Yearling with a runny nose

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a self proclaimed lurker here on the boards, visiting when I'm searching for information. However, I have a yearling filly that has been sick for awhile now so I'm looking for other opinions.

On Sunday, October 30th, I noticed she was laying down a lot and didn't seem like herself, yawning a lot. She started to get a runny nose and runny eye, both on the right side of her face. The runny nose was a faint yellow color and had a medium thickness to it. She had a temperature that day as well as the next morning so I called our vet. He felt confident that if she had a temperature her body was trying to fight off whatever it was and to just keep a close eye on her. She was eating and drinking normally so the vet instructed us to keep him updated on her temperature and if she went off feed. He had me check for swollen lymph nodes under her jaw line but she never developed anything like that. Her temperature finally broke within a couple of days and she hasn't run one since then.

On November 25th we took her in to the vet because she still had the runny nose. He checked her temperature which was normal. He ruled out strangles quickly and suggested we start her on an expectorant (Equi Phar, if I remember correctly, the human equivalent to Mucinex), twice a day on her feed. He said the nasal discharge would possibly get thicker because of this and that she might cough more (she's always had a periodic dry cough since birth) but I've actually noticed her coughing less.

On December 9th we called the vet saying that the discharge wasn't getting any lighter so he suggested we start her on an antibiotic. I can't remember the exact name but it is the human equivalent of Bactrim. We finished it 10 days later and she still had the runny nose. We called again and started her on the second round of the same antibiotic December 23rd.

I called the vet once more last week to say we had finished the 2nd round of antibiotic and she still had a runny nose. He had us check her temperature, which was normal. Because of this, he told me to keep the routine of the expectorant (which we have done continuously since November 25th) and no more antibiotic. He just said to 'watch her'.

All the while, she has continued eating and drinking as normal. The nasal discharge has remained the same faint yellow color but HAS lessened as far as amount. She seems better but isn't quite as spunky as she usually is. I worry about the long term affects the medication/sickness might have on her. Has anyone else had this experience? I am considering taking her to another vet but worry they will same the exact same thing. We rarely have sick horses at our place so this is really a first for me. Any help would be much appreciated!

Being she is a yearling, have your vet x-ray her upper teeth on the side of the runny nose. She may have a retained cap causing a new tooth to grow the wrong way and can be rupturing into her sinus cavity. Also, have them scope her guttural pouch and see if it needs cleaned. If your vet is not equipped to do this, you need to find one that is knowledgeable about this. We have had 2 yearling fillies with the same symptoms and this was their problem. Good luck with your filly

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually if both nostrils are runny then it is systemic but if one nostril is runny it usually is sinus related. If it is still just one then I would pay for the second opinion. Maybe the antibiotics weren't effective with what was going on and needs something different.

Thank you both for your responses. I think I may try calling our normal vet to see if they have the capabilities for the x-ray and scope and if they sound at all hesitant try a new vet. I did forget to mention in my first post that our vet said she does have some fluid in her right lung so I'm not sure if that would rule out anything in her sinus area.

Hello-

Hands down, EXCEDE is our choice for respiratory infections! We have had great success with it! PM me if you have any questions.

Back