to mention we only have green grass for about 5-6 months here.

Latest posts

Back