Yearling colt got with mare in heat

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunrise Valley

Reaction score
Hi!

My colt, who is 12 months old, got in with a mare in heat last night. It appears that he might have actually bred her. I hope she is not bred, but I know it is a possibility. My question is, can this foal be registered is she turns up in foal? (Both mare and colt are registered.)

Lisa

I believe that the foal would NOT be eligible for registration. . .I think both parents have to be 3yrs. of age when the foal is born

I had checked on this before. With AMHA the foal would be able to be registered and long as the mare and stud are of AMHA. AMHR will NOT both the mare and stud have to be of the age of three. A friend of mine may be in the same boat. Not being able to register a foal.
default_no.gif
If this is your case I hope they didn't bred.

Wait two weeks then give the mare 0.5cc Estramate in the muscle, or 1cc of Lutalyse. Your vet can do this or could prescribe it for you. Its very cheap ($1 a dose) and EVERY vet will have a bottle of one or the other on their truck. It will cause the mare to cycle again, preventing a pregnancy. A yearling colt IS fertile.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Nathan suggested, the shot is less expensive and far less hassle all around !

S

Wait round her days and if she does not return in heat have her jabbed. I would not recommend having this done as a matter of course, I would definitely wait and see if she returns in heat.

There are quite a few side effects (none all that serious) of jabbing to lose a conception, but they are far less risky than letting the mare have the foal!

The side effects for Estramate are minimal, you most likely won't notice anything. Lutalyse is more harsh, and results in a few hours of cramping and discomfort. The side effects only last a few hours, usually less than 90 minutes. FAR preferred over having a foal.

I understand not wanting an unplanned foal to happen, but it isn't dangerous to the mare, she isn't the yearling. The colt is, I am going to assume the mare is older since she didn't say it was a yearling or two year old filly.

Any foaling is a risk to the mare.

I did not ask if this poster was an experienced breeding person, I was assuming that she was not.

Apologies if I was wrong!

Personally, and flame away if you wish, I'm totally with Nathan on this. Why risk the potential complications of a pregnancy with one that is an "oops" breeding? I've read a lot on the subject of forced cycling and I personally believe the benefits can/do far outweigh any risks.

I hope your mare didn't take, but if she did...you have the option.

Hi!

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear on the mare's age. She is Lucky Four Orion Obsession, 7 years old, and an experienced broodmare. She is slated to be one of this colt's mares, just thought it would be another year or two down the road!

I will wait and see if she comes back into season next month, maybe he didn't even accomplish the deed.

It's good to know I have options, thanks to you all!

Lisa

Sunrise Valley Miniatures

Latest posts

Back