yawning on Minis??? Does that mean anything besides...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmkrieg

Reaction score
I know that mares that are close to foaling will yawn. But I have this mare that was sick with Diahrea from switching feed (TOTALLY MY FAULT AND I KNOW BETTER) but I had to switch her feed and she got sick. Well last night when I went in to give her the Keopectate she was yawning an aweful lot. I didn't know if it was just from being tired or if it was a sign of something else.

Yawning is often a sign of pain in horses.

With our stallion and all his foals, it's a sign of boredom!

Yawning in horses is generally thought to be related to stress...pain, waiting to be fed, ???? whatever is stressful for that horse.

Charlotte

My vet told me that horses down't "yawn". They do what looks like a human yawn, but it isn't the same reflex (as when we're tired, etc.). He said it is sometimes an indication of pain, but most often there is crud in the back of their teeth and throat and they're just moving it. I thought that was interesting because I've always thought they were tired! I notice my horses do it more when we have softer hay -- I think because it gets stuck to the back of the pallet.

I've heard that constant yawning can be an indication of colic, which can present itself in about a million different ways. I'd consult your vet.

[SIZE=14pt]I was told by several vets that yawning is a sign of pain or stress.[/SIZE]

Lyn

:no: Great, my poor baby!! When I was standing in Maggies stall I noticed her yarn like 6 times in a row back to back...then I gave her the Keopectate that the vet recommended. This morning she was acting perfectly fine. No more diahrea and wanting her food.

I feel like such a bad mom switching her feed like that. The problem is I went to the freezer Saturday and noticed the feed in the freezer was low so I usually keep extra bags in the back of my SUV. So I went to my car and noticed I was out. The only feed store anywhere close by me, which is actually 25 min. away was closed. I don't know of another dealer that sells it anywhere close in my area. So I went to another feed store that carries Buckeye but they dont carry Buckeye Supreme, which is what I feed. They only carry Grow N Win and a few others. Well I had been talking withRobyn about switching them to Grow n Win anyway so I just switched them over. Maggie is the only one that had gotten diahrea from it. Poor Maggie!!

Well when I would have my horse in the house and just relaxing with them They would yawn and I would ask them so tired are you sooo tired and this was even outside in the warm afternoon sun also not just in the house..Soo tired are you sooo tired, and soon the eyes would close and fall asleep on my shoulder in this case No Stress No Colic No Pain of any type was causing them to Yawn.. And Now my donkey does the same thing and soon he has his head on my lap...No Stress there,, no pain there,, no colic there.. So I don't buy that at all,,, may in some cases but over the past 20 years I have has this yawning with the little ones and ALL of them at one time or another when I am in a relaxing time with them they do this. And others I have had, and nothing at all was causing them to yawn but being in a nice relaxed situation that they loved~!! Even my Arabian mare of 25 years back did...

I'm very glad your little one is doing better! Thanks for letting us knwo.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back