You are going to think I'm a wack-o

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mominis

Reaction score
I know this sounds so "new age," but there is a horse at our barn, Zorro, who has this incredible "zenergy" about him. He is a rescue horse, as are all of the horses that one woman who boards with us were before coming into her ownership. I was talking to her the other day when I was working the boys and went back to her stalls to continue the conversation. I was just drawn to this little black Arabian, for some reason. (No, I have no intention of buying him, it wasn't that kind of a thing) She was telling me the stories of her 6 horses, all previously in bad homes and rescued by her or a local rescue organization and adopted by her.

As she was telling me each horse's story, I kept being drawn to this black horse's stall. His story was that he was put through an auction in South Dakota and the only ones bidding on him were the killers. Once they found out that he was a stallion, they quit bidding on him, as I guess they can't load a stallion on a killer truck or something. Anyway, the horse came back through the auction two days later as a gelding. But, the auctioneer no-saled him. He told the rescue agency that he sells to killer buyers all of the time, as an auctioneer, but for some unexplainable reason, he just couldn't let this guy go that way. The rescue took him and Jane adopted him from them. She worked with him quite a bit and he bcame a favorite of her autistic son. He also was a therapy horse for a little girl with severe panic disorder.

This horse, along with several others moved to our barn when a local barn caught on fire. Our boarding facility opened their doors to the horses left homeless by the fire. This guy was the most damaged by the smoke. He still has breathing problems from it, it happened about 6 weeks ago or so.

Anyway, this horse just has this "I was put on this planet to do something...there is a reason for my being," aire about him. I have definate connections with my horses, particularly Shake and there have been others in the past. But for some reason, with no intent of ever owning this horse, I am just drawn to his energy.

So, am I a nut, or has anyone else ever felt like this about a particular horse that you don't own?

I do! With a few from my farrier services. Some of my clients horses are very drawn to me as I am to them. Many of these horses are handled very little and some of these owners dont handle them at all. Many of them a people shy or right out have no intrest in anyone whatso ever and can be very hard to deal with. For some reason I hear over and over that these minis or donkeys hates everyone and every farrier who comes in contact with them. I have noticed every single one of them but 1 are drawn to me and trust me for some reason right off the bat. Its really weird to see these crazy skittish creatures come right up to me and have almost full trust in me. I do believe its a little to do with I dont approch them, I let them come to me and also I sit very quiet and sit on the ground so I am smaller then them. My clients are amaized at how calm and curious their horses can be with me. Out all of them giving me a little struggle at 1st, all now but 1 prefure me to catch and handle them instead of their owners and all but that 1 are perfect angels when trimming their feet. I have been called the mini horse whisper so many times now from folks. I dont believe so myself but that I give these equines space and time to figure me out 1st.

I also worked at a arab farm yrs back. Out of 33 arabs there, 14 where stallions. Much to my surprise everyone and I mean everyone, barn hands/handlers, trainners, and some owners where afraid of a lot of these stallions. I seen them use whips to move them from stalls to arenas or pastures. Its was crazy to see these so called experianced horse persons act and talk about how crazy and dangerous thes stallions where. I was to never get into a stall because of this reason, but one day, it was rainning really hard out and I broke the rules and cleaned every horse stall with them in them (all mares where in the arena). I did'nt know there was a video camera watching me and was caught cleaning stalls with stallions in them. Every single stud was so sweet and very friendly with me. I snacked everyone all the time and always talked sweet to them and would give them scratchys in their favorite spots. So going into stalls really did'nt scare me much cause they seemed to all love and trust me. Well later that day I was called into the office and was sat down to watch the video. My boss told me I was very careless and I broke the rules & could have been seriously hurt if not killed cause these where crazy studs. BUT he and another "boss" both agreed to not fire me but actually made me the stallion handler cause I was so good with them and had no need to use a whip and the studs all acted beautifly for me when handleing them. The boss's where amaized how these boys took to me the way they did and never offered to hurt me in anyway like they did to everyone else. From there on I was always on call for any stallion handling and It was a great feeling that little ole me was trusted with these magnificent animals worth huge $$$. Untill the farm closed down 2 yrs later, I was still the only person in charge of most of the stud handling. And I was never hurt in anyway by any of them either. They all where my sweet hearts and the men of my life at that time.
default_smile.png

Crazy new-age nut, right here!
default_saludando.gif
You're very lucky to be around a horse like that as if you'll let them they can give you some of the most profound, moving, enlightening experiences you'll ever have. It sounds like this gentleman is a born shaman. What is it about Arabs that they so often have the soul of a sage?
default_wub.png

MindyLee said:
I also worked at a arab farm yrs back. Out of 33 arabs there, 14 where stallions. Much to my surprise everyone and I mean everyone, barn hands/handlers, trainners, and some owners where afraid of a lot of these stallions. I seen them use whips to move them from stalls to arenas or pastures. Its was crazy to see these so called experianced horse persons act and talk about how crazy and dangerous thes stallions where.
People can be friggin' idiots about stallions, especially Arabians. They take a horse who is most likely a high sensitive, give him an existence that any human would consider imprisonment (solitary confinement behind bars, only handled by people with weapons and a deep suspicion of/dislike of them), beat the crap out of them for halter and then expect these exceptionally loving, sensitive, meant-to-live-in-a-tent-with-you horses NOT to go crazy and get aggressive?!
default_wacko.png
How stupid can you get??

Leia

I have one that I own-my grandparents finally gave him to me because we have such a connection. His dam was a pasture born and raised mare and never liked being handled no matter what we tried so we let her be. He wasn't handled as much as he should have been because of it. Plus he's very 'spirited' anyway. He's gorgeous and he knows it. He doesn't like people touching him except me. I always felt drawn to him and would play with him in his pasture all the time. He'd let me walk right up and brush him no problem. He comes up for kisses every morning now, but runs from everyone else. He's my big baby.

He is what Native Americans call a spirit horse. He can look into your heart and soul. It sounds to me as if he is looking into everyone trying to find the special one for him. He will be a one person horse and trust only that one, as he himself is special. He might be trying to tell you something. Go spend some time with him, look into his eyes, blow into his nostrils, see how he treats you, he may be your soul and heart horse, as you already sound as if you have a connection. I had a horse like this one, she and I could communicate like I have never known another connection before, and my husband has one now, both arabs as they are trully people horses. Go explore with him and see what happens.

Many years ago a friend of mine had a little mini mare by the name of Gigi that was given to her when she bought a package of horses from some people. This little mare had a bad bite, one blue eye, wasn't a "great" horse, but she was actually very well bred, quite refined and very proportionate. This little mare LOVED LOVED LOVED me
default_wub.png
! When I would go to visit my friend (which was at least weekly) she would come running over to me and pretty much stuck to my side like glue - she even came to know the sound of my car as it arrived. When I would leave she would run to the very end of the pasture that ajoined the driveway and stay there whinnying for me for hours.

Needlesstosay, my friend couldn't stand it and she gave her to me as a gift. Gigi and my first horse, Hombre, were totally "married", they would lie side by side, eat side by side, did everything together - if he bred another mare, Gigi snubbed him like any self respecting individual would do to a "traitor" - it was fun to be part of the love story. When Hombre died of a twist, Gigi never quite recovered from it.

Thank you for bringing up some old sweet memories -

Stac

Latest posts

Back