YOU WILL NEVER GUESS?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaC

Reaction score
After all the stories of late foaling mares, we had a shock suprise this morning - found a little filly out in the field, approx 6 weeks EARLY!!

Last weekend we loaded up our few infoal girls, plus a separate trailer load of gates/board/etc (for indoor stable construction) and carted them all some 6 miles down the road to daughter's farm where they are going to foal this year, in a nice indoor building with plenty of room for big stalls and play areas if the weather should be bad. The mares all loaded beautifully and travelled calmly (at around 10mph so as not to shake the coming babies!) The first mare to foal (we hand breed) was not due until earliest 28th July so we thought we were pretty ok in getting them moved.

Apparently not! LOL!! This morning daughter looked out across the field at the quietly grazing mares and spotted a small object that had no business to be there.
default_unsure.png

Mad panic to call the other mares down into the barn, shut the doors on them and opened another door to a separate space for the following Momma mare and new baby. She trotted happily in followed by her bouncing daughter! I dashed over to help throw down bedding, get protective boards quickly tied up against the cow/sheep fencing which surrounded Momma's new 30'x30' stable! Momma had a drink and enjoyed a feed plus some carefully sliced "clever girl" apples, and we looked at our new filly. Tiny, and a bit frail leg wise as yet, she's all there, drinking regularly on a bag that had no milk (well it was just a little filled yesterday when I looked), swallowing happily and when she dropped the teat the milk was running out! This is an 'elderly' experienced mare and I just know that if anyone can raise this little girl, she will do it. She has given us 5 fillies and 1 colt so far, bless her! But her due date this year was the beginning of August and she has never been early before!

Ok I know you are fed up with all my chat, so here's a quick phone picture - please excuse the lack of clean bedding, I grabbed the picture before we smothered the floor with loads of straw. Will get more pics tomorrow. Momma is a British mini Shetland 31" and Daddy is Darmond Boogermans Bravado 28".

April11023.jpg

Now rushing to get the rest of the stalls built in case anyone else decides to jump the gun - and I thought mares were foaling late this year. LOL!!

Anna

Anna how wonderful that all went well
laugh.gif
she is just adorable, congratulations.
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

I just love daddy and I am now very jealous
wub.gif

Congratulations Anna!
default_aktion033.gif
She's lovely and doesn't look at all early. Maybe Momma just got the job done ahead of schedule, you know beginners work much slower than someone with experience
default_wink.png

OhhhMyGoodness!!!!
default_wub.png

There ya go making all these folks with late babies jealous!

And the proof that you might as well just throw all those books away
default_yes.gif

Congratulations ~~ Mommy is a clever girl!

Congratulations Carol & Cathy. I was only chatting to Cathy the other night and she was telling me how they had just moved everyone with plenty of time to spare
default_biggrin.png
It's those bumpy Welsh lanes and all of the lovely grass you have that did it ! Lovely colour and a filly too
default_aktion033.gif
ps......you know these Chapella girls are VERY forward LOL
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its the internet, thats the only answer I can come up with all of the strange things going on with horses this year. They are now on the internet where they find all kinds of different answers for the same question, so now there is no one reading the textbook ! !

congratulations on a pretty filly.

Well I'll be!! No I never would have guessed!! You have been such a good Starer w/everyone around here and telling us all to be patient and look what you "gone in dun" ... you snuck a darling little filly right in...I love it!! Guess you dont need to borrow the pink bucket any time soon!!

Anna, Im so thrilled and happy for you Congratulations...does this mean that we all need to start looking for a new Aunt!!

wow...what a cutie...I too have a mare, well 2 of them due the end of July early August..one already has a little bag but nothing I was too concerned about..UNTILL I read your post LOL....wow...glad it all turned out ok..Bless those mares!!!!

Oh my isnt she just the prettiest little thing
default_wub.png
. Your mare obviously decided since they had been moved it was obviously foaling time
default_biggrin.png

I am so GREEN with envy I think I might be sick
default_smileypuke.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

Shimmer is 358 days tomorrow but really I am now thinking it was her 2/3 day flirt with Banner in August that did it. So another 4 wks wait lies ahead of me :arg!

Congrats on your new little girl and looking forward to more photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your new filly!!!!!! Glad she is safely here - and just think, you didn't lose any sleep watching her. You can just go back to losing sleep watching everyone elses!!!!!

Barbie

Thank you so much everyone. We have been argueing and consulting last year's diaries and the little 'covering and foaling' book we keep, as we just cant believe this filly is THAT early. But believe me, the dates add up!

LOL!! Sharon (Shadelady), yes we all know how strong and wilful Chapella's girls can be - I'm just watching out of the window, at two of them having a little disussion over the salt lick!

Baby is loving her huge stable and is skipping and frolicing about, she's peed and poo'd and is drinking for the whole world. LOL!! Had a 'feel' of Chapella's milk and it is really sticky, so am guessing the collostrum has arrived, however we shall be keeping close watch on them both.

They are now well bedded up and all possible draughts excluded - took a bit of doing to straw up a 30'x30' stall LOL! And we have a small rug ready for baby tonight as the temperature is going to drop. Tomorrow we'll shut the others in and they can have the morning out, so will get some more pics as the one I posted here made poor baby look very big headed and she's not!

Again thanks for all the congrats, never again will I tell daughter to 'relax, the mares are all foaling late this year!'
default_rolleyes.gif

Anna

ps. dont worry folk, daughter is in charge of foaling mares this year - so I'm free to keep watching those of your girls that ARE going over their due dates!

Oh Anna congratulations she is a little beauty! So very pleased for you. Sometime I will carry through my threat to visit you, you know . . .

XXX

Oh congrats! She's a pretty doll!
default_wub.png
Her momma & Dragon did a great job!

I'm so happy for you Anna!
default_aktion033.gif

wohoo ! Im so pleased for you , she is adorable congratulations
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

LOL Anna!! I am SOOOOO JEALOUS!! right now!
default_wacko.png
LOL CONGRATULATIONS!!!
default_wub.png
:wub:wub:wub:wub:wub

What a gorgeous little Filly!! can I ask, Was she much relaxed behind? hehe

What a perfect little star on her forhead!! absoloutly BEAUTIFUL!!

thought of any names?? hehe can't wait to see more piccies!!!!

Cassie xoxo

Back