yearling with juvenile nose warts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tricetta

Reaction score
default_thud.gif
YUK !! Tiny warts appeared on my yearlings nose. They are not going away, and I'm affraid he won't be able to show. Has anyone had this problem and if so, how do you get rid of them?

Not sure really, they just show up one day and then they are gone just as quickly as they arrived. I was always told to leave them alone and they will go away on their own

I 'pinch' a few of them - don't know if it's true or not but I was told that pushes the 'bug' into the horse's system and they build up antibodies faster to fight it. Other than that - I do nothing and just let it run its course.

I was told that the warts are a virus; but nothing to worry about and they clear up on their own-that it's better to leave them alone and wait. (you don't want scars either). I am not sure how long it took our friend's Shetland show colt to have them go away-but he's fine now and beautiful and showing.

Juvenile warts are something that comes and goes. I just had a case and its been three weeks - now they are drying up on their own. I did increase her top dressed loose minerals to full pony size - that usually does the trick and turns the tide for me - it likes they are short on something. NO one else has caught them.

Good Luck!

Unless you need to go to a show, leave them. They will go away in a few weeks.

Caused by a virus. Will only get once in their life. But always harbor the virus.

Dr. Taylor

I had a vet years back who would shave off a wart or two and feed it to them.. gross but they seemed to go away. Of course, they went away just about as quickly if we did nothing LOL.

Jan

I had a horse years ago that got them over the whole end of his nose and then they were growing on top of each other, we tried everything and one of them was castor oil, well all I did was dap it on top of them, with no luck, so I tried putting it on so that it touched the base of them, I used a eye dropper and it worked they started coming off without any scars.

Well it's been about 2 weeks now that he's had them. His first show isn't until May, so I do have time to watch the lil ugly things and
default_pray.gif
they dissapear. Thank you everyone for all your advices.

Back